Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Pentax marketing?

just look at how the k5 was announced.
2 words. A Mess.

they don't talk to each other, they don't exist

if Pentax thinks limiting the K5's production will keep the prices up, good luck.

that's Pentax marketing for you.

09-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
Jumping ship because they won't give you free swag is lame as hell regardless if you're an evangelist or not. If I were Pentax I certainly wouldn't sponsor a photographer with a sense of entitlement.
did he said he was jumping ship? or for what reason?
09-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm with him.

Jumping ship because they won't give you free swag is lame as hell regardless if you're an evangelist or not. If I were Pentax I certainly wouldn't sponsor a photographer with a sense of entitlement.
Wow you guys - he didn't say he was jumping ship. I'm sure Ben will use the gear that best suits his needs. If the ergonomics and glass of Pentax are needed by Ben, he will use them, just not tout them to the masses. This is completely reasonable - a professional at his level needs to have a good relationship with his brand, and their dealers and representatives.

I smell envy, and it stinks.
09-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

+1 to that . I think pentax offerred a Pro price is appropriate .

09-24-2010, 12:52 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no problem with Pentax sponsoring Benjikan, in fact I think it would be in their best interest to do so, as he has been a good ambassador for the brand. It's also reasonable for him to consider other sponsors if they will provide him with free equipment and Pentax will not. It's just business.
09-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member

He just said he's negotiating a sponsorship deal with another brand. As much as I love my Pentax stuff, if another mfg. were to give me all the gear I need to earn a living, it'd be pretty hard to turn that down. Though I'd almost certainly still use Pentax for personal stuff. You will do that, won't you Ben? ..........Ben?
09-24-2010, 12:59 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with him.

There are two sides to a coin - there is an element of truth here Ben that I'm sure you may also appreciate but choose not to see. Canon and Nikon would have no problems sponsoring you with multiple high-end cameras because such is their budget and huge profit margins. It's no skin off their teeth.

Move to Pentax, and with the limited market and production line they have (esp. the 645D) there is MUCH less bargaining capacity to play around with. With this understanding, you might be grateful for the pro price offer and be happy with going for a K-5 or even a 645D under that agreement. Indeed, stating that you're happy to rescind your ad hoc promotion of Pentax products for their failure to offer you free gear does convey a notion of assumed privilege from your status as a renowned fashion photographer.

What you could do for Pentax has obvious potential and benefits to their marketing, and may be a good move for them. Either way, it appears Pentax are sticking to their principles and may be justified.

09-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #23

Photos: Gallery
Ben, if you want to sell your equipment, just contact me ;-)

I am member of a quite well-known event-site which focuses on concerts, cultural events and students events. We've also tried to find a sponsor since we employ several photographers, we've had a talk with Sony, Nikon, Canon and Pentax, but didn't get a sponsorship ... Pentax offered discounts. I hope Ben is lucky ...
09-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #24

I'm with him.

I guess you know nothing about Pro world. This is the way how great Pro photographers work. I know nothing about Ben, but almost all famous photographers have sponsorship with major gear manufacturers. It is just like Tiger Woods represents Nike. I believe Pentax do offer some kind of sponsorship to photographers. The only reasons why Ben's request got denied were probably because he is not good enough (or famous enough). This is just my guess. No offense.
09-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #25

kind of ironic that this is happening just as one of your most stunning photos got into the premiere gallery. congratulations on that, by the way. i knew when it came up for voting it was yours and i thought then it was premiere gallery material. it's too bad it was placed in the gallery on the same day you are announcing your unhappiness with pentax. would have loved to have seen some of your stuff taken with a 645d even though i'm not a follower of fashion photography.
09-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #26

Please write letter to Ned Bunell !!!
09-24-2010, 01:35 PM   #27
mdf
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
This is such a beautiful story, thanks for sharing.
It certainly shows me how the whole brand debate is such nonsense, you proved it's possible to shoot for Vogue with a pentax, or with whatever brand you want to use.
And please, it seems to me it's really a bargain to have some pro photographers sponsored for the "small" price of a bunch of k5, given today advertising costs.
We are not talking about the infrastructure of a pro network, it seems to me benjikan was only asking a little satisfaction for his commitment, but I may have misunderstood something. (I'm not a pro nor do I understand nothing about pro world)
09-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I thought Pentax was a outdoors brand....
09-24-2010, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
So well stated...and with such panache. Oh...and if you didn't know already, sponsorships are common practice with all brands and in all areas. Just look at Nike, Nestle, TAMA, Fender, etc etc etc etc....
So, either Pentax has a no sponsorship policy which you have suddenly decided that you disagree with and so are gonna pack up your marbles and go home, or they have a sponsorship policy and they aren't sponsoring you for reasons unknown, and you are gonna pack up your marbles and go home.

Don't look at this as a slap in the face by Pentax, look at it as an opportunity to find out why they don't want to sponsor you.
09-24-2010, 02:12 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
I thought Pentax was a outdoors brand....
See? At present, no one seems to have any clear idea of what kind of brand it is. Well, no one on this forum.

Perhaps it's a matter of Hoya's pure inexperience as a camera company. I've had some exposure to Japanese B2B, which is Hoya's background. Sponsoring some fellow on the other side of the world to appeal to a retail customer base you acquired by accident would be *way* off Hoya's radar.

Ben, you've directly contributed some helpful responses to my queries in the past and I'm sorry to see that you've run into a brick wall here. Surely there's no other way that Hoya's going to get exposure in those magazines for the kind of outlay that we're talking about!
Closed Thread