Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2011, 06:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
COPS: Can't take pics of... Ferris Wheel!!!

This is bizarre. This was in a suburb of Chicago.

There was a small carnival. It was about 8pm at night. I was testing my k5 that had frozen and had just been revived. I thought it would also be a good time to try shooting a ferris wheel at night with a long exposure.

I had my camera on a tripod. Since it was a long lens: 50-135, I was shooting from a little distance. In any case, the 2 cops come over and these were the questions.

Why are you taking pictures?
"Its a hobbby.."
Are you planning to sell them?
"I wish"
Do you have a press pass?
"no"
Do you have permission to shoot pictures?
"Umm...I didn't know I needed permission to shoot a ferris wheel"
You have a professional looking camera and tripod.
"That should not matter. In any case, this is an enthusiast camera".
Show me your drivers license.
"sure"
Why are you in IL?
"?? Well, I am on vacation"
Where are you staying?
"xxx street with my in-laws"
Do you have children
"yes'
How come your kids are not with you?
[Taken aback]. But "well, they were out all day and only wanted to come here tommorow. I thought I would take a ferris wheel shot at night"
You might get people in your shot.
"Not with a 4 second exposure. See my shots" I show it to them. "I just want to shoo the lights of the ferris wheel. Not interested in anything else"
You have to get permission to shoot pics.
"Well, I was shooting pics all day in the city, at the festival there".
You just happened to not be stopped yet.
"So how do I get this permission"
You have to go to the police station and get permission
"I was shooting in the city and there were dozens of people shooting with an SLR there. And plenty of cops. Nobody said anything there.
"We wont ask you to delete your pics but you cannot take any more pics"
I left...

WHAT WOULD U DO IN THIS SITUATION? Does IL or some states have some bizarre laws that I am not aware of???

07-03-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Call the local TV stations, newpapers, and radio stations, as well as the local chapter of the ACLU or ICLU(Illinois.).

I am not one to usually make a stink but that one sounded like the brown shirts hassling you!!
07-03-2011, 07:02 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I would have taken out my P&S, mount it on the tripod and ask "is this better?"
07-03-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear that you were harassed. Did you at least get a good pic?

I would have taken down their names, asked for the name of their captain, and promised to send letters to the station, the media, and anyone else who would listen. I also would have had my iPhone recording the whole thing.

We are not a Police state.

07-03-2011, 07:23 AM   #5

Sounds a lot like a power trip on the cops behalf. In saying that, I say that the people would be having lots of people visiting the station daily to be granted permsion for picture taking. Maybe someone complained and told theses officers to come over. I would say that was the case. Given some of the rules the US has on security now adays, it is almost more like a police state in some ways. Not to nice. You really have to watch yourself in public places seeing that some people that not not like the looks of what you are doing can really ruin your day. I hope that you at least got your picture that you wanted first.

I ran into something like this at the Canada Day event where I live. It was not as extreme nor where the police involved there where a few people talking about me and some of the pictures I was talking. I gently made them aware that I was standing there and stated my view on what was going on. It made things better. The family in question (they happened be in the view I was taking) even got a print of the scene I was taking for their picture album. I was lucky that I was in my own neighborhood I could do something help stop it from coming into something bigger. The family was even happy to get a free print of their family to take home.

I really take care when doing travel photograghy. I try not to set myself up to be a target (setting up tripod shoot etc.) and stay stealth so no one takes note of me being there. There are some shots you lose but at least you do not get into trouble. In cases like this, it would be nice to know someone local to help smooth out any possible problems like the one you ran into that night. Just some of my thoughts about the event and possible solutions.
07-03-2011, 07:23 AM   #6
Banned

I would have kept taking pictures and told that police officer that if he kept bothering me in such a manner I would file a harassment charge against him. but thats just me. and if I got arrested, I would file a charge for unlawful arrest.
07-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I would have kept taking pictures and told that police officer that if he kept bothering me in such a manner I would file a harassment charge against him. but thats just me. and if I got arrested, I would file a charge for unlawful arrest.
Pissing off Chicago cops is typically a bad idea. I highly recommend against it.

07-03-2011, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by extravagrant Quote
Pissing off Chicago cops is typically a bad idea. I highly recommend against it.
what, will he beat me up? if I'm doing nothing illegal to begin with there is nothing he can do. I don't know about you, but I fear no police officer, chicago or not. they are just citizens like the rest of us. if that happened to me I would not let him stop me from doing a perfectly legal action. if he does, or arrests me, again I would file charges. letting them get away with this type of activity is exactly why they do it! the more we allow ourselves to be harassed and treated as guilty before ever being proven to be so, will only lead to an escalation of this type of behavior and further pushing into a true police state. stand up for your rights, because no one else will.
07-03-2011, 07:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I would have just handed him a copy of photographers rights and ask him to read the law
I also would get badge numbers and lodge a complaint and notify media
You have every right to shoot in a public place
This was just power tripping
If i got arrested i would sue (and i think lawasuits are out of hand but not when tgey protect your rights)
That being said ive yet to have an issue anywhere but i rarely go to the USA
No issues yet in canada france italy or england (places ive shot since the 911 paranoia)
Ive done tripod based night shots in all and shot in places with lots of kids and adults
I probably have some media passes in my bag as well since i get them occassionaly
I'll shoot at pride today at some point and im sure some shots will include families and kids 7-800 thousand people so all walks will be there ( except our fat ass homophobic mayor - but there will be mayor drag lol)
07-03-2011, 07:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Sorry to hear that you were harassed. Did you at least get a good pic?

I would have taken down their names, asked for the name of their captain, and promised to send letters to the station, the media, and anyone else who would listen. I also would have had my iPhone recording the whole thing.

We are not a Police state.
I was too taken aback to think of all that. Maybe next time. I have not had time to see if the pics were any good. Looked ok on the lcd screen [but the cops were not impressed by them]. I will write to the Chicago Tribune. I wish I had asked for their names. It was the village of Morton Grove, a suburb of Chicago. The ridiculous part of this whole thing was that this was a small sorry looking ferris wheel. But in the darkness it was ok and the only reason I was shooting it was that I had never shot one before and I wanted to get some practice before shooting a good one...
07-03-2011, 07:55 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I believe that those who conrol private property can prohibit photography, or ask you to leave if you persist. That does not apply to public property. Ther may be some question about public property rented to a private party - say a concert held in a park. I'd check with ACLU or the Lawyers Guild.
07-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
WHAT WOULD U DO IN THIS SITUATION? Does IL or some states have some bizarre laws that I am not aware of???
Not with photography, but with recording audio...
QuoteOriginally posted by extravagrant Quote
Why are Chicago cops special? One of these days some over bearing cop is going to push it way too far with someone who is able to push back very hard - someone with the means and ability to take them to court both personally and the department/city/state or where-ever, pinning a judgement (breaking the bank) or hard prison time on them, or hopefully both. Based on some of the stories and articles I have been reading, its about time and can't happen soon enough.

07-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #13

Just an FYI about Illinois...
Videotaping Law Enforcement Illegal in 3 States|Photocine News

But yes I do agree with the fact that consent should not be needed to video tape, or photograph. Their line of questioning was ridiculous once they started asking where your kids were...I guess they can ask anything they want, but you having children and where they were had nothing to do with it. As for photographing the ferris wheel, or anything else for that matter, I would make sure you are familiar with the laws for the particular place (even down to the city, not just state or national laws). I have been harrassed due to having a tripod in NYC, but I guess there is some ordanance about tripods being an obstruction or something, I can't remember the text...but it seems to me you were perfectly inside your legal rights to be doing what you were doing, bottom line, I guess know the laws, and know your rights, also carry your rights with you.

Last edited by Donkeypunch; 07-03-2011 at 08:55 AM.
07-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #14

http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf
07-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

--- cut here ---
... ♪ and the home of the free ♪ ...
--- cut here ---