Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2011, 03:24 AM   #766
Veteran Member

I have Osteo/Rheumatoid Arthritis in both knees and tried to squat down for a few seconds while on the beaches of Jamaica. Six seconds was about the limit...except when I was floating in the warm Caribbean Sea chest high with camera in-hand.

10-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #767
Forum Member

-No Anti-Aliasing filter pls
10-23-2011, 05:26 AM   #768

dear pentax
The K5 is a really nice camera, I hope will improve the AF system, and found, reds and greens of the K20D
10-23-2011, 05:27 AM   #769

QuoteOriginally posted by befocus Quote
-No Anti-Aliasing filter pls
yes, but

true, but it can be dangerous

11-06-2011, 12:03 AM   #770

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dear Pentax,
More WR lenses and update existing non WR to WR. This is the whole Pentax niche in this market so go with it.
A 135-400mm WR DC variable aperture to compliment the 18-135mm. Not some huge bigma type lens, but something compact, WR and fast focus.
A 16mm f2 WR or 18mm f2WR, 24mm f2 FA-WR. Convert all the limiteds to WR lenses (DA and FA). Bring back an 85mm 1.4 FA (WR).
Oh and yes a full framew in the line up would be nice.
11-06-2011, 01:51 AM   #771
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I currently have a K20 and am somewhat reluctant to go with the K5 because of....
  • Lack of Tethering - open standards please - let third parties do the software and accessories like this.. http://www.thewhippersnapper.com/LittleBramper/Site/Home.html
  • The tight squeeze on the SDcard door (K5) - the K20's door and access is absolutely perfect!!!
  • Keep the wireless connection on the right side of the camera (K5) - on the K20 and before on the left side it interferes with the L bracket.

Please consider adding....
  • Some sort of indication at to which image number is the body currently working on when bracketing. I do a lot of bracketing at night with long shutter times, and with DFS, I loose count of what frame number I am at, when up on a tripod with a wired remote that is clipped to keep the shutter depressed. I need to know when to let up so as to be able to finish the sequence.
  • The ability to save the camera's configuration to an SD card - very valuable if the body goes into repair so that upon its return you can set it up again as expected.
  • 7 shot bracketing
  • Extending the automatic shutter time to 1 minute. I know we have the Bulb mode for this, but 1 minute would be a nice touch.
  • Hyperfocal information on the rear screen. With the removal of the lens aperture ring, and thus the DoF scaling, add a way to query the current hyperfocal DoF based upon the camera's settings.
  • Focus bracketing.
  • For manual lenses - M42, K and M - provide a way to enter the lens aperture so that it will be recorded in the EXIF data. Data entry like the focal length via a menu option would be nice. Also this might augment the default f2.4 setting for these lenses.
  • ISO 50 and 25

Last edited by interested_observer; 11-06-2011 at 11:31 AM.
11-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #772
Pentaxian

Dear Ricoh,

please address the past Pentax quality control. Maybe it is just perception, but the K-5 seems to have set a new record for having issues.

Given that Pentax has not got a strong "brick & mortar" store presence, people should be able to buy a Pentax camera with confidence. The issues the K-5 has been associated with make it difficult to order without fearing to enter a lottery draw for a good copy.

FYI, for example in New Zealand there are actually a few stores where I could get a K-5 (it is not present in the volume stores where many people get their Canikon bargains from) but the prices are so prohibitive, that store presence is of no actual use. If you can fix the New Zealand distributor problem that would of course improve things dramatically.

As things are, one has to buy a camera non-locally which in turn means that repairs become more of a hassle, involving shipping, insurance, and delays. Avoiding all of that is just one motivation to improve the QC, though. The overall brand image suffers if QC is bad. I no longer have a completely clean concious when I recommend Pentax cameras. I can just hope that anyone following my recommendation doesn't get a lemon. It would be far better to be able to recommend with confidence.

P.S.: Please enable calibration of the electronic horizon for users. They could use a procedure involving a plummet. If one would not have to send the camera in for this, that would cross one item of concern off the list.

11-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #773
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Please make for the top camera APS-H the new sensor!

Well that new camera will be bigger than K-5 is, that I do believe. Partly why (next to the convenience of having some crop and thus not so large lenses needed) APS_H is appealing to me. It will drain battery's faster then K-5 does, so maybe instead of current D-Li90 a new battery, but just carrie a spare and you get along. AF is an important issue, since it does need a new approach to make AF-C workable. Maybe I'm sattisfied with single PRIME III that is just twice the speed that PRIME II delivers (that should be possible with new technoligy, since PRIME II design is from 2008/9).

So here's my crazy idea: MAKE TWO NEW CAMERA'S

So you design that new camerabody, with the big OVF, that new AF-module (also for al the other platforms APS-C and 645D), that new electronic design (faster processing and also for APS-C and 645D) and the new shutter (stil quiet please).

My preference is APS-H, but the idea is still the same for a Full Frame format sensor.

The base for this is an APS-H sensor of about 28-21mm with a surface of 588^2 mm and pixelsize of 7 microns or 4,75 microns.
  1. New Hi-iso performance (sports/action orientated) camera with big pixels and a resolution of between 12-16 megapixel.
  2. New Hi-resolution performance (for those big prints) camera with pixels the size of current K-5 and a resolution of 26 megapixel.

Produce this camera in batches or like in car-industrie just as they come along in the productionfase. The only real difference between them fysical would be the sensormodule (and an extension on the name) that needs to be designed based on the same electronic lay-out and fysical size and connections.

They would run on different Firmware that makes one acting as a fast camera and the other slower (but that is also implied by the data read-out from the sensor, that is ofcourse slower with the sensor that carries more pixels.

The sports/action camera with up to 8 fps and the portrait camera maybe only up to 4 or 5 fps. This keeps the amount of datatstream to handle in the camera within reach of the possiblity's of a PRIME III processor.

In wich form to pack this camera:

Well I do realize that a camera that will pack more then a K-5 does needs to be bigger. But I don't believe that it isn't possible to make it small!

Looking at: Pentax K-5 with grip attached.

And making the grip integrated with the camera, just a little smaller then on this picture (wich can be done, since there is no separated connection between them) and don't make room for two battery's or a set of 6 AA's, but make room for one larger and more powerfull battery (more power then D-LI90 has to power up everything) then you still end up with a small camera

When K-5 messures: 131 x 97 x 73 mm (5.16 x 3.82 x 2.87") then you can make a K-1 (futuring a Full Frame of APS-H sensor) messuring 131 x 145 x 73 mm (5.16 x 5.71 x 2,87") futuring two sets of grips for landscape and portrait use. In this way there is for both grips the same space to the mount-housing giving the same workingway. Maybe still under 1 kg?

With only one battery inside, wich coult use a bigger space to carrie more power there is still a lot of extra room in the body to future more electronics and bigger AF-sensor. A second SDHC slot. Maybe even a little bigger screen on the back.

Is it small then?

When I look at Canon's 1D:
Wich messures 156 x 157 x 80 mm (6.14 x 6.18 x 3.15") and weights 1230 g (2.71 lb / 43.39 oz) then this K-1 is still very small.

In this way there is enough space in the camera to cramp all the neede electronics in and choosing a form that gives maximum ease of use for photographers combined with a reasonable small camera.
11-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #774
Veteran Member

Dear Pentax,
1) Dual SDHC UHS-1 or at least UHS-1 support
2) Larger buffer

Thanks
11-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #775
Veteran Member

Maybe Pentax can design an autofocus system that isn't confused by backgrounds. If an autofocus system can dismiss certain colors such as certain primary colors filling the frame such as sky blue or greens and concentrate on what is near your chosen focus points. I have noticed many of my subjects have colors or shades much darker or lighter than my backgrounds.

Another way to do it is to the photographer the option to chose an autofocus system that tends to dismiss the colors in the middle or the right of the color spectrum such as greens and blues.

Here is an example of how it could work. I was photographing a pelican in flight and my camera captured it as it suddenly turned down toward the ocean for a dive. My K-5 tracked it until just before it hit the water. My K-5 focused onto the sea at the point of impact rendering my subject blurry. It came back into focus when it started to take off again. The autfocus system I envision wouldn't be confused by the ocean because it would dismiss the primary color filling my frame.

Flickr: Andrew's Wildlife's Photostream
11-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #776
Inactive Account

Most of these are seen above but I guess I just wanted to get my two cents in. I would love to see a star zoom from 135 on. One up to 400 would be great or even to 300 would be good. I really would like to see a radio triggered flash system that would allow TTL. I use the 540 fgz right now and like it but I also like the few manual flashes I have as well, it doesnt seem sensible spend the money on more 540's if I cannot use the TTL aspect when off flash, so I picked up a couple lumopros and some other used flashes. I also really would like to have the ability to tether for studio work. I was a pro for many years and had been out for a while. When I decided to go digital I bought a Pentax because of the bang to buck ratio. I now shoot with K5 and a K20D. I love both these camreas. My daughter decided that she wanted to be a photographer so I have gone back into professional photography. All that to bring us here. I love my Pentax cameras and would like to keep them but there are some aspects that are making me look elsewhere such as tethering, the radio trigger problem, I can actually live with the lens selection but would prefer the zoom I mentioned. I would like to be able to shoot more raw images before the buffer filled up and the camera quit. Dual card slots would be great as would weather sealed flash units. Basically just take a good look at what pros need. I would shoot with my K5 over anycamera I have used and keep it if I could just have the tethering and TTL flash on radio trigger, the rest I could live with. I really dont want to have to go to Canon or Nikon to get these things thanks.
11-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #777

Photos: Gallery
fast and accurate AF in poor light or total darkness. I had a Fuji F100fs bridge that locked focus even in total dark, OK it shone a rather eerie green light to do it but so what it worked and that camera was built in 2005!
11-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #778
Inactive Account

Basics: Branding. As a Marketing and Bus Development Mgr., I understand the importance of branding, then sticking to the branding. Pentax is pushing hard, and making progress with, the weather resistant model. They are introducing killer WR enthusiast cameras, but without ANY decent wide-angle prime or zoom lenses.

1) Redesign the DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM lens. This is a huge hole in the K-5 lens line. I LOVE my k-5, but, there seems to be no choice for a high quality WR wide zoom lens, even at 800+ dollars.
2) Create a WR wide prime. I'd like to see a 1.4 WR prime in 35mm and 40mm.
11-15-2011, 03:05 AM   #779
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveEveritt Quote
I had a Fuji F100fs bridge that locked focus even in total dark, OK it shone a rather eerie green light to do it but so what it worked and that camera was built in 2005!
Already done.
11-15-2011, 04:15 AM   #780
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If the next body improves on the k5 great, it does not really matter if FF or not, for me a 500mm F4 is my dream...

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-26.096625,28.015869