Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Starting my first photography company.... Suggestions?

So i have not been in the DSLR world long... but i have always loved taking pictures of cars and motorcycles and such, and figured now that i have a decent camera and not just a pretty P&S, I can go a step further than just taking pictures for fun.

I am planning on starting a small photography business, (as im sure most here have), i dont plan to do weddings or any of that (maybe some engagement photos) but I really just want to take pictures of cars and bikes. Its what I love doing.
Im really not trying to do this to make money, it would be nice, but its really just for fun for now. I figured I would set up a little facebook page, maybe gather a few fans and when local car clubs, or bike clubs, or just individuals ask, I can meet them out somewhere local and snap of a bunch of photos of their cars or bikes. I dont plan to charge much ($30/hour sound fair?) just enough to cover a little of my time... Maybe photoshop a few of the pics and then set up a photobucket account or something.

Just wondering what everyone else does? or if anyone has any suggestions?

I know my photos are amateur, and i still have alot to learn, but thats why im charging amateur rates, (gotta get your feet wet some how huh?) (any shooting critique would be greatly appreciated!)

Thanks for any and all input

Here is a little logo i created along with a few sample photos i have taken in the past...

Attached Images

11-24-2010, 07:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this really should be in the general photography / professional photographers sub forum, but here goes.

you need to put together a business plan. Why, because if you are starting a business, there are tax write offs etc, BUT you need to have a business plan to show an intent to make money, otherwise, the tax write offs will not go on for ever. Plan out your business and work out how to make a meger profit from the onset.

Second, spend the money to make it a limited company or corporation, but not a sole propriotership. this will insulate you and your posessions from any litigation against your company. You need to do this even though it costs more, as it is for your own protection.

with respect to your proposed rate, there is a thread running

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/professional-photography-publications/119...e-include.html

Read it
11-28-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Second, spend the money to make it a limited company or corporation, but not a sole propriotership. this will insulate you and your posessions from any litigation against your company. You need to do this even though it costs more, as it is for your own protection.
You will probably get a lot of good advice here, but If you only follow one piece of of it, make sure it is that one. I would suggest an LLC vs an S, Corp. It is generally simpler and cheaper to establish, with less administrative upkeep after the fact; but provides the same fence between personal and company assets.

I'm going to move this to the pro sub-forum in hopes you will get more response there.
11-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, i never even would have found this sub forum unless you had pointed it out lol. I looked for about 10 min for it before i realized it was a link BELOW general photography, not a sub forum INSIDE general photography.

Anyways, alot of this stuff is way over my head. I guess I have alot to learn. I was thinking very very small. Just maybe a facebook page for now, and maybe make a couple bucks a year. Nothing I would even think about claiming taxes on. (not to "out" the Gov, but just not thinking I would make enough to claim them)

So what is the process for just bare minimum? say I make $499.99 a year. I dont have to do anything right? Nobody has to know about it as long as i dont pass that $500 taxable mark? So I dont have to make it an official business. Maybe just keep it really small. put a name to it, and make a $100 or so and have some fun... no harm there right?

11-29-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't done this personally (in fact I'm in the same boat as you), but I think it would still be good to create an official business through an LLC just for the tax write-offs on your gear. Anyone want to chide in with more info on this (that was the extent of my knowledge :P)?
11-29-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree, but I only get a tax write off if im paying taxes correct? And if im not making enough money to pay taxes, i dont have to claim anything, and if i dont claim anything then i dont get the write off... but i still have to pay for the LLC right? How much does that cost?
11-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, not paying any taxes...never mind! (Lucky!)

01-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
So what is the process for just bare minimum? say I make $499.99 a year. I dont have to do anything right? Nobody has to know about it as long as i dont pass that $500 taxable mark? So I dont have to make it an official business. Maybe just keep it really small. put a name to it, and make a $100 or so and have some fun... no harm there right?
Talk to your town/city hall and find out what it takes to register a business.

There should a local SCORE/SBA office in your area that will have classes and mentoring for new business owners. Go to the classes and do what they say.
01-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I agree, but I only get a tax write off if im paying taxes correct? And if im not making enough money to pay taxes, i dont have to claim anything, and if i dont claim anything then i dont get the write off... but i still have to pay for the LLC right? How much does that cost?
You need to talk to a qualified CPA or lawyer for real advice on this. Not paying your taxes will get you into a lot of trouble with the IRS.
01-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
You need to talk to a qualified CPA or lawyer for real advice on this. Not paying your taxes will get you into a lot of trouble with the IRS.
Not if you don't make enough to qualify for paying taxes, which I believe is less than $12,000. Not sure about that. But I'm pretty sure that there is a cut off line, and if you're below it, you don't have to pay taxes or even file.
01-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I am planning on starting a small photography business
Im really not trying to do this to make money
These two statements are not compatible. You're planning on starting a small hobby. Businesses make money, hobbies don't. And the IRS will tell you the same thing.
01-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #12
Inactive Account

You are in the biggest pitfall that a beginning photographer can be in, including myself.

From experience, you will get more business with a solid, comprehensive portfolio and a true business plan. Build a website containing this.

You mention a lot of different types of photography that you *would* do. Don't. Focus on one thing. Build your portfolio, build your name. Start just going to car and bike shows, and snapping 100s of photos to build a portfolio. Offer people deals where they get 10 processed photos and an 8x10 print for $25. This will build your portfolio and get your name out there at the shows.
01-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
You mention a lot of different types of photography that you *would* do. Don't. Focus on one thing. Build your portfolio, build your name. Start just going to car and bike shows, and snapping 100s of photos to build a portfolio. Offer people deals where they get 10 processed photos and an 8x10 print for $25. This will build your portfolio and get your name out there at the shows.
Thats a good idea, there are always alot of local shows around my area. My only problem now is, its January, Im all pumped up now, but nobody wants to bring their nice pretty bike/car out in the freshly salted roads lol. I am trying to build a fan base with Facebook and SmugMug, but so far its hard to show off when I dont have many recent photos, just older images.

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
These two statements are not compatible. You're planning on starting a small hobby. Businesses make money, hobbies don't. And the IRS will tell you the same thing.
I realize. I guess I really jsut want a name to my hobby. I have a great full time job, I dont plan on ever quitting for photography, (unless something amazing happens, but i doubt it) Its more of just a weekend hobby. I like taking pictures, and i like riding my bike. I just dont want to make photography a SECOND full time job as to where im not longer riding my bike on weekends, Im just taking pictures of others. See what I mean?
I want the best of both worlds I guess... Still be able to have my weekends free (from work that is, not the honey-do list lol) but if someone calls me up and says, 'hey man, ill pay ya 50 bucks if you come out and take some cool pics of my car club' i can go do that too.

I just know alot of people that have full time jobs, and every friday night, Saturday afternoon, and Saturday night they have a wedding to shoot, as well as the occasional Sunday, monday... tue.... lol. It gets to be a bother. I dont want photography to ever be 'tiring'. Its suppose to be fun, I would rather do it for fun, and possibly make $50 or $60 here and there, than to do it as a full time business and have to tell my buddies 'sorry guys, cant ride this weekend, gotta take pictures of someone elses bike as it sits parked as well'
01-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Thats a good idea, there are always alot of local shows around my area. My only problem now is, its January, Im all pumped up now, but nobody wants to bring their nice pretty bike/car out in the freshly salted roads lol. I am trying to build a fan base with Facebook and SmugMug, but so far its hard to show off when I dont have many recent photos, just older images.
Then wait.

There's nothing worse than releasing something before it's ready. If you do, people will look at what little you have, maybe say you have a few cool images, and then forget about you. When you start to try to build in the spring, they will have forgotten, and odds are they won't care to re-visit.

I understand you're ready to go, but the timing isn't quite right. For now, practice your craft. Shoot tons of junk shots to practice composition and post-processing, items that are key to the market you are going for. Study websites and learn how to build an effective one that is easy to navigate.

This is going to set up everything for when you start trying to talk people into being fans on Facebook or whatnot.

Just like any business, if you don't have a solid foundation, it's not going anywhere.
01-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Not if you don't make enough to qualify for paying taxes, which I believe is less than $12,000. Not sure about that. But I'm pretty sure that there is a cut off line, and if you're below it, you don't have to pay taxes or even file.
This is true for personal income taxes. For business, the rule is that you always file. That is why the OP needs to talk to a professional, not random people on the internet.