Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My Relationship with Pentax a Very Long Goodbye

It was stated earlier by a member on Pentax Forums that Pentax might have considered giving me the K5 or 645D to use as a marketing tool. I did request a K5 and was denied, but was offered a Pro price.

(This is a repeat from a response on another post)

To be honest with you, even though I will get the K5, I am in the process of negotiating sponsorship with another brand. Pentax have not been there for me in that; I have done more for Pentax in my milieu than any other Pro has done for them for a very long time. I will stop going out of my way to tell others what gear I use unless asked of course. We shall see what we shall see.

Now, if you can find a Photographer (TODAY that is) using a Pentax and being published in Harper's BAZAAR's around the world as well as VOGUE, I would love to meet him. The 645D may change that all, but until then, I was unique in the use of the K series for exclusive Pro use (Fashion & Beauty).

Pardon, what may seem arrogant, but that is the reality presently. In fact there are 2 major Harper's BAZAAR stories coming out on Sunday shot with Pentax that I will post when out.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/115646-pentax-give-ben...#ixzz10TS7nA6O

Last edited by benjikan; 09-25-2010 at 03:14 AM.
09-24-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i didnt realised that Pentax marketing department sucks so bad (this is just deplorable...) - thay propably arn't interested in pro market at all.... its just waste of network space to describe haw bad is it....
09-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What marketing department???
09-24-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
i mean this guy sitting inside the room with the label: personnel only, just behind the lift entrence... in the building of Pentax

09-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think you're right about the 645D, it will most likely gather a following in the pro arena, but I have my doubts that Pentax was ever prepared commit to sponsored shooters at this point in the game. Based on what I've seen(to date), I'd say the company is not very well poised to deal with much in terms of infrastructure. Which leads me to think that they may not even have a department in place to deal with such requests. Though I might be wrong.

TBH. I never gave that area much thought considering Pentax has always come accross as the underdog in the prosumer area of things. Though I am feeling the burn of jumping systems this year given the way things have been moving along with respect to competitive systems(no... I'm not talking about the 7D or D7000 ).

If anything, I guess you can say the camera's served you well.
I know on my end, that whatever direction I decided to take in the next few months, I have no reason to look back with anything but satisfaction from my own experiences.
09-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
i mean this guy sitting inside the room with the label: personnel only, just behind the lift entrence... in the building of Pentax
Oh, him.

I thought you were talking about the guy that is in a 1 meter cube with no windows or doors who doesn't even wonder why he is there, as opposed to a guy with a view of the entire world wondering what it all means, or even the guy in a 3 meter square office with a window on each wall who occasionally might look outside to see what is going on,
09-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Apparently the head of U.S. marketing has been out golfing with Jimmy Hoffa since early May.

09-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #8

Marketing is a word that means nothing to Pentax, i'm afraid
They are very stupid to ignore someone like you, benjikan, who makes more for Pentax than thousands of users

It's time for the head of Hoya/Pentax to reconsider their point of view and give you the sponsorship you deserve !
09-24-2010, 12:25 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

So what you are saying Ben is that Pentax doesn't want to be the bitch to a whore photographer, so you are gonna go whoring somewhere else?

Bye.
09-24-2010, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #10
Inactive Account

09-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello Ben,

I am newish to the Pentax brand and, and I don't know all the details of your history with them. Since the Hoya merger their actions have been very confusing. Maybe they have a plan, and maybe they don't, but it seems silly that they would choose to burn their bridge with you. I wish you both the best:

To Ben, I wish continued success and creative inspiration

To Pentax, I wish new success and innovation in the camera business

Ben, I hope you will continue to use Pentax gear and participate in these forums - you have been an incredible asset to this community!
09-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #12
raz

I don't think they have a plan, at least not in the world outside Japan. It seem all pentax people that are non Japanese don't know to much and don't have any power.

The video with the k5 with the 2 Pentax marketing guys in the room without windows presenting the K5 while they probably have only a K7 in the hand, tell the whole sad story.
09-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
So what you are saying Ben is that Pentax doesn't want to be the bitch to a whore photographer, so you are gonna go whoring somewhere else?

Bye.
So well stated...and with such panache. Oh...and if you didn't know already, sponsorships are common practice with all brands and in all areas. Just look at Nike, Nestle, TAMA, Fender, etc etc etc etc....
09-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I'm personally into Pentax gear for absolutely nothing recent Pentax or Hoya has done. In fact, it probably has more to do with Asahi Optical and their philosophy from the 1950s and 1960s. Pentax needs to get out one of those high tech ass-cams of theirs, and find out how some the upper echelon has cranialrectumitis.
09-24-2010, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote

Bye.
I'm with him.

Jumping ship because they won't give you free swag is lame as hell regardless if you're an evangelist or not. If I were Pentax I certainly wouldn't sponsor a photographer with a sense of entitlement.
Closed Thread