Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #1291
Pentaxian

Do you want to sell Pentax cameras in New Zealand?

Dear Pentax,

as of 22 February 2016, your New Zealand distributor has not woken up yet to the fact that the K-1 has been announced. The last update to the website is from 28/09/2015.

This is just the latest example of how out of touch this distributor is, at least with respect to its PR. They are typically were late with announcing models and sometimes just skip some.

Sadly, this distributor also has a terrible reputation as a repair facility (I posted about this before). I'd rather ship my camera to Australia then have it serviced at Ian R. Little Ltd.

Last edited by Class A; 02-23-2016 at 03:01 AM.
02-22-2016, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #1292
Pentaxian

Shame
03-30-2016, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #1293
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dear Ricoh-Pentax:

MF

1. Make a 645 full frame camera with the 100 Mp Sony CMOS sensor

FF

2. Make a K-1 with the same sensor as Nikon D5

3. Make a cost cut and weight cut full frame camera with flash and wifi

4. Make a HD D-FA 24mm f/2,4 WR limited. A compact wide walkaround prime with internal focus, sliding hood with magnets at end positions

Both FF and APS-C

5. Give K-3II and K-1 a firmware update with a larger sensor simulator: Shift the sensor and stitch images from each corner. With +/- 1,5mm shift in X and Y it will simulate a 44 Mp, 39 x 27 mm sensor

6. Give K-3II and K-1 a firmware update that enables sensor shift SR during video (user selectable), continuous video AF and clean video output from HDMI

APS-C

7. Make a K-3 III with built in Wifi, flash and BSI sensor

8. Make a K-02 with electronic viewfinder, WR and slimmer body shape (except mount of course), retro styled design inspired by Fuji X-T10 and Olympus PEN F

Compacts

9. Make a WR Theta with 4K 60p HDR video

10. Make a dual Theta mount plate and software to enable 3D

11. Make a Theta projector and a half sphere "lamp shade" screen to view the upper part of the 360 degree image from both outside and inside. Enable live view from Theta camera to Theta projector

12. Sell Theta camera modules to phone companies to increase its impact on the market and spread the brand name

13. Shrink the Q and put Wifi in it. Sell the core of the camera to phone companies and offer a good mount shield lens as the kit lens

Other

14. Get a new distributor in New Zealand

Last edited by Simen1; 03-30-2016 at 03:34 AM.
03-31-2016, 03:35 AM   #1294
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I would love (but wouldn't be able to afford...) a 300mm f/2.8, 400mm f/4, 500mm f/4, 600mm f/4, 800mm f/5.6, etc..
All the 'normal' super-tele lenses.
Those are extremely costly lenses. I doubt Pentax have the economy to launch a series like that. But I have a much cheaper alternative:
Take advantage of TCs. Basicly a 200mm f/2,0 and a couple of dedicated high quality optimized TCs: 1,5x and 2x, that may be combined. That way we only need one very expensive lens, and a set of TCs that fill the needs of 4 very expensive lenses for a total price of less then 1,5. This will put Pentax on the fast lane in the telephoto competition. The TCs may be standalone K mount, or have a special mount or be built into the lens, like the Canon 200-400 f/4.

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
Please construct the ultra wide angle zoom with a filter thread. We use polarizers and ND filters still.
A polariser is not very useful on ultra wide angle in my opinion. Difficult too. I would rather have a rear filter slot. Or 10x better: A camera with a built in ND filter that can be slided in front of the shutter. A "lower ISO simulator".

---------- Post added 03-31-16 at 01:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Enrique S Toso Quote
Now I have this idea: Put an acelerometer and a gyroscope in the camera, and make them record the information of the movement of the camera, and syncronize that with the video file. Then, make a software that makes the image steady. Yes, like Instagram Hyperlapse, but in a DSLR camera.
That is a very good idea. The camera should record slightly more then 4K resolution to file and crop that to 4K in a post processing software (or in camera). Predicting future camera movement in real time is difficult and may produce sudden jumps if the prediction is wrong. When cropping to 4K in post process the software will know the camera movement both before and after the frame that is currently being cropped. This will make more steady videos then stabilizing in real time.

Sorry for answering an old post, but I think the wish for better video is relevant this year as well. I'll just add some comments about a 4K video optimized sensor. It could also be a very good sensor for high ISO performance and high speed still shooting. A combined sports still photo and video camera. The sensor should be 3:2 format because of still photo and have just slightly more then 3840 or 4096 pixels horizontally. Maybe 4200 x 2800 pixels (11,76 Mp). It should also be optimized for fast readout, maybe only 12 bit ADC in all fast modes. 4K 60p and FHD 120p would be excellent for video. That should mean up to about 45 fps full readout of still images to the buffer. Fast readout needs fast storage. A list of qualified M.2 SSDs in stead of SD and USB3 transfer to the PC should be fine. Large pixels also means potential for very high dynamic range and very good high ISO performance. For all slow modes there should be possible to enable a 16 bit ADC. Pentax should deliver this sensor feature wish list to Sony now and work out the wrinkles in collaboration. Decide between APS-C and FF and the amount of shutter roll. Pentax will of course be creative about features like focusing screen, multi channel audio input, smooth zooming and more.

Last edited by Simen1; 03-31-2016 at 04:30 AM.
03-31-2016, 09:18 AM   #1295
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
A polariser is not very useful on ultra wide angle in my opinion. Difficult too. I would rather have a rear filter slot. Or 10x better: A camera with a built in ND filter that can be slided in front of the shutter. A "lower ISO simulator".[COLOR="Silver"]
A graduated neutral density filter is extremely useful for ultra wide angle shots of landscapes+sky; even a polarizer can help in those cases. Just to mention one such applicable scenario.... Look at the lengths that some go to in order to set up a filter for the filter-ringless Sigma 8-16mm.
04-04-2016, 06:22 AM   #1296
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dear Ricoh-Pentax:
1. Make a 645 full frame camera with the 100 Mp Sony CMOS sensor
+1!

QuoteQuote:
2. Make a K-1 with the same sensor as Nikon D5
What? Why?
04-04-2016, 09:26 AM   #1297
Veteran Member

sholtzma: I agree. The lens should be front filter friendly too, for those purposes.

gazonk: Because one megapixel count doesn't fit all (pentaxians). D5 are optimized for high ISO performance and speed, the opposite of what K-1 are optimized for. AF module should be updated too. This way Pentax can make more of us happy. To keep the cost down (and because the K-1 body are fantastic) they can keep the housing the same.

04-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #1298
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A polariser is not very useful on ultra wide angle in my opinion. Difficult too.
You are making the assumption that a polarizer is only useful for darkening skies in which case, yes a WA lens will not give you great results with a CPL. But one thing I tell my students is that a polarizer is fantastic to get foliage to "pop". I have used CPLs with WA lenses in this way and the results are simply day and night. Highly recommended to try for yourself.

Michael

Last edited by MJSfoto1956; 04-04-2016 at 09:48 AM.
11-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #1299
Forum Member

Dear Pentax,

I'd love to see IBIS on par with new Olympus E-M1 MkII, or better. It can take sharp pictures with exposures of few seconds long. Actually, I saw sharp enough shots taken with 15 seconds(!) exposure handheld. Such stabilization gives a lot of new opportunities. Being able to shoot long exposures - waterfalls and running water, light rails, reflections in lakes, blurred motion, etc. any time you have your camera with you is really cool. Hiking to a remote waterfall and not carrying around a heavy tripos would let one go way further.
Olympus states performance of their IBIS is limited by effects of Earth rotation on gyroscopes. But you can do better! Pentax cameras already have all necessary sensors - GPS, levels, compass - to cancel effects of Earth rotation on gyroscopes.
11-04-2016, 09:10 AM   #1300
Veteran Member

Its a huge discussion around that image on 43rumors.com. I believe its a 100% hoax and not something you should expect from any camera anytime soon.
11-04-2016, 07:04 PM   #1301
Pentaxian

... or, it should not cost more than a good travelling tripod
02-26-2018, 01:30 AM   #1302
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Please add an option to use the electronic shutter in bracketing and HDR mode on the K-1 as you do for PS.
03-09-2018, 08:11 AM   #1303
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Please also add a save and load of parameters on a SD card...
03-11-2018, 04:44 AM   #1304
Pentaxian

Dear Pentax, can you do image stacking/compositing ala Olympus? Thank you
03-25-2018, 03:01 AM   #1305
Forum Member

I think Mirrorless should be next, such as a Mirrorless 645 like the Fujifilm GFX50s.
Pentax can easily come up with an adaptor for the lenses they already have, so that can buy them time while they develop more lenses
And while we are at it a Mirrorless M43 would be nice too. All those lovely Olympus and Panasonic/Leica lenses ...
I think a Full Frame Mirrorless would be a waste of time though. Everyone talks about how great the Sony ones are, but they still have to have big stonking full frame lenses attached to them, which in my opinion totally reverses the advantages