Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Outsourcing Post Processing

I am 110% amateur but figured this might be the right place to ask this question.

I was thinking about hiring someone to do some post processing work for me because I have about 500 family snapshots that I want to print out as 4x6 just for general photo album and out of those 500 there are probably 15-30 that are nicer that I would like to do larger prints. I was hoping to get all of them reviewed and touched up with basic stuff like curves, levels, and cropping out clutter as necessary and to have the ones for larger prints get some more attention and maybe some artistic treatment. I think I am capable of doing this kind of thing myself but I am very busy so if the price is right I would be very happy to get it done by someone else who could probably do a better job faster.

I don't have any experience sourcing kind of job so I have couple questions:

What is the going rate for this kind of thing?

Are there any companies out there that specialize in this and do a good job at it (and do it domestically)? I was thinking about looking for someone either locally on craigslist or I saw a thread about unemployed PF users in GT so maybe throwing it out there as a gig for someone looking for some extra money. I think I could probably get better service and results dealing with someone directly, what do you all think?

11-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have not tried these guys personally - but their rates are cheap and from what I hear they do a pretty good job. I was talking to one of the sales guys at an industry trade show and he had a pretty good sales pitch. But like I said I cannot personally vouch for them.

www.pwdlabs.com

I have been considering giving them a test run at a smaller event sometime. If I don't like their work it won't cost me much but if I do like it I may start using them quite a lot.

If you end up using these guys or someone else I would appreciate you posting back here after with some examples of their work and your general impression.
11-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How does $2 a picture sound?

Photography For Real Estate Real Estate Post-Processing Overnight In India?
11-11-2010, 12:22 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I do this as part of a side line of doing 'some' photo restoration. (I've all ready got the the computer and software for PP, restoration requires a different skill set but not different equipment)
My starting point is 1 per photo. Doing low end touch ups is not something I've seen anyone else do over here. But, there are absolutely dozens of folks over here that will be happy to do an 8x10 for you for about $50 or more.
I don't think the postage rates would probably work for you to send them over here...
Look around and see if you have anyone local to you that does photo restoration. You may be able to talk them into it. Don't be afraid to haggle a bit...
Failing that, if you are just looking for color correction for faded pics, anyone who has good PP skills might be able to do an acceptable job.
In the end, it might be good to just invest in a scanner. Doing it yourself would help your PP skills and in the long run you would be saving yourself money.

Last edited by opfor; 11-11-2010 at 12:23 AM. Reason: typo
11-11-2010, 12:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

You'd probably be better off chipping away at it yourself tbh.

Depending on your initial format, you could get away with batch processing and then work on sorting out the touch-up jobs afterward. The biggest issue I see with outsourcing images of this nature is that you are at the mercy of the eye of the beholder. And though it may seem straightforward enough to get images 'looking good'. When it comes to candids, there's little in way of preserving the significance of what matters or counts within each of the images.

Of course, this may or may not be an issue.
I'm just thinking how it would work from my own perspective of things.
At best, it would require a good flow of communication in order to fine tune the images to ones liking(which may or may not come cheaply).
11-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm still waiting for my Star Trek computer/virtual reality darkroom on this one, (I'm not picky) but if I become affluent enough to do true justice to my eccentricities, I wouldn't mind hiring a lackey.

(I'm just gonna keep grousing till I get a good monitor, but really. Gigabytes of whatsit and it's more of a PITA than analog. What's the deal? It seems this technology is really good at replacing photographic skills.... With computer geekery. OK... Can I see, yet? )

I mean, speaking of how impressive all this is... Where's the scanner?

Where's the printer?

It's past time.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 11-17-2010 at 03:19 PM.
11-18-2010, 01:57 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I mean, speaking of how impressive all this is... Where's the scanner?

Where's the printer?

It's past time.
I'm not sure we're talking the same language here, but then again, I'm a damn yankee...
You don't need an exceptional scanner to do normal work, a good one will do. I use a V600. Most holiday pics or old photos are not going to be made into works of art by a top of the line scanner. Most people aren't looking for works of art anyways, they just want their pictures to look nice again. Most people don't want to spend that much for normal pics.
Eighty percent of the folks I do touch ups for source their own printing.(it saves them money) Depending on what the rest want is wether or not I print it myself or take it to the local shop. If it needs to be very good quality, it goes to the shop. If normal will do, I'll take it to a good kiosk that's in the next town or if it's a rush I'll print it myself. (keeps prices down on ink)
It's not a great thing to do, but I have had folks scan their own pics and send me the files(dropbox is a nice thing, but I'm still trying to figure it all out).
11-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My .02: Buy a good program that can do simultaneous tweaks to large batches of photos and do the editing yourself. You will get good at editing large batches of photos becomes very easy.

500 photos really isn't that many...