Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Perhaps what you need to do, as opposed to quoting an hourly rate, and then getting into an argument about how much time you spend, is to quote a price for the work, and a breakdown of tasks with "typical" times, but no hard quote or hourly rate.

there are 2 reasons to do this, one is so that they understand what you are doing and what you are promising to do, compared to perhaps a compeditor, but it avoids disclosing hourly rates.

The up side is it gives the potential customer something to base how you put the package price together, as well as any deliverables, the down side is there will always be someone who is a real pain in the @$$ that makes you spend more than necessary because they want to get their money's worth.

ANy one who diggs deeper into your price is someone who thinks he is a business man and by getting inside your price can talk you down. Unless you are in left firld with price, you should just walk away from someone like that because they are spending more money in their time, than they are saving.
Oh I'm not arguing with anyone believe me. lol

I have to say Lowell that makes perfect sense and I sort of did it that way to begin with. Then the influx of questions started coming..."Well how many people and how much time does that cover"? "Can you photograph my entire extended family, do senior photos with props and take pictures of my dog spot in that one fee and in that time frame"? "What if it only takes one hour...how much do you charge for an hour"? Or "Do you do anything 'special' for that price?" SPECIAL??? Can you define special please??? lmao Good grief. Mind you I'm trying to keep a good attitude about all of this and chuckle but truly it does make you a bit crazy, as I mentioned in my OP.

Ohhhh dear....well I'll get it worked out. I think I will probably nicely refer this one person to someone else for now (the one that is pestering me for the line item cost of everything, from soup to nuts). Honestly, you are so right about the walking away part in this regard.

Last edited by Naturenut; 10-22-2010 at 12:22 PM.
10-25-2010, 05:53 AM   #17

Original Poster
Okay I just had to say that graphic where I wrote in c-r-a-z-y is HYSTERICAL! lol I love it!
10-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
Okay I just had to say that graphic where I wrote in c-r-a-z-y is HYSTERICAL! lol I love it!
It is funny and very efficient in communicating a feeling where, lets say, you are very tempted to ditch your manners entirely in utter frustration (and doing something which might get you bundled and locked up like that would seem deeply satisfying ;-) ?
10-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
Oh I'm not arguing with anyone believe me. lol

I have to say Lowell that makes perfect sense and I sort of did it that way to begin with. Then the influx of questions started coming..."Well how many people and how much time does that cover"? "Can you photograph my entire extended family, do senior photos with props and take pictures of my dog spot in that one fee and in that time frame"? "What if it only takes one hour...how much do you charge for an hour"? Or "Do you do anything 'special' for that price?" SPECIAL??? Can you define special please??? lmao Good grief. Mind you I'm trying to keep a good attitude about all of this and chuckle but truly it does make you a bit crazy, as I mentioned in my OP.

Ohhhh dear....well I'll get it worked out. I think I will probably nicely refer this one person to someone else for now (the one that is pestering me for the line item cost of everything, from soup to nuts). Honestly, you are so right about the walking away part in this regard.
I can't believe some of this. I would anticipate that someone looking for photos would themselves, now exactly who and what they want photographed. Your pride should be for exactly what they ask for, no more / no less. otherwise, what they are doing is hiring you to come for a pre-determined amount of time where you are not in control of anything, and they are directing you. The next thing you know, you will be photographing unnatural acts with a pony

When you sit down with a prospective client you should go through all the questions. Maybe you should have a little checklist,
- number of people, and group shots or single portraits etc.
- family pets (this is important because pets take time to behave)
- indoors or outdoors
- natural background or custom backdrop.
- traditional portraits or more informal shots.
- number of outfits per person (time to change etc), or props each person will want.
- survey of shooting location, lighting, background distractions, etc

With that done you should have no issue.

Planning out the shoot this way lets the customer see the work involved and they have a good feel for what you are going to do, and when the individuals need to be ready for the shots. It also makes you look organized.

Once you are ready to start on the day, run through it with them again, and make certain they are clear on what you are going to do. You may ask if there are any last minute changes (there may be because someone could be running late, or not show up because they are sick etc...) and you work that in, before you start.

At the end, if things go well, and they are good about getting ready, etc, you may find a little time left over. You could simply offer at that point, to do some "fun shots" or if they want to get something perhaps a little different, you could do a couple of extras. You can even mention when discussing price, time etc, that if you have some extra time, you can do a few extra poses etc,

The other thing you should do, in this discussion is discuss costs for prints and ownership.

10-27-2010, 04:01 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I can't believe some of this. I would anticipate that someone looking for photos would themselves, now exactly who and what they want photographed. Your pride should be for exactly what they ask for, no more / no less. otherwise, what they are doing is hiring you to come for a pre-determined amount of time where you are not in control of anything, and they are directing you. The next thing you know, you will be photographing unnatural acts with a pony

When you sit down with a prospective client you should go through all the questions. Maybe you should have a little checklist,
- number of people, and group shots or single portraits etc.
- family pets (this is important because pets take time to behave)
- indoors or outdoors
- natural background or custom backdrop.
- traditional portraits or more informal shots.
- number of outfits per person (time to change etc), or props each person will want.
- survey of shooting location, lighting, background distractions, etc

With that done you should have no issue.

Planning out the shoot this way lets the customer see the work involved and they have a good feel for what you are going to do, and when the individuals need to be ready for the shots. It also makes you look organized.

Once you are ready to start on the day, run through it with them again, and make certain they are clear on what you are going to do. You may ask if there are any last minute changes (there may be because someone could be running late, or not show up because they are sick etc...) and you work that in, before you start.

At the end, if things go well, and they are good about getting ready, etc, you may find a little time left over. You could simply offer at that point, to do some "fun shots" or if they want to get something perhaps a little different, you could do a couple of extras. You can even mention when discussing price, time etc, that if you have some extra time, you can do a few extra poses etc,

The other thing you should do, in this discussion is discuss costs for prints and ownership.
THanks Lowell. Very good advice and I will take it to heart. Appreciate the input.
11-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #21

Original Poster
Decided to remove this post.

Last edited by Naturenut; 11-26-2010 at 06:33 AM.