Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did a search didn't find anything

Nine years ago I was a money making pro photographer. I would like to get back to that, as I need extra money. I have no idea what the going hourly rate is now. Then I charged $70 an hour. I shot mostly families and youth groups, i.e., hockey, cheerleaders, etc, but I also shot graduating seniors, and graduated college students and little children.

I did a birthday shoot two weeks ago for a family member, now i remember why I liked shooting children, I had so much fun!! I'd like to do this again. That shoot was a freebie, and I charged no monies.

Can you help without giving the drawbacks cause I already know those.

08-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Going hourly rate varies by area as well as somewhat dependent on your cost to operate your business. In other words, what is that hour of time worth to you in combination with what can your area support?
08-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok good enough answer but still not what I was looking for. My area has two towns close together, one butts against the other. Population for both in 2009 was 45,101. Per capita income for one, is 20, 636, and for the other 29,100. This is per household. Which seems to me isn't a lot of money compared to prices of other things right now.

Having stated the above, I do not want to talk myself out of the venture, but I guess I need to do more research.
08-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That's because there isn't a set answer. Our business isn't on a standard fee schedule like many other businesses are.

I live about an hour from 2 small metro areas (as you see in my profile) - although I could have based my pricing on those two cities, the bulk of my clients are within the small towns adjacent to mine. So this was one of the factors I considered when pricing not just my hourly rates, but everything else I provide.

And your expenses - i.e. If you have a studio (rent, utilities, insurance, etc), then chances are you will need to charge more than if you're running a home-based studio.

Now, if you were charging $70 a decade ago and you're still living in the same area, that should be a good starting point. If you feel your area can support higher rates, you can always increase them in 6 months or so, once you re-establish your name.

08-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks George. No, I don't live in the same area I did nine years ago. My idea was to go to peoples homes or where ever they are having the party, and do my photography there. I probably won't start out with lighting as I want this to be more of a natural setting because this would reflect on my business name.
08-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

We do that too - tends to bring in more business than forcing people to come to us! You need to market that as a bonus to the client.

So consider your travel time, distance, wear and tear on your vehicle, etc. as part of your cost of doing business. You could set a mileage radius you would include in your hourly fee, then charge an excess fee in increments of mileage (20/40/60/etc).
08-22-2011, 04:24 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
George, thanks for the advice and help. Now I have another question. When I was shooting 9 years ago I had model releases, but since moving away from that area several times, I've lost my template for these and need to know where I can find another template. At that time too, I was a member of PPA, that's where I downloaded the release forms from; though now, I'm no longer a member, is there a simple release I can get on the web for little or no money?
08-22-2011, 06:04 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Best suggestion on the Model release is to Google Model releases and find the one you want to use.

08-22-2011, 06:17 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sure I can google. There are many on google....and I don't particularly like googling for answers I know are probably by someone here, that could answer my questions, and one someone could recommend one he/she might use. Google cannot answer my questions about a particular release either and I am not going to search hundreds of answers to my google search, then dig deeper because the one I found is almost perfect, but not quite there.
08-22-2011, 07:11 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Oh well. then I guess there may be some one here that has one that is just right for you. I know there are many different releases. and there are many sites that have free releases. If you have one you like than add to it and make it right. What is right for some one else may not be right for your use. I'm sorry I tried to answer the question.
08-22-2011, 07:45 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think for all purposes, I'll just dig one out that I still have but has info filled in, previous model releases that I had clients sign, and reconfigure it. It was simple and easy to understand for both myself and my clients.