Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2011, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #31
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as public breastfeeding goes, I think it's great that there are guys out there who will let us other guys look at their wive's t*t's!

Keep it up! We applaud your ideology!

02-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Reading all this (and other stuff) and reflecting on my own youth in America makes me more strongly identify with the title of G. Gordon Liddy's book, "When I Was a Kid This Was a Free Country".

I've been absent pretty much since the early 1980s and haven't been there at all since 1999 and I just marvel at what (as best I can tell) has happened to the place. More and more it sounds like someone has managed without the use of barbed wire to turn Americans into East Germans.
02-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I've already posted my reply to those who have given me problems in the past, and it works to make people go away.

Being nice doesn't work at all, because I really don't give a crap about having a conversation with some a-hole who wants to talk about his 16-year-old granddaughter's photography skills.

I tell people I work for the Sherrif's homicide division, photographing dead bodies.

I then say I'm waiting to go on another call, and would they like to see some shots of my latest murder victim?
I have a very dry sense of humor and have thrown commets like this out on occasion. Lately I have been trying the more open and friendly technique though.
02-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
lived in DC for a couple years and never once saw anyone get hassled for taking photos of the federal buildings all over the place, and I'm not just talking about the monuments.
Cool. Take your camera and go to your nearest federal courthouse and start taking pictures.

Obviously, photographing national monuments and memorials is not a problem. I never said it was.

02-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
Cool. Take your camera and go to your nearest federal courthouse and start taking pictures.

Obviously, photographing national monuments and memorials is not a problem. I never said it was.
I'm not talking about the monuments. The whole Mall is ringed with important federal buildings -- everything from the EPA, to the IRS. I worked in nearby Bethesda at the National Institutes of Health, which was a huge federal research campus, and I wouldn't have hesitated to bring a camera there had I wanted to. Granted I never did, but I don't recall the NIHPD busting anyone else with a camera...

Maybe the DC area is less sensitive to this since almost everything there is some component of the federal government?
02-08-2011, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

Most rent-a-cops or employees are poorly trained or simply not trained at all regarding the photography in areas of their responsibility. I have checked on numerous occasions the rules about photography in certain locations and in most cases what is really prohibited is photography for commercial purposes only.

Here is one good example: Some years ago there was a discussion about taking photographs of Toronto subway stations (accompanied with some scary tales of photographers being hassled, never happened to me though). However, Toronto Transit Commission has clearly stated in their own TTC By-law No. 1 the following: No person shall operate any camera, video recording device, movie camera or any similar device for commercial purposes upon the transit system without authorization.

If you find and check rules on photography there is a great chance you'll find some variation of the clause from TTC By-law No.1. So my advice is: let security approach you, stay calm, and politely agree with them, confirming that you know photography for commercial purposes is prohibited. Pause here. They immediately ask are you a professional photographer, who you are working for, what are you doing, where are you going to publish or something similar. You'll then have an excellent opportunity to explain you are shooting for yourself and, well, disappoint them. Show them your photographs, get into depth of field, bokeh, angle of view, composition, scene tonality, quality of light and they will most likely leave you alone.

Still, I feel uncomfortable shooting in certain locations. Security does not concern me that much, what does though are "loyal citizens" protecting their country, property, or children from terrorists, criminals or maniacs (that's us, photographers) and who report us as such to security or police. No wonder reports are taken seriously, fueled by campaigns like this one:

In U.S., dangerous misconceptions from TSA poster - Blog - Committee to Protect Journalists
02-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Maybe the DC area is less sensitive to this since almost everything there is some component of the federal government?
That is what I'm thinking...you've got to let the tourists do their thing.

But I promise you will get a response. If you aren't there as one of the media horde, you stand out. If it's not the fed. police on foot, they'll be there in their marked cruiser.

Also, I got out of the biz in 2004. Stuff was still pretty tight, security-wise, then. Maybe the response is more relaxed now. But I doubt it.

02-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
...I live close to a ferry terminal and its close to a Navy base. The ferry folks have been warned to check out anyone taking pictures in the direction of the Navy base. ...
Phil, what Navy base are the ferry workers supposed to be worrying about? I don't see any near Port Townsend... Whidbey Island NAS and Bangor are both too far away for even paranoid types to worry about...

Jim (down the road a bit in Gig Harbor)
02-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Phil, what Navy base are the ferry workers supposed to be worrying about? I don't see any near Port Townsend... Whidbey Island NAS and Bangor are both too far away for even paranoid types to worry about...

Jim (down the road a bit in Gig Harbor)
Bremerton :-), i spend a lot of time in both towns.
02-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I have never been stopped by a cop, responded to negatively by a stranger or anything similar when I have my camera out in public but I did feel embarrassed the first few times I shot in public (My first time shooting with a DSLR in public was about a year ago). I understand the hesitation especially if you have been stopped by the police but as others have said you are doing nothing wrong/illegal so all I can say is try and not worry about others. 99% of them will not even notice you, 0.5% will be curious, and the last 0.5% will have a problem and they can go be bitter at the world all they want, it will have no affect on you. Enjoy your camera, that's why you got it.
02-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #41
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Student Quote
Yes I am. Last time I went out with a camera and not looking like a tourist someone called the cops and they had a chat with me about taking pictures of women until they realised that I only had pictures of objects on my memory card. Still it was embarrassing and humiliating. Today is a nice day so I'd like to go out but what will people think if I walk through campus with a huge lens and camera? Is someone going to call the cops again? I know I am the silent and serious type but why do they brand me as a pervert because I carry a camera?
Well, I guess you can blame your predicament on the ignorant people who actually do that type of stuff, and the ignorant people who are prejudiced towards seeing a "big" camera.

I was at a grocery store once, and I actually saw a guy with a DSLR ducking in and out of the aisles taking pictures of women....
Creepy.
02-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #42

QuoteQuote:
Is this a dominance thing? Seems like your attitude is that your doing things only because you know it angers people and because you can. Although it may be well within the law, do you not believe in common courtesy? .
not really, you're missing the point. We are discreet, obviously my wifes t*ts are not flailing about. But you would be surprised how many people give snarky looks / comments and the passing grumbles we hear as we are sitting on the beach, dinner...our car?....(by car i meant parked in a parking lot, like after the baby gets cranky from a day of grocery shopping)

Without getting into what 'common courtesy' is defined as, the point is we are well within our right to feed our baby in a public space just as the OP is well within their right to take pictures in a public space. that was my take home message; i'm not trying to start a courtesy conversation in someone else's thread. I would gladly take that on in the off-topic area.

QuoteQuote:
As far as public breastfeeding goes, I think it's great that there are guys out there who will let us other guys look at their wive's t*t's!

Keep it up! We applaud your ideology!
My baby feels the same way
02-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Capslock118 Quote
... i also walk in a crosswalk when i see cars driving wrecklessly too fast ...
So as a husband and a father you risk your life to deliberately antagonize someone who you feel is driving too fast? I only ask because I "know someone" that has a habit of putting the throttle to the floor when they see people misusing their right of way as a pedestrian. If you step out in front of 1-3 TONS of speeding steel, then you are asking to get hit. The laws of man may be on your side, but the laws of physics certainly are not. Your arrogance does not provide a shield of invincibility. The next time the situation arises, before you step off the curb, imagine your wife having to raise your child without you. Better yet, imagine your child as a teenager, doing what he/she learned from watching dad.

Besides, there is a massive difference between exercising a right and abusing it.
02-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Yes I am. Last time I went out with a camera and not looking like a tourist someone called the cops and they had a chat with me about taking pictures of women until they realised that I only had pictures of objects on my memory card. Still it was embarrassing and humiliating. Today is a nice day so I'd like to go out but what will people think if I walk through campus with a huge lens and camera? Is someone going to call the cops again? I know I am the silent and serious type but why do they brand me as a pervert because I carry a camera?
I can only guess from your posts that you are in the United States. If not, please disregard what follows.

Thanks to the first amendment, you can take photographs of women. You can take photos of anyone you like, as long as they are in a public place, and there is no reasonable expectation of privacy. For example, you cannot take a photo of someone in a bathroom. You can take a photo of that same person standing in line waiting for the bathroom. The only exception to this (and even then it is a bit "fuzzy"), is if the establishment has said "no photography allowed", either by voice or clearly posted sign.

Furthermore, if anyone (including law enforcement) attempts to prevent you from taking photographs in anywhere on public property, then they are guilty of prior restraint, which is also a clear violation of your first amendment right to free speech. Despite what others have wrote in this very thread, you can take photos of any building in the US, as long as you are standing on a public street when you do it.

You should feel free to exercise your rights, but please don't abuse them. They are quite precious. If you don't believe me just ask some of the press photographers in Egypt.
02-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #45
Veteran Member

I wish but first I need to remove my real name somehow not sure how this is done on mac, copyright info will only display on my PC!
What software do you use? PS and PSE strips the exif data when using the save for web option.
And there is a command line application ExifTool that edits exif data.