Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2013, 03:29 AM   #1081
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dear Pentax Ricoh!

With your expertise in underwater cameras, you should make an underwater camera with an APS-C-sized sensor! A "GRW". For underwater use, a 28mm equivalent should be perfect. It doesn't matter if the camera is significantly thicker than the ultra slim GR. And please, let it have "understated" exteriors like the GR or the old (W10, W20) W series models - no more Don'tYaThinkILookSportyHuh design, please!

04-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #1082
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As an experienced user with the K10D and now owner of a K5, a few things I'd really like to see are:
1. I love the K5 body/layout but I would like to see it a bit.. Bulkier, like the K10, as I had to purchase (the very expensive) battery grip to even be able to use the K5 (would also apply to the K7, K5II and the K5IIs)
2. I'd like to see some newer, BETTER professional flash units for Pentax on the market again, something similar to the AF280T's (best unit they ever made)
3. Dual memory card slots, or even compact flash rather than SD, (might be a bit of an inconvenience, but I think compact flash would be better due to its higher read/write speeds)
4. An increase in AF points... Kinda stupid right? I don't know, I've never used anything with more than the K5's 11 point AF system, but I think to compete with Canon and Nikon's 50-60+ point AF systems, Pentax should also do the same, not that there is anything wrong with what they have now, but I feel like it would offer more flexibility.
5. Built in battery grip on higher end models... That's right. I would like to see a Pentax camera with a similar design to Canons (famed) EOS 1DX. This may be a bit much, but I think it may be a cheaper alternative than buying the pricey batter grips, and would make the camera easier to hold. IMO the prosumer size is just... Too small. It would also really help with balance. Even with the battery grip on, I find the camera a bit top heavy why using some of my older wide-angle lenses.
6. Higher resolution APS-C sensors. I know we will be seeing this in the K3 so that is a bit irrelevant, but I'd also like to see this priced (and aimed) at the pro photographer on a bit of a budget.
7. Longer battery life (not that I have ever had a problem with battery life, but sometimes other people may)
8. No video feature... May sound kinda stupid as some people actually use that, but I feel like the video function in Pentax cameras is at least 3 or 4 generations behind Canon and Nikon on that, and in my opinion is completely useless, and with the removal of that I'd like to see an increase in IQ and noise reduction.
9. Maybe a slightly quieter motor... As I haven't yet had the funds to replace all of my lenses, I am still using many of the older lenses (circa 1980's-2009) which all use the screw drive, to me I find that it's a bit noisy and slow yet, but a big step up from the K10's AF motor.
10. MORE CAMERA'S!! That's all. The last thing I would like to see from Pentax is just more cameras.
11. The very last thing I'd like to see from Pentax, is just for the company to stay producing amazing equipment!
04-18-2013, 05:03 AM   #1083

Dear Pentax!
Please let us have the new 1.4 teleconverter working well with the DA* 60-250 and K-5 IIs, and let it be made weathersealed and released before the upcoming summer season, Thank you!
04-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #1084

QuoteOriginally posted by F-pix Quote
Dear Pentax!
Please let us have the new 1.4 teleconverter working well with the DA* 60-250 and K-5 IIs, and let it be made weathersealed and released before the upcoming summer season, Thank you!
I second this! i need it with the DA*200!!!!! Having it with a removable tripod foot or collar would be a nice touch too.

04-19-2013, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #1085
fuf
Forum Member

1) Please allow us to use any other than the center AF point for focus confirmation when using manual lenses.
2) Please include focusing screens like Canon EE-S in your higher-end bodies or at least offer them as supplemental products for those who like to focus manually.
3) Please release the FF body with a big viewfinder.

Thanks!
04-19-2013, 04:29 AM   #1086

QuoteOriginally posted by Mohawk Quote
I second this! i need it with the DA*200!!!!! Having it with a removable tripod foot or collar would be a nice touch too.
I third this! I want more reach with my DA*300.
04-22-2013, 12:18 AM   #1087

Please open your own stores in select cities. Preferably next door to Mac stores.
Maybe you could even share space.

04-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #1088
Veteran Member

Pentax I'm breaking up with you: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/222582-pentax-im-breaking-up-you.html

What I like coming from a Pentax K7 to a Canon 6D:
- Detail & Dynamic Range (Full Frame)
- Creamy Bokeh
- Amazing Low Light Performance (I'm sure the K5II is almost as good though)
- High Quality Video With Manual Controls & Timecode (also ability to do 50fps at 720p)
- Fast SILENT Autofocus (DA* SDM was far too slow!)
- Built in GPS & Wifi (Its pretty awesome having files auto tag their exact spot)

What I miss:
- Ergonomics
- Lens Design (for instance the BUILT IN LENS HOOD on the 35mm Macro LTD lens)
- Full Weather Sealing
- Sensor Shake Reduction (as opposed to built into lenses)
- Low Price of Lenses & Cameras
04-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #1089

QuoteOriginally posted by anomaly Quote
This is a suggestion thread.

It is not intended as a guessin' thread. Or a supposin' thread.. it is a suggestin' thread.

I am encouraging everyone to promote any good ideas they have for products that Pentax could develop and features they could add to their current line.

I'll start:

1. Weather sealed professional flash units. These could use a propriety radio triggering system which would allow control of the light outputs remotely from the camera ( assuming they are off camera). Faster recharge times (2 seconds or less) with a battery pack and a higher guide number if you please.
I mean come on.. you offer me all of that in a flash unit that is 500-700 bucks? My mouth will water and my wallet will open.

2. Expansion Grip. Someone suggested this before and I thought it was a great idea, you could come up with some innovative features to include in a grip. Some suggestions:
- A trigger for those flash units I just talked about
- Wifi connectivity to a computer
- Battery power, not just a battery compartment. When the primary battery in the camera is almost depleted, it would switch to grip power.
- Additional memory card slot for dual writes
- GPS
- Backup hard drive. Think about that! You would be able to go on vacation and be backing up all of your RAW files on a 120gig hard drive in the grip.
- Focus assist laser. This might be alittle tricky though.

Well that is what I have thought of thus far, I know alot of you have very good ideas, feel free to come and share. Hopefully someone from Pentax will see it. If you think your idea is really good you can send it to Pentax, I know I will.
I think these are all great ideas. I would like pentax to come up with a more advanced focusing system, more points, faster, more accurate, such as cannon has developed. I think pentax is falling behind cannon and nikkon in this area. Also if they could incorporate this into a new better mid range camera. NOticeably above the beginner, or mid as K-5 or K-30, but affordable, not like the 645.
04-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #1090

I'm afraid a relatively small company like Pentax will never have the latest and greatest in focusing and video features.

Anyway, what I'd like to see is some more attractive lenses. For example, the DA 50-200 has compact, lightweight and WR covered now, but optically it's not a patch on the (inexpensive but excellent) Nikon 55-200 VR. Actually that one does not have a performance equivalent in the Pentax world at all.

In addition, while I do like my old manual primes, the likes of the DA 35 2.4 and DA 50 1.8 could use some company in the 100..200 mm range (and maybe something 24..28-ish and 16..18-ish, too, though the mirrorless fraction with reduced registration distance will always have the more attractive offers here). Compact, affordable AF primes with good IQ, loosely inspired by the old M series. There's a total shortage of "normal" modern primes in that range (think 100 f/2.8 to 200 f/4 or thereabouts), so those could be a real hit and raise the company profile again. Fast "stack of primes" level zooms are necessarily big, heavy and expensive (or less heavy and expensive but fragile), and that's not what I'd want on my lil' K-x (/K-r/K-30).
05-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #1091

Another idea that just occurred to me:
Why not make something like a K-01 with an integrated focal length reducer (speed booster)? Ideally this would be removable.

Then the inevitably large registration distance would be good for something at least.

(Though I suspect that making a FF EVIL with selectable crop mode would be significantly cheaper, even if telecentricity would not be improved.)

Last edited by 52mm; 05-12-2013 at 11:19 PM.
05-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #1092
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 52mm Quote
Why not make something like a K-01 with an integrated focal length reducer (speed booster)? Ideally this would be removable.

Then the inevitably large registration distance would be good for something at least.
That is a good idea. I'm not a fan of the speedbooster stuff myself but it would be a nice quirk, and you could set it up kinda-like a teleconverter (with elements extending internally) so you can remove it.
05-12-2013, 10:39 PM - 2 Likes   #1093
Banned

05-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #1094
Veteran Member

(Though I suspect that making a FF EVIL with selectable crop mode would be significantly cheaper, even if telecentricity would not be improved.)
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
That is a good idea. I'm not a fan of the speedbooster stuff myself but it would be a nice quirk, and you could set it up kinda-like a teleconverter (with elements extending internally) so you can remove it.
A focal length reducer would require FF-lenses (if the cameras an APS_C sensor) so that would only make sense after pentax reestablishes a decent lens lineup.
However, a fully functional K-mount Adapter (with KAF mount and an integrated focus motor) would be a good accessory for any MILC. I'd love a K-01 successor to look something like the Fuji X-E1, a weather-sealed MILC with integrated EVF and fully functional adapters to K- and M-mount. The adapters would protrude ~7-12mm (M-mount) or ~25-30mm (K-mount) from the camera and allow the use of all K- and M-mount glass and without the adapters Pentax could build small lenses taking advantage of the short flange distance. Pentax could just licence the K-mount to Metabones (so they don't have to reverse-engineer it) and let them built the speed booster.
05-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #1095
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

A problem with a design like this is that the speed booster require a shorter register distance than without it. So it would need two adapters. One adapter with optics and shorter register distance, and one without optics and longer register distance. Because of this it would probably be better to design the camera with a short register mount as it then would also be possible to use lenses from many more mounts than Pentax K-mount.