Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #91
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Good one, Wheatfield.

09-27-2010, 04:46 PM   #92
Veteran Member

I have to wonder if the OP's post is going to cost him more than any camera equipment ever will?

Thank you
Russell
09-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #93

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
I have to wonder if the OP's post is going to cost him more than any camera equipment ever will?

Thank you
Russell
what would it cost him? even if some don't like his saying openly what he thinks, it won't take away his talent. will he get a reputation as a prima donna? that could even be a plus in fashion photography. will pentax refuse to ever let him use pentax equipment again? can't see how that could be enforced or even how they would benefit.

at least benjikan's plaint is filled with some eye-popping photos and good humor.
09-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
a Very Long Goodbye
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
"I Want to Play": I Want to Play
OMG this is unexpectedly the best thread ever! LOL

09-27-2010, 05:22 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patk Quote
what would it cost him? even if some don't like his saying openly what he thinks,
I'm just pointing out what you already knew. Look there is an elephant in the room.

Thank you
Russell
09-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #96

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
I'm just pointing out what you already knew. Look there is an elephant in the room.

Thank you
Russell
the real elephant in the room is that benjikan's thread is a parody of the long goodbye threads others have written at pf and elsewhere as they took off for ff land or faster af land or higher iso land or all of the above. many of those who remain and still moan on the forums about the lack of this or that want it from pentax for "free" or as close thereto as possible. well, no harm in asking. so why should anyone begrudge someone with enough talent to actually make some big-time magazine covers for asking and lamenting? there's room for just about everyone on the internet. no need for anyone to kick a benjikan or a no-name for speaking up.
09-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
actually i have no idea what the marketing or pr people at Pentax is doing. no wonder they are hiring an external agency to do the branding.

in the grand scope of things, its cheaper to have people out there giving the brand exposure compared to some fantastic marketing blitzkrieg which chances are will be forgotten..provided there was one in the first place.

Pentax may listen to what the people want but i wonder if they notice the people who help them stay in the black.

09-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
in the grand scope of things, its cheaper to have people out there giving the brand exposure...
Other than in camera ads themselves, where does the camera brand name pop up in a fashion magazine shot?

I know Eric Meola used Kodachrome, but I have no clue as to the camera. Ansel Adams used, uh, a view camera. Weegee had some kind of rangefinder (Graflex?).
William Wegman - no clue. Horst - no clue. And these are photographers whose names I recognize and whose work I appreciate....
09-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #99
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to admit to only having skimmed the numerous pages of comments that precede my post, but there are a couple of things that came to mind. My apologies if they were already covered by someone else. Here are my thoughts:
  • Corporate sponsorships are nice
  • Sometimes they are from camera makers...other times not. Yes, tripod, lighting, and even bag makers offer various levels of sponsorship.
  • Some pro photogs have them...the vast majority do not
  • Almost all pro photogs purchase, use, and wear out their own gear. It is a business expense just like studio rental and airfare.
  • When you have a corporate sponsorship, you are beholden to your handlers
Whether Ben should get a free $1500 camera is sort of silly. After all, Pentax was giving K-7s away this time last year in several major cities around the U.S. to people who walked in off the street. Whether his talent warrants serious consideration from Pentax for corporate sponsorship is far less silly and obviously a reasonable possibility. The question that comes to my mind is why he would want to go that route (see the last bullet point above). After all, he has been there, done that, and it did not work out well when he was part of the stable.

Steve

(I have had opportunity to ask hard questions of a Pentax pro and was politely not given a meaningful answer...no surprise...the same would be true if I queried a Canon, Nikon, or <name your brand> employee about known product deficiencies.)

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-27-2010 at 09:42 PM.
09-28-2010, 01:33 AM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patk Quote
the real elephant in the room is that benjikan's thread is a parody of the long goodbye threads others have written at pf and elsewhere as they took off for ff land or faster af land or higher iso land or all of the above. many of those who remain and still moan on the forums about the lack of this or that want it from pentax for "free" or as close thereto as possible. well, no harm in asking. so why should anyone begrudge someone with enough talent to actually make some big-time magazine covers for asking and lamenting? there's room for just about everyone on the internet. no need for anyone to kick a benjikan or a no-name for speaking up.
Businesses operate under different rules and there is no way to separate the business from the individual in this case. I'm not kicking, just commenting on what the OP may not see or realize. We often are most blind to our own actions.

Thank you
Russell
09-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #101
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A couple of samples from my last 2 Harper's BAZAAR shoots...Shot with the K20D & Pentax 12-24 &16-50 lenses...
Attached Images

Last edited by benjikan; 09-28-2010 at 04:23 PM.
09-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
A couple of samples from my last 2 Harper's BAZAAR shoots...Shot with the K20D & Pentax 12-24 &16-50 lenses...
Makes me sick to look at this picture: I'm jealous!!
Keep them posted those very strong images ! Lovely!!

JP
09-29-2010, 05:08 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Makes me sick to look at this picture: I'm jealous!!
Keep them posted those very strong images ! Lovely!!

JP
Don't be jealous..What you do is just different than what I do...
09-29-2010, 05:12 PM   #104
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yoda: "Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed that is."
Anakin: "What must I do, Master Yoda?"
Yoda: "Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose."
09-29-2010, 05:41 PM   #105
Veteran Member

just had a look at you site Ben....awesome stuff mate...Pentax should be falling over themselves to get their product in your hands...

To all the disgruntled posters....I thought as you did until I took the time to look at this blokes site and work within it....he ain't a amateur looking for hand outs....hes the real deal looking to be a team player with a brand that he respects....although Id question your thought process in posting you dirty undies on the net..

having said that,,,great work..your living the dream that most here would give their right arm for...Kudos
Closed Thread