Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

To Hell With VF's: LED Contacts Make Augmented Vision a Reality

LED Lights Make Augmented Vision a Reality | Elemental LEDucation

QuoteQuote:
We know LED lights are versatile enough to be used for practically anything, but LED contact lenses? Really?! Yes, as it turns out, really. University of Washington researchers have figured out how to implant semitransparent red and blue LED lights in contact lenses, for the purpose of receiving and displaying data in sharp visual images and video. This means wearers will literally be able to watch TV or view photos that are projected directly onto their eyeballs.

...Ah, the real world. With augmented reality becoming a reality, it feels like the real world is fast becoming a relic of the past.
EFV, OVF, LiveView screen, LCD panel -- who cares?!? Who needs them?!? Just beam the picture|data direct from camera to eyeballs. No VR goggles needed. See Vernor Vinge's Hugo-winning Fast Times At Fairmont High and its spinoffs for explorations of the applications. Ordinary reality is just so 2011...

Last edited by RioRico; 10-04-2011 at 12:27 PM.
10-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The question is... Will there be a M42 adapter so I can mount my takumars and jupiters to those contact lenses?
10-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Also, where is the HDMI output?
10-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe so, however they are still working on the overall esthetics ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
The question is... Will there be a M42 adapter so I can mount my takumars and jupiters to those contact lenses?

10-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vw_michael Quote
I believe so, however they are still working on the overall esthetics ...
Ah, the one in your example obviously slept a few nights with a thorium coated lens still stuck to it's head.
10-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm waiting for a direct neural connection. Why bother with contacts when you can stimulate the brain directly.

Seriously though, it will be interesting to see how it works out.
10-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Ah, the one in your example obviously slept a few nights with a thorium coated lens still stuck to it's head.
I guess those old takumars were radioactive after all.

10-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's the Eye-Phone! I'm still not going to wear contacts; I can't touch my eye.
10-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some 25 years ago, when contemplating the telephonic addiction of my then-wife and my still-darling daughter, I predicted that there would be one day direct subcutaneous implants of telephones. At this time cell phones weren't the ubiquitous appliances that they are now, for good or evil.

What RioRico brings us is even more malign. Imagine some poor sod stumbling down the street, watching reruns of The Simpsons while trying to navigate crosswalks. Or some fool trying to "multitask" while driving! The mind reels....

I remember vaguely a SF story of many years ago in which one could, for a large sum of money or credits or whatever, enter a perpetual fantasy world. Supported in a foam cradle or whatever, sustained on IV drips, eyelids removed, an endless video or whatever based on one's chosen script was projected onto the viewer's retinas. The illusion of reality was total....
10-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote

What RioRico brings us is even more malign. Imagine some poor sod stumbling down the street, watching reruns of The Simpsons while trying to navigate crosswalks. Or some fool trying to "multitask" while driving! The mind reels....
What about a homicidal maniac whose HUD gives him a crosshair reticle providing perfect aim and an inventory of remaining ammo and weapons!?
10-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
What about a homicidal maniac whose HUD gives him a crosshair reticle providing perfect aim and an inventory of remaining ammo and weapons!?
In Vernor Vinge's stories, every locale on wired earth projects several layers of reality (augmented). The basic level is essentially commercial -- you're surrounded by ads. Upgrade your account ($$$) to be rid of those annoyances and you can see a locale in whatever ways its inhabitants or proprietors want to be seen as, with data overlays like filtered FB Timelines. And since you're linked into the ubiquitous surveillance nets, you can see around corners, around the block, around and into anything to which you've bought access. You don't want to take off the contacts, nope -- ordinary reality is just too flat and boring, and you'd just get lost.

Last edited by RioRico; 10-05-2011 at 12:14 AM.
10-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
In Vernor Vinge's stories, every local on wired earth projects several layers of reality (augmented). The basic level is essentially commercial -- you're surrounded by ads. Upgrade your account ($$$) to be rid of those annoyances and you can see a locale in whatever ways its inhabitants or proprietors want to be seen as, with data overlays like filtered FB Timelines. And since you're linked into the ubiquitous surveillance nets, you can see around corners, around the block, around and into anything to which you've bought access. You don't want to take off the contacts, nope -- ordinary reality is just too flat and boring, and you'd just get lost.
Give me the glasses version. I can't touch my eyeballs. I can't even watch someone else put in contacts.
10-05-2011, 12:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Give me the glasses version. I can't touch my eyeballs. I can't even watch someone else put in contacts.
Correction: that should have been, "...every locale on wired earth..." (fixed now).

In the wonderful world of the future, specialized nanobots will build the uber-contact-lenses onto our eyeballs as we need them, and dissolve them when they're updated. And we'll all have our atomic helicopters too. I can hardly wait!
10-18-2011, 03:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Speaking of nanotechnology, imagine what an animated pouch made of nanotubes filled with an high-refractive liquid could do to photography ... a lens that morphs itself. 8-1000mm compact zoom? No problem! Forget the Takumars

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Correction: that should have been, "...every locale on wired earth..." (fixed now).

In the wonderful world of the future, specialized nanobots will build the uber-contact-lenses onto our eyeballs as we need them, and dissolve them when they're updated. And we'll all have our atomic helicopters too. I can hardly wait!
10-18-2011, 03:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vw_michael Quote
Speaking of nanotechnology, imagine what an animated pouch made of nanotubes filled with an high-refractive liquid could do to photography ... a lens that morphs itself. 8-1000mm compact zoom? No problem! Forget the Takumars
I think Falk Lumo would say that optics/physics can't be bent that far. Don't you hate when reality intrudes?