Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2010, 04:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Recommendation for wedding photographer(s) in Sydney, Australia?

Just wondering if you guys know of good wedding photographers in Sydney, Australia? What kind of things should I look for, and how much can I expect it to cost?

It'll be nice if they use Pentax! But of course that's not mandatory.

Prices seem to vary a lot and it seems quality varies quite a bit as well.

If you would rather not post personal recommendations on the forum, please PM me.

Thanks for your help in advance.

09-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moving this to professional photography.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Questions to ask anyone (whether they were recommended or not)

1. what is your day job? Most wedding photogs do something else during the week. When you call a professional plumber you get a plumber but when you hire a wedding photographer you might be getting a cop or a school teacher etc. That does not mean you should not hire the school teacher but at least its a good ice-breaker so you understand who you are talking to.

2. How many weddings have you shot as the primary shooter? A lot of people decide they are going to try wedding photography - a lot fewer people stick with it for more than 1 or 2 seasons.

3. Ask to see at least 2 sample albums. Since printed albums cost hundreds of dollars to print expect to see at least one digital version. Wedding photography needs to tell a story. The highlight photos you see on the website might be the only good pictures from the day - you need to see how ALL the pictures from the day come together into a story.

4. Look for a list of testimonials. Past brides do not want to be called up by every prospective future bride but they should at least of some quotes from SEVERAL happy customers

5. prices may not vary as much as you think. With the tough economy and increasing competition I dropped my rates a bit but I also changed my packages to look cheaper at a glance. I did a 6hr package instead of an 8hr... and I took finished albums out of all my package lists and instead included some "credit" towards albums. Most experienced photographers will fall within a similar price range which around here is ~$2000 for a half day coverage plus flush-mount album. Those that are MUCH cheaper probably don't know what they are doing... those that are MUCH more no doubt offer a very nice and reliable product - but they are catering to a higher end market that is after more of an "experience".

If you want to buy me a ticket I'll come shoot your wedding
09-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
Forum Member

I have a friend that does wedding photography. I'm going to be getting him to do my wedding coming up in January.. I think he has a good eye for setting a scene and capturing the moment well. I've viewed several of his previous weddings as albums and they look great.

See his website at Anthony Winning - Sydney Wedding Photography

He uses Nikon gear.

Hope this Helps!

Doug

09-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
iht
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Douf. Congratulations and let us know how you go with Anthony.

And cwood, thanks for the list of questions. Very insightful. I would fly you over if I could!

Any other recommendations?