Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Your wedding process

Other than my own wedding (which I'm pretty sure our photographer was a student based on what we'd got, didn't know much then), I never paid much attention to the order and process, angles and timing.

So, when you shoot a wedding, what are "key" shots you try to get, what order or angles do you use, when it's over, how do you herd the cats that is the wedding party to get groomsmen/bridesmaids pictures?

I never really planned on shooting weddings, but it seems everyone is getting married at the same time, and requests for service are following. Not a bad problem to have, but I'm just coming to the realization I don't know much about it. I'd love to hear from all of you, as I have an idea in my head, but it's always great to hear other methods. Thanks!

12-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The order really depends on the day itself and what the bride and groom want. Some prefer doing portrait shots before the wedding others don’t. As a photographer it is a lot easier when they want to get portrait shots before the ceremony. Some couples want to do family pictures before the ceremony some afterwards. Either way I find it very useful to have the wedding couple pick out a party beforehand who can gather everyone for the family shots. If you just document the day you don’t really need to worry about a shot list. The only thing I really have a shot list for are pictures that are for detail shots, like the bouquet, ring, dress and so forth. Here is a good site for infoWedding Photography Tips, resources, and articles from Photo.net

12-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Cool thanks for the tips! It's always interesting to hear how other plan capturing that day. It's a good point that if you mark down all the events, you know what to plan for.

Do you do anything special for the ceremony? Or just do telephoto and wide angles of the most crucial moments of it?
12-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just sold all of my Pentax gear
But I typically shot the ceremony with
k20d- Sigma 30 1.4
k-x Pentax DA* 50-135 2.8

The rest of the day I usaly use
k20d- Pentax 70 2.4
k-x- Sigma 30 1.4

The Sigma 30 1.4 is my main lens and the 50-135 only comes out for the ceremony.

12-11-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by montman Quote
I just sold all of my Pentax gear
But I typically shot the ceremony with
k20d- Sigma 30 1.4
k-x Pentax DA* 50-135 2.8

The rest of the day I usaly use
k20d- Pentax 70 2.4
k-x- Sigma 30 1.4

The Sigma 30 1.4 is my main lens and the 50-135 only comes out for the ceremony.
Those make sense. Push the iso on Kx with the slower lens and use the wider angle/faster lens to your advantage on the K20.

Did you switch teams?
12-11-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rory- That’s exactly why I shoot like that. I think b&w’s at 3200 ISO with the k-x have a unique look and I kind of like it. Occasionally you can get a usable colored image at 3200 ISO.
Yes, My wife and I are in the process of switching to canon. My wife got a 5D Mark II about a month ago and mine is coming on Monday. (Honestly I don’t think there is a huge difference in ISO between the 5D Mark II and the k-x)
The k-x is an amazing camera especially for the price and the k-5 is probably awesome as well but you can get a refurbished 5D Mark II For $500 more than the k-5. At the last wedding we shot the reception hall was very dark, my k-x would not focus and the 5D performed amazingly. I also really like the shallow depth of field with the FF, shooting at 2.8 looks like F2. Perhaps someday I will return to Pentax my dream set up would be a Pentax Full Frame and the 43 1.9 Limited. I did keep my k200d and a M 28 2.8 and a M 50 1.7
12-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah, the AF in dim light on the Kx leaves a bit to be desired. I usually get fed up with it and switch to MF after a few failed hunts.

I think you'll be happy with the Canon. The Nikon D700 would be a better performer in low light due to the lower resolution, but you get......well, lower resolution. Plus the price is still a bit higher, and lenses seem a bit more expensive, especially since the good 35 and 85 lenses were just released.

My friend that did my wife and my engagement photos uses a MKII. There's just so much you can do with that camera. Here's his smugmug: Art By Nicholas - Photography by Nicholas Putz

I'd like to get some Nikon gear, as I have a bit of it. But ultimately would like to keep the Kx for a small street/travel kit.

12-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had considered the D700 as it does seem to be a better performer but I have always admired the Canon Glass, maybe if Nikon put a red ring around there glass I might have gone with a Nikon My original plan was to keep the k-x with the Sigma 30 1.4 and the Pentax 70 as a backup kit but I got impatient and sold it Holding the k-x with a pancake lens is a pretty amazing experience, it’s so small yet so capable. I will have to pull up the wedding site when I get home and check it out, always enjoying looking at others work who use the same gear.
12-13-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, Wheatfield, that helps a lot.

I didn't necessarily mean angels on a vertical plane. More like what position to the bride & groom during the ceremony do you place yourself. 6 o'clock, 11 o'clock, etc.
04-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
Thanks, Wheatfield, that helps a lot.

I didn't necessarily mean angels on a vertical plane. More like what position to the bride & groom during the ceremony do you place yourself. 6 o'clock, 11 o'clock, etc.
Sorry to bump an old thread...
The venue really decides for me where I position myself, but most of them are close enough to the same to allow got a fairly general answer.

During the ceremony, I will usually be in the center aisle towards the back of the church, definitely behind the congregation. I use as long a lens as I need.
This keeps me out of the way, but allows me to get the key pictures.

For the rest, in general terms, I try to shoot pretty straight on.
04-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally, my "wedding process" is to RUN AWAY as quickly as possible when I am asked to shoot one...

Other than that Wheatfield's list pretty much covers it. Go to your local library and check for wedding photo books or just do an internet search for "must take wedding shots"

One of the sites I found had it in a nice checklist format... Wedding Photography Checklist: A List of "Must Take" Wedding Photography Shots

Good luck... and for your sanity's sake seriously consider my "process" before agreeing to shoot a wedding.

Mike
04-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I always do a pre-wedding consultation with each couple to determine the types of shots that they like, get a list of must have photos (often group shots), and set the schedule for the day. The normal schedule is as follows:

1. Bride getting ready and bride portraits
2. Groom getting ready and groom portraits
3. Detail shots of the flowers/rings/decorations/programs
4. Ceremony - must get picture of grooms as he sees bride, bride down aisle, wide angle of church/ceremony, exchange of rings, the kiss, the exit
5. Group shots at ceremony location (get a wedding party or family member to help you move people along. Be sure to tell everyone with cameras that you would like to take the picture first and then you will tell them when to shoot)
6. Shots at an alternate location
7. Reception- Must get entrances of all wedding party, cake cutting, tosses, dances, wide angle shot of whole room
8. Details at Reception - decorated table (usually before people sit), cake, place setting, centerpieces, place cards, menu, food, any displays that couple has out, guest book

I shoot all of this with two cameras - this year it will be with my K-5 and my K-20. The lenses that get the most use are the the 50-135 2.8 and the 50 1.4 (in receptions). I also use the tammy 28-75 2.8 and the 60-250 f4 (especially in outdoor weddings - great close-ups). My wide angle shots are done with both the 12-24 and the 10-17 fisheye. I like to have a lot of gear with me just in case. I have a rolling case that I bring everything in and then another bag just for my lenses for quick changes. Some gear stays in the car, but if something would go wrong I have a back-up.