Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Price Point Advice

Hello,

I am wondering if you can please review my proposed price list to help me see if I would be competitive enough without selling myself short. I have a bunch of different packages for a lot of different price points, so I hope this helps to make me stand out, other than the quality of the work I create. I am a hobbyist looking to get into paid work . You can see more of my work at my Flickr page in my sig.

Thanks,

Brian

All shoots rated for two hours w/ digital proofs

Budget Package $150
10 pictures of client's choosing ready for 8x10 printing
No physical 8x10 or 5x7 prints
No CD

Economy Package $200
1 8x10 and 2 5x7 physical prints
CD with client-selected images

Promotional Package $300
5 8x10 and 10 5x7 prints
1 location change
CD with 10 client-selected images

Portraits (Solo, Baby, Pet) $250
15 pictures of client's choosing ready for 8x10 printing
2 8x10s and 4 5x7 physical prints
CD with 15 client-selected images

Family Package $300
25 pictures of client's choosing ready for 8x10 printing
Additional location change
CD with 25 client-selected images

Engagement Package $50025 original sized files of client's choosing
2 Additional location changes
CD with 25 client-selected images

Corporate Package $1000
20 original sized files of client's choosing
No prints
1 location change
CD with 20 client-selected images

All CDs, except for the Engagement and Corporate Packages will have files ready to print in 8x10 size. These two packages will have full-sized images, ready to be printed at client's preferred size.

Travel FeesWithin 25 miles of my city is included in price
25-50 miles outside of
my city is additional $25
50-75 miles - $50, 75-100 miles - $75

Please note, Pentaxians, that the only way I'll give away original sized files is with the more expensive packages. Do you think I should do a certain amount of $/image option for going over any image limits or stick to the set prices for the specific number of shots listed?

09-12-2011, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

[bump]

Hey folks, it's been almost 3 weeks. Can't anyone comment here?
09-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #3

It's fair. You're on the right track. Never be afraid of charging more, that's how you pick your clients. If you are charging $5k for a wedding, and someone else is charging $500, you will NOT lose any clients to that person, because they're not looking for what you have to offer.

Your corporate rate has got to go altogether. Always ask what the budget is and then charge a little less. Don't EVER tell a business what you're worth before you know their budget.
09-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
RioRico, thank you for bumping my post. I am very grateful for the advice that I am receiving regarding my prices and packages. I have decided to raise prices by a bit from when I posted, but gave a few more pictures to the package. I have been working on my contract with one of the lawyers I work with to make sure that everything is set in stone and I'm good to go once I actually start to get requests for paid shoots. I have seen a lot of cheap photographers posting on Craigslist in the SF area, and it's actually concerns me, since the quality of the work on their websites is nothing to write home about and look like it's been done with a P&S. I just want to be competitive with the places in the mall (for portraits) and everyone else. I feel as though I have the chops and the gear to pull off almost any shoot (minus some lighting/studio gear) that I'm asked to do and I'm ready to take on non-friend events. I know that I'm going to be saving up for a K-5 and a FA77 once I get some money coming in, since I do want an extra body in case I do larger events and have a need for dual bodies.

09-18-2011, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great comment by Sperdynamite. I lurk the Pro section of the forum because I deal with independent contractors in my day job, and I see many of the same questions asked.

Speaking as a Non Pro (but some one who sells), I'd like to offer some food for thought:

Selling is Selling. Pricing is not Selling. If you are hoping price wins you a job you are doing it wrong. And if you price your jobs and close every one of them, you are leaving money on the table (and probably pissing people in the industry off because you are "screwing up the market")

People buy with emotion, not calculators. If you are talking price before the prospect sees your Unique and strategic competitive advantage... well you've lost your advantage.

Does your portfolio contain emotion inspiring shots that make people want you to be "the one"?
Do you have a popular following or social network so that you can acquire business through referral (because cold calling sucks)
What makes you unique from all the other photogs in your area? Can you use it as a strategic advantage.

I've posted some PM's to folks in the past, but you all should hear what Larry Steinmetz has to say.Larry has lots to say, and I know people who have made a great improvement to their earning capacity by listening.

Last edited by mattt; 10-16-2011 at 07:23 AM.