Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2010, 04:59 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So you want to be a pro... did you plan!

Ok by my nature I am a pretty planny guy... I have my coffee maker set in the morning... I open my programs in the same order most mornings... lay my clothing out the night before for the next day... with options in case of rain or snow...

So that SAVE MY A$$ today!!

Today was my first pro gig for someone I don't know... not family... nor distance cousin... nor acquaintance... until today I had never ever meet this person...

I also had NO idea what she wanted... nor did she... she had seen some of my work and decided she would hire me... I gave her my price and she said work your magic, she need stuff for her marketing director as she is re-branding... she mentioned multi-facets and other things that lead me to know that if I didn't mess this up too bad there is more work here for me...

(As a funny little note, she asked me tax advice during the gig... she knows I am a professional accountant and asked for some free advice... since she is paying me for the photos I gave it... but still... couldn't she see I was working )

So I go to unpack my bag... this is a multimedia shoot with 2 video cameras and me shooting some video and some photos... all B roll stuff for making her campaign later...

I open my first video camera bag last night... to make sure I have everything... damn... someone borrowed the power pack... it is 400km away... so now it is a 1 video camera and one other camera shoot...

That is ok... I still had that back-up camera so things are still good...

In a moment of stupidity I had sold the lends I had used for this... and ordered a new one... that new lens has not shown up yet... shipping is taking its' time! So I who had too many lens just last week... am down to just the kit 18-55 and a 18-250... I go with the kit lens, it is less gainly and very light to handhold for the 45 min speech...

So I get there... 1.5 hours early... I wanted to scout the location... I tried different locations for the safety video... I talk the tech into recording the audio track for me...

I go to put SD card in my camera... I forgot my class 10 card in the computer at home... I had my back-up... but it was only 4GB and older... so no good...

I sprint to the camera shop up the road... shell out way too much for the SD card... but now I have what I need... because I showed up early I could cover my bases... the back-up SD would have worked but that is ok I wanted yet another class 10 card...

So the shoot goes good.... the camera does over heat... but there was only about 5 mins left after an hour of shooting... I drop the KX and pick-up my film camera for some stock images... i know the safety camera is rolling so i am ok for a few moments...

camera cools down... I get the exit interviews... best presentation ever! ect...

The client is very happy... she has not noticed a hitch... i tell her that there will be draft stuff she can access on Sat from Vegas via the internet to share with her marketing person...

She tries to talk me into going on the road with her for a month through Northern Sask and Alberta... it would be work everyday... but with a 7 month prego wife at home and my accounting practice I need to pass on the offer... but we set dates for next shoot in Saskatoon... she is so glad I was so helpful... I helped her set-up... I calmed her nerves... I walked through the crowd of about 1000 with a big smile on... getting them to stand-up and dance... big win for me... almost failed... but having back-ups and planning meant I got it done... didn't go off how I had hoped... but the film is in the can... the client is' happy... and I cashed my first cheque as a semi-pro...

I know I will not do this full time till I sell my firm and retire in 30 years... but it was nice to know I could pull off a gig and not preform the EPIC FAIL that I was sure it would be...

That's my story... no real point... just some long winded entertainment for anyone who cannot sleep... you should have fallen asleep by now... Personally I cannot believe you are still reading this blither... I mean by this point it is almost SPAM... ok well that is all... go read the next post... go on...

still here... LEAVE... !!!

Fine I am leaving....

Leave...

No you leave...

Fine I am done!

09-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #2

I was feeling a bit of nausea near the end, but then you started them dancing and it made it all better. Glad it worked out ok for you! And congrats to you and the Mrs. With a little one on the way, you definitely are needed at home!
09-23-2010, 06:16 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Over here we have an old military saying which your tale reminded me of:- "adopt the 6 P Principle" (Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance)

It's one I always endeavor to work with, buts that's just before "Murphy's Law" (if it can go wrong, it will) is applied.
09-23-2010, 06:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Over here we have an old military saying which your tale reminded me of:- "adopt the 6 P Principle" (Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance)

It's one I always endeavor to work with, buts that's just before "Murphy's Law" (if it can go wrong, it will) is applied.
I like that 6 P Principle.... I might need to pull that out one day...

09-23-2010, 07:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Great story about handling the stresses and issues of a real gig. On more than one occasion I've had to rely upon my backup gear.

On the one hand you think that taking pictures is taking pictures, paid or not. But on the other hand you cannot come back empty handed or with sub-par work. You can have a bad day on a personal photo walk. You can't when you're getting paid.

This post deserves some reputation!