Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What to charge for some pics I took

Yesterday I was photographing (closeups, mostly) beautiful flowers in a garden at an apartment complex near home. A man approached and introduced himself as the owner of a landscape management company that provides flower garden setup and maintenance services to over 180 apartment complexes in the area. He said since I must be a professional photographer (No, just an avid hobbyist), and had professional gear (K20D with BG, the Pentax 17-70 DA lens, and tripod) that he thought they (his company) might be interested in having me shoot pics of his best work around town to be used in print and website advertising.

I'd love to accommodate him and gave him name, email and phone - got same from him - so we can explore this further. I have PP'd 4 sample images (no watermark) that I thought I'd email him, but to be effective, he will want other images showing more than just one flower or plant in a pic. He'll want longer shots showing location information and overall design of the gardens. This means I will need to allocate time, borrow a ladder for higher angle shots, and actually plan and shoot it as an assignment.

I'm wondering if anyone here can suggest some guidelines for me on what to charge for files and/or prints I provide him and if anyone has some sort of basic standard contract I can use to ensure: 1) that I get paid the agreed amount, 2) that the usage rights are defined, and 3) whether and how I receive credit on print or web media.

All of us, I'm sure would like to make some money now and then to help support our LBA and other costs. I know I won't get rich from this, but where does one begin in the negotiation of such a deal?

He even expressed a desire to have me come to his greenhouse and shoot individual plants to show in his presentations when bidding his jobs.

Help! and thanks in advance.

Tim

08-13-2010, 01:08 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moved to the pro/business section.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You could ask him what his budget for the project is. If he already thinks you're a pro, you have the advantage :-)

I would work in the range of $150/day, $80 for 1/2 day for your fee, plus some per-shot usage of perhaps $25.
08-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
These links may help with pricing (your area) and setting up a contract. Once you have the clients specific requirements you can modify the sample contract. In the Chicago area a single exterior real estate shoot (average home) with 6 exterior images runs $150. If the images were to be used for ads, an additional fee would be charged.

Commercial Photography Price List

Photographer Agreement Sample