Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2011, 10:10 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

I always have my little buddy with me when I'm shooting in bad locations. We never get bothered.

10-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like to turn off the rear LCD at night, so it doesn't display anything unless I press the review button. It might be a good tip to avoid drawing attention, or encouraging someone to think you're using film (see thread in film SLR section about how film cameras deter people).
10-19-2011, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
I'm definitely with the people who would rather let go of their gear, than risk being injured / killed, or even up for a manslaughter / assault charge!
What happens when the guy wants more than your camera? What happens when your with your family and they want to do harm to them? It's a crazy world out there now a days. It's your right to protect yourself and the lives of the people around you. I don't want to start a gun debate but I do carry a full size 9mm pistol under both a CCW and on my badge as a Peace Officer and have carried it in my camera bag on occasion.

10-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I'm a Brit... So not sure about the gun debate to honest...

However... Most 'muggers' are working on the assumption of fear... That the victim will simply 'comply' with their demands to hand over that which is asked for...
I've pretty much grown up 'inner-city' and you kinda develop a 6th sense about when trouble is going to strike...
I try to strike first and continue striking until 'mugger' is down or I'm down...
Usually however... Mugger legs it after a solid blow and some european language...

I try to live according to the poem 'Desidarata'... As far as possible 'but without surrender' be on good terms with all persons... Basically, be cool but don't get shafted!

10-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use old film gear in places I think my DSLR will attract too much attention. I have a can of pepper spray handy. I have two or three knives on me. I hide my gear in a pocket or something that doesn't even look like a photography bag. I have wired my straps and my bags with craft wire for extra protection. I keep my head up, my ears open, that's it.
10-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #21

Kill a guy for a camera equipment less worth then 3-5 wages? Sorry epic fail, no wonder they may "want more", i had been robbed once, i gave them my stuff, they left, i left, ich survived and got everything new by the insurance company...

When not everybody would be allowed to carry a gun there would be less guns even for the bad guys...
Not to mention the " Peace Officer"
Sorry i really appreciate people working in safety sectors/ police, firefighters etc. but carrying a gun....

Well the phrase "shooting" gets a whole new meaning then...
10-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Situational awareness is key. If I think I'm likely to need a weapon while taking photos, that's a clue to relocate to a safer spot. I am just a hobbyist. Pros, especially journalists, have less freedom and need to go where the action is.

I carry a small, black, unmarked bag that doesn't yell "expensive easy-to-resell gear inside".

10-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #23
Forum Member

The mugger would not stand at arm's length, but closer threatening you, he does not expect a response within the first 3 seconds, that is the time you have available, keep your eyes on, hit him as he talks, you must be able to throw a good punch, or be equipped with a belt knife and do a fast move, then you have to run or keep hit him to the ground.

10-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #24

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
I have to be very vigilant as I use a 4 wheeled walker so I consider myself a bit of a moving target. It doesn't take much to assume I won't put up much of a fight. I am young to be using a walker and I am very careful about my toys be it my iPhone, iPad or camera and equipment. I don't walk around looking like I have anything expensive. I act confidently and behave like I belong wherever I may be; it could be the small Canadian prairie city I live in or the big cities of North America or Europe that I love to visit. I do know that if it is a choice between me or my gear - they can have the gear. I will not let my disability and the what ifs of this world, stop me from enjoying what I love, my body places enough limitations on me.
10-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyD Quote
Get a CCW and a Ruger LCP.
The peoples republic of Maryland only lets Police and Hoods carry. (I do have a knife you could shave with )
10-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

The people who advocate shoot (or stab) first and ask questions later are rather irresponsible, and quite probably full of horse manure. It's easy to talk big on a forum, quite something else to cap a person who already has the element of surprise.
Also, in most of the world, shooting a person is a good way to end up in jail charged with murder. Now since the OP appears to be an American, it may well be that the law will let you get away with killing or attempting to kill a person for a few hundred dollars worth of camera equipment, but in most parts of the world, this is not the case, so it is well to check local laws before pulling a gun on somebody and risking shooting the wrong person.
10-19-2011, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Now since the OP appears to be an American, it may well be that the law will let you get away with killing or attempting to kill a person for a few hundred dollars worth of camera equipment

The member that posted about that said nothing about camera equipment but rather:
QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyD Quote
What happens when the guy wants more than your camera? What happens when your with your family and they want to do harm to them?

But please, don't let me get in the way of your America bashing.
10-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
The peoples republic of Maryland only lets Police and Hoods carry. (I do have a knife you could shave with )
Haha, nice to know that since I'm from MD too.

What are the bad places to shoot here ? Are they only in PG county ?
10-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
Haha, nice to know that since I'm from MD too.

What are the bad places to shoot here ? Are they only in PG county ?
HA! I'm in a pretty safe area and I worry more about mosquitoes and deer flies than people. I did get worried deep in the woods when I heard some wild dogs getting closer once and left the area pretty fast.
10-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
HA! I'm in a pretty safe area and I worry more about mosquitoes and deer flies than people. I did get worried deep in the woods when I heard some wild dogs getting closer once and left the area pretty fast.
haha. I'm new to photog scene, any suggestions for good places to shoot in MD ?
Closed Thread