Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #931
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drumhead Quote
How about a FF sensor in a K1000 body for $750. Set ISO, shutter, aperture and fire away. No preview screen, no AF, nothing. Back to the roots. For use with legacy MF lenses. Oh, but make it WR.

Just dreaming!

Actually give me a FF K5 with better AF and focus peaking in 16 days!

Ill take your k1000 theory and add a top screen, uncrippled K mount, SR, and both screw drive and SDM.

Who do I give my money too for this device!

09-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #932
Banned

Photos: Albums
How about a FF sensor in a K1000 body for $750. Set ISO, shutter, aperture and fire away. No preview screen, no AF, nothing. Back to the roots. For use with legacy MF lenses. Oh, but make it WR.

Just dreaming!

Even if Pentax could do it for fifteen hundred; mostly manual - I'd purchase it. It would almost bring back Penta's glory days; and get a new base - especially with students

Last edited by Medium FormatPro; 10-07-2012 at 04:52 AM.
09-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #933
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Just dreaming!

OMG, I'd buy one instantly, in the blink of an eye. Without a second thought.
09-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #934
Pentaxian

Dear Pentax,

Please give me a menu that has a structure I can organise and rename.
Make it also editable off-camera with a simple user interface.

Thanks !
Pete

09-03-2012, 01:16 AM   #935

Yes, Yes, And

YES Please !!

what a nice dream to dream
09-03-2012, 04:17 AM   #936
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Ill take your k1000 theory and add a top screen, uncrippled K mount, SR, and both screw drive and SDM.

Who do I give my money too for this device!
Yup, that's it! The more I think about it, the more I want this camera.
09-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #937
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yup, that's it! The more I think about it, the more I want this camera.
I'm in!

09-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #938
Veteran Member

Dear Pentax,

Please allow us Pentax DSLR users the option to choose which AF method we want with the DA* lenses. We believe that pro stuff like the DA*s should offer us choices because this will save our sorry butts from making excuses to our clients when the unreliable SDM motor fails. All it takes is a free firmware downloadable for the remaining bunch of loyalists you have
09-23-2012, 03:42 AM   #939

Underwhelmed with Photokina

Dear Pentax.

The pre-release blurb of the Nikon D600 FF camera, for around $1500, caught my eye, so I've been following the threads. OK, that was a furphy, but at $AU2,479 @ DCW with full Oz warranty still looks like a fair deal for an entry level FF.

PRIC , to say the least, rather underwhelmed me with their offerings at Photokina. No Roadmap for upcoming cameras? An outdated, and variable, lens roadmap? Where are you heading? I know Pentax has changed hands twice in five years, but to not give the 'faithful' any carrots , is, IMHO, a big mistake.

So, do I really 'need' a FF camera. Possibly not, but I'd like to think that I can grow into one. With my declining eyesight, a 100% viewfinder (or close) is a big plus.
I still have a plethora of Canon 'A' series cameras, and really enjoyed what I saw in the OVF. Oh, and BTW, Canon lost me when they left all us FD mount users in the lurch.

I've just roughly totted up what I should realistically realise from my Pentax gear, and it certainly gives me a foothold in Nikon land. The D800 is not beyond the realms of possibility (the build quality and WR being comparable to the K5, and a step-up from the D600), although some users unhappy initial journey makes me a little reticent.

I guess the D600 is still 'early days' so I will wait a bit and see if any inherent problems crop up. Suffice to say, I've got 'itchy feet'.

I'm not about to jump ship, but I am leaning on the rail.
10-03-2012, 05:35 AM   #940

Dear Pentax,

It's a bit depressing to read all these negative posts about your uncertain future in the DSLR market.

But then again I need to earn money, and your flash issue is the final straw. The K-5's known tendency to overexpose when an Af540 is mounted and tilted has reared its ugly head again. I thought I had a work-around but it was to no avail. My last paid comission as a result was a waste. I should have used a Nikon with its dependable flash system.

And I need tethering, and while the k20D suffices at the moment with its clunky interface, it's getting long in the tooth.

I am now estimating how much I will get from selling my gear and moving to a system that better suits my needs. Pentax, thanks for the good products that has allowed be to earn a crust as well as capture great memories of my family, but you are painfully sloooooow to move with the times and you give little indication of where you are heading.

I wish you all the best, but if you provide information on plans for new flash systems, tethering, releasing APS-H or even 135-format DSLRs, increasing flash sync speed, better video capability etc. just to keep up on lost ground, I'll stick with you. Otherwise goodbye Pentax, and hello Nikon!

Cheers,
M
10-03-2012, 05:47 AM   #941

PS.

My DA*50-135's SDM motor failed a couple of weeks ago. I have sold off all of my SDM lenses except this one.

I know you've recently 'fixed' the SDM issue but not acknowledging it and doing nothing for so long is not acceptable. Hmmm, did I just rationalise the final straw?

Pentax, you have a lot of work to do, so good luck.
10-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #942
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mohawk Quote

But then again I need to earn money, and your flash issue is the final straw. The K-5's known tendency to overexpose when an Af540 is mounted and tilted has reared its ugly head again. I thought I had a work-around but it was to no avail. My last paid comission as a result was a waste. I should have used a Nikon with its dependable flash system......
Sorry to hear of your problem, your letter should be required reading for the pentax engineers
10-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #943

Photos: Albums
Dear Pentax,
don't you want to give a sense to the K-5 external mic input?
So update the firmware to add:
1) Manual audio level adjustment (3 step 0, -10db, -20db would be enough)
2) 44.1Khz sampling rate.
This would greatly improve the audio quality with a minimal effort.
10-05-2012, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #944
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dear Pentax

Lots of cameras have LCD screens that swivel, tilt, or flip these days. Why not be the first to produce a "removable" LCD screen with a plug in umbilical. This would be very handy in any number of situations.
10-07-2012, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #945
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mohawk Quote
Dear Pentax,

I wish you all the best, but if you provide information on plans for new flash systems, tethering, releasing APS-H or even 135-format DSLRs, increasing flash sync speed, better video capability etc. just to keep up on lost ground, I'll stick with you. Otherwise goodbye Pentax, and hello Nikon!

Cheers,
M
My sentiments entirely.

I have been a long pentax user resisting the pull from Nikon when I went digital 6 years ago. I felt that Pentax had the best APSc system. However, recently I think they showed poor strategy and as a result a lack of a roadmap to Full Frame.
1) the jump to 645d was not good as it involved investment in lenses for this mount when sensor advancement would enable FF to be competitive on quality with FF (at least at 40 Mpixels). I have A series 645 lenses and the fact that their value has not gone up much indicates that this mount is not doing well.

2) The K-01 design was different for the sake of being different. It is an ugly camera with poor usability (button placement, flaps, ect) . Also if they were committed to this idea, they should have rolled out better compact lenses such as a XS retro zoom. thus the overall camera size could be competitive with the Sony NEX with a lens mounted. But they release one lens, and the camera gets attacked for being FAT. Then you hear that the K-01 is an idea not a plan for K mount mirrorless. In a competitive market you cannot afford these half step mistakes.

3) The Q is actually quite interesting and the logic they used for this camera is that sensor technology gets better thus enabling a really small camera system. I think this makes sense. But if this is true then see point 1) and ask yourself why not invest in FF instead of 645D? Had they done so when they launched the 645D, they would have a better foothold in the FF market.

Nikon has the right system with FF and APSc lenses being usable on both systems.....I will wait just a little more to see what Pentax has to offer then probably move on.

I used to defend pentax in fora like this and on the Consumers Report forum.. No more.