Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Charging for a cover page on a free publication

Hi everyone,

A Bboy organization I did some shoot with (and got paid for) are asking if they can use one of the photos from that shoot for the cover of their free magazine (the contract form limited what they can do with it and I believe something like this was excluded). They get their money from corporate and other sponsors AFAIK, but since they're going to be distributed for free, I don't think I should be charging too much for it... the shoot that i did with them totaled under 500$ each, so I'm thinking 50$ for just the cover.

I feel bad that I keep asking questions but not contributing... well hopefully one day I'll be experienced enough to answer questions here too

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Andi Lo; 10-26-2010 at 10:04 AM.
10-26-2010, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
$50 is too low IMHO. You should charge double that. At least, that's what I get paid per full resolution image for a free magazine...
10-26-2010, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

The magazine might be free, but the people managing/editing/printing it are being paid, so why shouldn't you?
10-27-2010, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Free magazines are advertising and/or corporate supported. They are paying for production and distribution through that alone, instead of subscription revenue. Especially if it is primarily a PR tool, it is a very cost effecting way to go, because subscriptions actually cost quite a bit to accuire. It is a marketing method, not some noble charitable endeavor.
I would ask them to make an offer for the cover shot, and negotiate from there, being careful not to burn any bridges, if there is future revenue possibilities.

10-28-2010, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I must agree, just because they are not getting money from readers, does not mean it is a free magazine. Someone pays for it, in this case the sponsors. I'm sure the magazine staff expects to get paid by the sponsors for their work... Why should they expect you not to get paid?

Mike
10-29-2010, 07:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I took a look at the photo and tbh it's not one that I'm too thrilled about (was expecting some sort of action shot). I charged nonetheless, and they seem to be okay with it

I probably should have charged more than 80$, but if there's more business coming I guess it will be ok...
10-29-2010, 04:32 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Obviously, the value of your work does not change according to the magazine price... It changes according to its distribution numbers.