Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #466
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Plenty of K-x cameras have a problem with ghosting / double images with SR on at those shutter speeds. There have been a few threads on this subject.
Link, please.

03-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #467

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Link, please.
The search function is your friend...
03-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #468
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kari Quote
The search function is your friend...
Tried K-X ghosting and K-X double image. Zero results.
03-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #469

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Tried K-X ghosting and K-X double image. Zero results.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/91982-k-x-sharpness-problem.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/91291-pentax-k-x-m...r-problem.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/91213-k-x-mirror-slap-issue-real.html

03-12-2010, 01:41 AM   #470
Pentaxian

Thought firmware solved that...
03-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #471
bfo

Reliable SDM.
03-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #472

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm from Romania, and still have no idea how can i see and try a k-x or k-7 before i buy one. Off course, i can order one from 3-4 stores, but they are in Bucharest, and I'm at 450 km distance. I mean i can find in my town Canikons, every other town, but not Pentax. So before i could suggest improvements, i would be happy if they would at least try to make the products available.

03-21-2010, 07:29 AM   #473
Inactive Account

Hi Pentax again

So, a slew of thoughts now on the K7 prior to which you CLEARLY read my older rant here in this very same thread. I shall split them into factual comments and some generic thoughts. Ready to begin?

- It is way too easy to inadvertently switch on Liveview when changing with the thumb between AF modes, the respective switches are somewhat too close/not ideally positioned relative to each other. Others have pointed this out as well as I’ve learned.
- The only ergonomical idiocy from Pentax I’ve ever come across: the top LCD panel illumination. Up to now (pre-K7, i.e., MZ-S, K10/20), it was switchable on via a button just as one would expect it to work though I always wondered why you cannot turn it off YOURSELF just as well and have to leave it to it automatically. Logically I would expect it to remain switchable on when I need it and perhaps become actively switchable off as well. But now...no. Neither of the two botched options in the K7 suits me: now I have either to switch off illumination completely so as not to bother me when I don’t want it, thus rendering it effectively non-existent, or having to bear with the idiotic way it turns on every single time when metering (i.e., making a shot and perhaps wanting to look inobtrusive)/changing ISO/exp compensation. I would strongly welcome a third option (and a one certainly easily implementable via firmware update) of assigning a dedicated/selectable button just so that illumination can be turned on (press 1) and off (press 2) on demand, and only on demand (or more precisely in the latter case, turn itself off when not done so actively after some time as in earlier bodies). Shouldn’t be too difficult.
- I would like to see more ergonomic/elegant arrangement of rear buttons, and the buttons themselves more refined in finish/the tactile sense, something to the end of Olympuses E-P1/2 or Leica Ms/X1. Which also tell you that simpler and cleaner is more elegant..
- The top panel (seems directly transplanted from the K10/20) is somewhat disproportionally large for the more compact body, not least making it appear bigger than it actually is (the K20 with its hunched, subdued mafiozo-style blobbiness in comparison somehow managed on the whole to LOOK smaller than it actually was). Also by making the top panel a bit smaller (NOT removing it completely) perhaps some space could be saved for a more ergonomic (see points above) and cleaner arrangement body design-wise of the back controls.
- The same goes for the rear control wheel, it protrudes somewhat more than it should, coming too easily into the thumb’s way, and also distorts the otherwise clean body lines. Perhaps embedding it a notch or two deeper into the body would help.
- Better low ISO sensor/performance is self-explanatory and has been called for ad nauseum, so just for completeness’ sake (I won't go into FF fantasies in the K7 body, at least for now).

Finally some general thoughts, or rather my generic consumer rant on Pentax body designs and how they relate to in-house lens designs, and where I would like to see a more consistent effort and clear long-term positioning.
Let me begin with the MZ-S – though it had its design flaws, and didn’t look equally good from ALL angles, from MOST of them it managed to look strikingly good. The sleek body lines somehow redefined elegance in SLRs (remember how long Photozone used it as a visual hook to its camera review section?) not least by building subtly around the viewfinder hunch and rear control wheels, making it appear on the whole a smooth, understated, inobtrusive urban-looking camera with rangefinder-ish accents. The moderate weight right at the limit of what one could still call “eminently portable” also helped.
Now, I would like to see even more resonance of that elegant, subdued style in Pentax’s DSLRs. The K7 somehow screams to me in an almost Nikonian affirmative: I’m big in the DSLR business, although in a compact sort of way. Perhaps it has to do to with the pronounced viewfinder hump (the meaning of which I do not get as it is mostly made of just the flash holder which does little more than taking up space), perhaps with some oversized elements relative to the body size (see above). I’m also firmly convinced the bodies could go even more compact - what is it particularly about the girth of all digital bodies as compared to film SLRs? – it makes all DSLRs look fat and bulky even with smaller front dimensions compared to their film counterparts. And lighter - the K7 is a step in the right direction here but only in the evolutionary as opposed to revolutionary sense from the K10/20 (remember that average weight of the lighter film bodies was little more than of today's m4/3 compacts? - I would welcome as close down to 500g (420?- the weight of MZ-3) as possible). And I would like to see some more elegance in some details (most of them outlined above) to make it on the whole appear less of an SUV in city settings and more of a “I’m right at home here“ style of camera with a touch of urban elegance (again, the MZ-S body lines!). Or in other words: I would not hesitate to bring the MZ-S with a limited attached to a restaurant or theater, with the K-7 I would. By making a statement with your unique selling proposition (the Limiteds), I would like to see the same kind of steady sense of direction and elegant understatement in your bodies. I would like to see more of the Japanese Leica thing (and I’m not the first user to come up with this), with autofocus and DLSR versatility. End of message.

And, oh, I like VERY MUCH how the camera looks directly en face – the front side contours and depressions are just soo sexy.

Last edited by nanao.; 03-23-2010 at 06:56 AM.
03-21-2010, 07:52 AM   #474

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
I'm happy with my K20D but would like faster focus, better high ISO performance with less noise and some more fps. I have had it for close to 2 years and would like to upgrade within the next 12 months or so but don't want a smaller body, I want something at least as big or slightly bigger than the K20D. I'm getting the battery grip to make it bigger and easier to handle. (for me anyway).
I only use the centre spot focus point so don't really care if it has more, but more metering points is good. Mirror lock up without having to use the 2sec self time would be good to. Don't want scene modes, thats part of the reason I got the K20D.
03-23-2010, 01:41 AM   #475

Teleconverters! Is it really such a big deal to make them? Well, outsource it to Kenko or wherever then...
03-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #476
Forum Member

For heaven's sake don't make the camera bodies any smaller. Or lighter. The fact that Pentaxes are substantial is part of why I bought my K10D and then the K20D later. They are tough (and with my clumsiness they need to be). I also use a battery grip to add some bulk . . I mean have you seen a D90? It looks like something made by Fisher Price. I expect if you breathed on it a bit forcefully something would break.

Better high ISO performance and more fps in burst would be the two biggies for me. And I'm not that fussed about the fps. I don't really give a monkey's about the aesthetics - function is far more important than form. Some affordable decent lenses would be nice too. Until then Tamron and I are best friends.
03-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #477
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tringle WP Quote
For heaven's sake don't make the camera bodies any smaller. Or lighter. The fact that Pentaxes are substantial is part of why I bought my K10D and then the K20D later. They are tough (and with my clumsiness they need to be). I also use a battery grip to add some bulk . . I mean have you seen a D90? It looks like something made by Fisher Price. I expect if you breathed on it a bit forcefully something would break.

I understand that some folks like the smaller body size of the K-7, but I agree with Tringle WP's comment above. I rather like the heft of the K10D/K20D, and I prefer to shoot with the battery grip.

Perhaps if they continue to have two basic product lines (higher end and lower end) they could make the lower-end products smaller, and the higher end products larger.

Will
03-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #478
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote

Perhaps if they continue to have two basic product lines (higher end and lower end) they could make the lower-end products smaller, and the higher end products larger.

Will
Yep. There is something like that already. It is called "C-A-N-O-N". What I want is P-E-N-T-A-X. Or, small+IQ.
03-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #479
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nanao. Quote
Yep. There is something like that already. It is called "C-A-N-O-N". What I want is P-E-N-T-A-X. Or, small+IQ.
That's what YOU want. Want some of us want is P-E-N-T-A-X and we don't want it any smaller than the K20D. Or, less expensive (than Canon) + IQ.

Will
03-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #480
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
That's what YOU want. Want some of us want is P-E-N-T-A-X and we don't want it any smaller than the K20D. Or, less expensive (than Canon) + IQ.

Will
It's smarter for Pentax to continue making small designs. It sets them apart and attracts attention. I've read far more people applauding the K-7's small size than the other way around.

Oh, and since I'm in the Dear Pentax thread. Please make a modern 28mm prime, with weathersealing, if possible.