Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
contract help plz.

i recently did a birthday shoot for a co-worker. i did it pro bono to help develop a portfolio for myself. the question I have is the event planer wanted copies. I don't want the event planning company to sell my photos. I don't mind them using the photos for promotional purposes. I would like to find a contract that expresses that. I suppose I could charge them. Also I don't want the birthday girl to give copies to the event planner. Any suggestions or links?

Excuse the grammar, I'm on my phone.

Thanks
Jorge

02-08-2011, 06:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds like they mean to use them for promotion. I would highball them $75/hr (shooting).
02-08-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boosted03gti Quote
i recently did a birthday shoot for a co-worker. i did it pro bono to help develop a portfolio for myself. the question I have is the event planer wanted copies. I don't want the event planning company to sell my photos. I don't mind them using the photos for promotional purposes. I would like to find a contract that expresses that. I suppose I could charge them. Also I don't want the birthday girl to give copies to the event planner. Any suggestions or links?

Excuse the grammar, I'm on my phone.

Thanks
Jorge
First of all, since you did the shoot for your co-worker, ask them for permission to provide copies to the event planner.

After all, they are images of his family and friends, and while you may have done the work for free, and while you may own copywrite on the images, use by a third party would require releases, as a minimum, and consent by you.

All you need to do with the event planner is send them a letter that re-inforces your copywrite on the photos, and that the only use the event planner has is for promotional purposes, and that the promotional material must list you as the photographer. Any sales of photos and or modifications to the photos (i.e. post processing) would require your approval and be subject to royalties.

You can name your price per print

I do not know what conditions you put on the co-worker regarding the use of the photos, but I assume you gave them on the basis they could print them for use.