Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2011, 01:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
VOGUE Magazine & Pentax

Just wanted to share with all of the Pentax users that I did a 12 page Fashion editorial coming out in VOGUE Portugal November Anniversary Issue. It is called "Crossing the Line" and there was also a behind the scenes video which was also shot using the Pentax Kx and Pentax 18-250 lens.

I will post when I am able to.

UPDATE

Here it is: http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/2011/10/12/model-anne-sophie-monrad-photo...ogue-portugal/

Last edited by benjikan; 10-15-2011 at 12:28 PM.
07-17-2011, 06:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Sorry wrong post
07-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just proves that the right photographers can get any job done with nearly any camera. You just don't need Hasselblads to shoot magazine covers and fashion spreads in magazines. Thanks for the proof, Benjikan. Looking forward to seeing the shots.

I always have to laugh when I think of a magazine (that shall remain nameless) where an established photographer was shown inside shooting a cover model with a Hasselblad. The only problem is, the photos could have easily been taken with any DSLR. The size and print quality of the magazine they were featured in simply cannot establish any evidence of using the much higher megapixel camera and larger sensor.
07-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is the kind of thing you need to get cited in your wikipedia page Ben...

08-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Unfortunately, too many magazines are concerned about which media we are using. It's not about the capture type, it's about the photographer's ability. This prejudice works both ways regarding film and digital. There was once a preference for medium format film; now magazines prefer digital at the exclusion of film. They don't get it; it doesn't matter which media is used.
09-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Just proves that the right photographers can get any job done with nearly any camera. You just don't need Hasselblads to shoot magazine covers and fashion spreads in magazines. Thanks for the proof, Benjikan. Looking forward to seeing the shots.

I always have to laugh when I think of a magazine (that shall remain nameless) where an established photographer was shown inside shooting a cover model with a Hasselblad. The only problem is, the photos could have easily been taken with any DSLR. The size and print quality of the magazine they were featured in simply cannot establish any evidence of using the much higher megapixel camera and larger sensor.
A few points to offer:

MF isn't all about resolution.

I know Benjikan has shot with a 'Blad, and pretty sure that even though he didn't need one and wasn't rushing out to buy one, he did like it.

Would you knock back a 645D if offered one because you'll never see your work professionally printed anywhere that needs that kind of resolution?

Why laugh at a pro who has a 'Blad and chooses to use it? If I had a K20D, a K5, and a Blad to chose from, and was shooting a cover model in a controlled situation, I'm pretty sure that even though all camera's are up to the task - I'd be picking up the Blad very time.

As it is, I get to chose from an MZ50, 645, K100D, or a 645D. I've got 2 magazine front covers and a few articles out there shot with the K100D and know what it's capable of - but guess which camera I pick up 99.9% of the time, even for family happy snaps.
The 645D is now my main camera and most of it's work is in the studio, but I love using it and the way it feels so will happily grab that to use for anything and everything. It's there - why not use it?

Would you laugh at me shooting my daughter's 7th birthday party at a McDonalds with a $10K Medium format camera?
10-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For this shoot I used the 31 & 40 Ltd lenses with the K20D's ;-)

10-15-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote

Photos shot with the K20D and a 31 & 40 Ltd Lens. Video shot with a White Kx and a Pentax 18-250 lens. You may view it all here:

Benjamin Kanarek Blog | Benjamin Kanarek Blog