Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Donkeypunch Quote
I have this but have never been able to print a pdf file. Saving as text creates gobbledygook.

07-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
8 pm July 2nd?

I would like to know as I want to send your post to the media and complain. I won't use your ID/Name. It be cool if some of us/you old 70's hippie types did the same.
signed,
DAMN'm and SLAM'm

p.s. ... a small quibble: "we are not a police state"; huh, yes we are...ever hear of the b@ll_less PATRIOT ACT?
07-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Always be polite and non-confrontational. Ask for their names and badge numbers and write them down. This shows you are serious. Ask for which specific law you are breaking. If they can cite it, then move on, even though they might still be in the wrong. If they cannot cite it, thank them and continue with your activity. Wait for them to make the next move.

They have no right to touch your property or ask you to delete an image. To be non-confrontational you can delete and image and recover it later. Simply change SD cards after the delete operation.

If they lay a hand on you, call a lawyer.
07-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

P.S. Of course you live in a police state. All states are police states by definition. They need to protect themselves from their citizenry, and use police in so-called peace-time and the military in so called wartime to perform this task.

07-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is an interesting article about Chicage police and photograghy.

Chicago Photographer Arrested Again – CPD on the Warpath
07-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EyeSpy Quote
I have this but have never been able to print a pdf file. Saving as text creates gobbledygook.
If you can view it as a PDF, then you should be able to right click on the page and select print.

Tim
07-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
This is bizarre. This was in a suburb of Chicago.
Were you on public or private property? Not sure about there, but that would make a major difference here.

07-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Were you on public or private property? Not sure about there, but that would make a major difference here.
They were obviously open to the public.
07-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevbike Quote
Here is an interesting article about Chicage police and photograghy.

Chicago Photographer Arrested Again – CPD on the Warpath
Chicago cops and politicians have been slapped constantly for violations of the bill of rights. The city has even been ordered to pay lawyers fees in other cases they lost in the U.S. Supreme Court and it had to be taken to Federal Court to get them to comply with the orders. They have a hard time with the Bill of Rights there.
07-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Yet another reason I don't like going to Chicago.
07-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #26
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
They have a hard time with the Bill of Rights there.
Ignoring the law and individual rights is as much a part of Chicago PD history as the playing of the National Anthem before a baseball game.
Telling the Chicago PD to play by the rules is as futile as telling an ass not to bray.
07-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I don't think it is confined to Chicago. There are stories like this every day from all over U.S., as well as other parts of the world. In my own country, infront of 50 other people, a policeman told a guy with a camera that if he pointed the camera at him again, he would put a bullet in the guy's head.

The problem is that 'looking suspicious' is enough for you to be questioned or removed from any premises. And we can't just blame the police. People are scared and governments continue to feed into the frenzy - orange alert...

If a 'vigilante' noticed a suspicious looking middle aged man, setting up his camera infront of a children's fair - he is going to report you.
07-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
They were obviously open to the public.
Doesn't make a difference here - for example a cafe is open to the public, but they still have private property rights to stop you taking photos.
07-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I felt like this video was a worthy contribution to this thread. It shows "Community Interaction" from Police... Shot at the recent Isle of Man TT event, so yes, has a few motorbikes involved too...

But I guess shows really well there is multiple ways one can engage themselves with the Community...

If only *all* cops were as a 'good bloke' as this one 'eh ?
07-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Doesn't make a difference here - for example a cafe is open to the public, but they still have private property rights to stop you taking photos.
Actually, you are misguided there. 1st off, it wasn't the carnival that told him to stop, it was the johnny cops of Chicago. 2nd off, they let him in the gate with the dSLR and tripod. 3rd, we aren't talking about going onto private property that isn't open to the public. For example if a coffee shop asked me not to take a pic, I would take it under consideration, but if the got nasty, I would make an effort to advertise for them. What I am getting here is that private property that is open to the public doesn't automatically make people surrender their rights. Personally, I wouldn't have just got the cops badge number, I would have got his portrait and sent it to the local papers etc, and I would have done it in a nice way and give him my business card which isn't a photographer. Given iPhones etc, the whole idea is idiotic but then again we are talking about the Chicago PD.

Edit: I just realize you are in Australia so maybe cafe owners can bully folks. Hysterical Here we have a term called, "going out of business."