Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
Inactive Account

New Website... What should I write in the Biography section?

I have never been good at this, I made a nice looking website because I want to see if I can get some paid work and now I have to add the text, I'm working on the Bio but as I am still a student I don't have any degrees to mention yet... What else should I mention? Where I come from? How many languages I speak? I'd very much appreciate some advice and examples! thank you. (By the way, I wrote the start of my Bio in the third person and basically just explained where I was born and that I went to so and so school but I don't suppose someone reading this would care, would they?)

02-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
Ash

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Consider the things you would want your target audience to know that would encourage them to look further into your portfolio. They should be relevant to photography and your current location. You could also include things like where you grew up and schooled at your own discretion, but mainly it would be about your interests and passions in the vocation.
02-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Keep it brief. You are a "multi-lingual artist residing in the quad"... :-)
02-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Consider the things you would want your target audience to know that would encourage them to look further into your portfolio. They should be relevant to photography and your current location. You could also include things like where you grew up and schooled at your own discretion, but mainly it would be about your interests and passions in the vocation.
Would it sound arrogant to mention the people I have shot? I have a big one coming up, my first big one in fact!

02-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
SPB

Mine is very brief, and I started to include pictures that I like on pages like Bio etc. I don't think you need to say much more than what is said here, I would forget school etc. It is all about your interests and passion as Ash mentioned above.
02-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
Ash

QuoteOriginally posted by Student Quote
Would it sound arrogant to mention the people I have shot? I have a big one coming up, my first big one in fact!
I wouldn't think so - blow your own trumpet where you can!
02-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
SPB

Definitely blow the trumpet, your website after all is your calling card, your window to the world. That is why it is so important to make the best of the window and the content.

02-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I have never been good at this, I made a nice looking website because I want to see if I can get some paid work and now I have to add the text, I'm working on the Bio but as I am still a student I don't have any degrees to mention yet... What else should I mention? Where I come from? How many languages I speak? I'd very much appreciate some advice and examples! thank you. (By the way, I wrote the start of my Bio in the third person and basically just explained where I was born and that I went to so and so school but I don't suppose someone reading this would care, would they?)
I can tell you this from experience, at least in the world of Art. People/Customers will be infinitely more interested in you than anything else on your website.

When surfing the web, I will always go to the "About" us/me page before anything else. Style, it's what it's all about... Good luck!!! Rick
02-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Should I use maybe one of the pictures of the (in my home country) famous model on the front page of my website? I am doing this for free for her and she agreed to sign a model release, she is going to give me some advice on working with models etc, whcih is nice of her, I met her through a friend of my mother.
02-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Should I use maybe one of the pictures of the (in my home country) famous model on the front page of my website? I am doing this for free for her and she agreed to sign a model release, she is going to give me some advice on working with models etc, whcih is nice of her, I met her through a friend of my mother.
This is a friend and photographer's website: sean scheidt I like the way he presents his work, I find it interesting and keeps me looking further into his site... maybe you can pick up an idea or 2...
02-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
This is a friend and photographer's website: sean scheidt I like the way he presents his work, I find it interesting and keeps me looking further into his site... maybe you can pick up an idea or 2...
Thanks. Now, what do I put under services? I put that I am available for portrait work and that I have Fine Art prints for sale and that they can be viewed by appointment. I also mentioned that I travel a lot and I added this:

My transport and accommodation costs may be added to the total and must be paid in advance depending on whether a customer is more than 100km away. In case a customer is in another country the fee will cover my return.

Bad idea?

Should I put an indicative price list too or what?
02-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I also mentioned that I travel a lot and I added this:

My transport and accommodation costs may be added to the total and must be paid in advance depending on whether a customer is more than 100km away. In case a customer is in another country the fee will cover my return.

Bad idea?
"Travel expenses may apply." You can hash out the details for the specific job and client.
02-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
SPB

Travel expenses may apply - the other version is far too verbose.
02-24-2011, 07:32 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Thanks. Now, what do I put under services? I put that I am available for portrait work and that I have Fine Art prints for sale and that they can be viewed by appointment. I also mentioned that I travel a lot and I added this:

Bad idea?

Should I put an indicative price list too or what?
Whatever you put under services, make sure it's within your physical and technical abilities.

I personally like, at the very least, a starting point regarding price. You just need to give the potential client an idea of costs, etc... but you don't need to have an entire price list, just a starting point. And I think clients look at Value more than just raw Numbers/Prices.
02-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Don't forget to include any credentials you may have such as a photography degree. Also include your professional affiliations such as WPPI, PPA, API, etc...

Mike