Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2011, 04:43 AM   #1
Inactive Account

It's time to get a fashion portfolio, but which size should I choose?

In an ideal world I would like a portfolio which fits images the exact size than a standard magazine photograph such as Vogue or Harper's Bazaar, this is not too small not too big I think, the 14 by something version is too big and too expensive for a poor Fashion Photography student like me. The only portfolio maker I could find in Paris offers an 11x8.5 portfolio book but I just measured my latest copy of Vogue, the dimensions are off a little... (Or maybe I just suck at measuring stuff?)

Anyway, what do you think is the right size? And before anyone says I should use an iPad I don't want to, I think using an iPad is nowhere as classy as a leather portfolio with my logo on it, the smell of leather and luxurious prints!

05-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Or should I have a Full Frame sized book (non cropped to magazine ratio)?
05-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Big enough to hold 11x14's, though the image itself can be a little smaller.
05-02-2011, 04:14 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Big enough to hold 11x14's, though the image itself can be a little smaller.
Why so big? That's even bigger than my laptop!

05-02-2011, 05:11 AM   #5
Inactive Account

IMHO, the 11 X 14 page size with about 8.5 X 11 (Approx magazine page) size prints is the best way to go (unless you have a desire to go really huge). The slightly oversized page will give a nice isolation border all around the image and make the presentation much nicer (sort of like matting a photo).
05-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Noob Quote
Why so big? That's even bigger than my laptop!
Like Schindler said...it's "the presentation".
05-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I see! I will get one of those then but I'll have to wait a bit, low on cash... Can you tell me what the exact measurements for a standard full page photograph in a magazine like Vogue or Harper's Bazaar is by the way (For my crop settings in Lightroom)?

Also do magazines usually expect pre-cropped images?

05-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Can you tell me what the exact measurements for a standard full page photograph in a magazine like Vogue or Harper's Bazaar is by the way?

Also do magazines usually expect pre-cropped images?
Can you not measure one at a bookstore?

Magazines like loose crops so there is room for type. Don't get too hung up on the proportions for your book. Art directors will tell you what the job requires.
05-03-2011, 02:24 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Can you not measure one at a bookstore?

Magazines like loose crops so there is room for type. Don't get too hung up on the proportions for your book. Art directors will tell you what the job requires.
Okay, so I put uncropped images in my portfolio and on my website when I get one right?

SpecialK are you a Fashion Photographer?