Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2011, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm Frustrated

I love taking pictures at night. It's peaceful, there's usually no one around, and I can mess around with long exposures. I love making startrail pictures. Right now there's a meteor shower and low lying fog, and it's clear and relatively warm which make me want to get out and take some cool pictures. The problem is, there's nowhere I can go to do this. The best place would be a park with no lights, where I can find a good composition of trees, water for a reflection, etc. But all the parks close at sunset. And no matter where I go, I'll be seen as 'suspicious'. A couple of weeks ago I went to take some pictures of moonlit fog under the stars in a forest preserve that was technically closed. I got a call from the police and I had to walk back to the car. I was patted down, received a parking ticket and was told I was lucky not to get a ticket for trespassing. The officer was mean and asked me why I was nervous, assuming I was high or drunk. She didn't even know who owned the park and she tried to make me pay $75 instead of $25 for the parking ticket even though there wasn't a 'no parking' sign. All this for wanting to get some pictures like this:

This was my 10 minute picture before I was called by the police. Even getting pictures of a sunrise or sunset is challenging with these dumb 'sunrise to sunset' park hours. Anyways I just wanted to vent my frustration.

10-22-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Beautiful image. It really is a shame that the world is anti-photographer. Perhaps you could go to a more rural area in Ohio or Wisconsin and ask a Farmer to take shots on his private land?
10-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If there's no NO PARKING sign, fight the ticket. Take camera and images to court. And yes, get out of town. I find quiet farm roads away from town lights, no problem.
10-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear of the excessive paranoia in your part of the world. Just a note that taking many short exposures and stacking them to get startrails will create a darker sky background. A search here should reveal more on this subject.

Jack

10-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Expensive image, but I agree with Ric, that officer was asserting her authority inappropriately. You and your car were within rights to be where you were, doing what you were doing. Unless there are clear indications of private property and parking restrictions, you should be free to shoot where you please without feeling like you're an impostor.

Great result, and I'm sure you'll get the chance to do it again somewhere even more interesting.
10-22-2011, 10:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Krp -

(1) I agree...your experience is pretty ridiculous. Common sense reigneth, eh?
(2) You might try asking the cops the same question you're implicitly asking here. With advanced notice, they might be willing to turn a blind eye (or tell you the nights that your new friend is off-duty ).
(3) Nice pic!!!
10-23-2011, 04:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Is it not a publicly owned park? If it were private property it would seem to me the officer would need a complaint from the owner in order to make a charge of trespass (though empty threats are cheap).

"Technically" closed means "closed". If you knowingly go into a place you're not supposed to you also accept the risk of some degree of hassle over it.

How did the police manage to "call" you?

10-23-2011, 07:43 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I understand completely and absolutely agree! A couple weeks ago I was driving back from Sedona late, and tried to find a side road to pull off into so as to get some night imagery too. Recently on another drive up to Sedona there was a vista with parking that was not closed (gated) at 9 pm, so I used that for a time, before the moon came up and I headed home.

This may or may not help...Personally, I would fight the ticket. For trespassing, the land owner needs to complain, is my understanding.

10-23-2011, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Sorry you got hassled. It's only a $25 ticket so taking time to challenge it might not be productive, but still consider challenging it to hopefully maintain access to good photography locations.

You said it was a forest preserve. Who owns it: federal, state, county, non-profit, etc.? Which jurisdiction wrote the ticket? Was it even the police - some parks are patrolled by public safety departments (not technically "police" where I live but they can still issue tickets) or maybe private security? Were you parked in a parking lot or along a roadway? (No need to reply with answers, just things to think about if you fight the ticket)

In order to have better luck in the future, think about:
  • Join a local astronomy club. They will know good astrophotgraphy sites and how to get access.
  • Contact the park owner to see if there's some way to get written permission for nighttime access.
  • Call your State or local parks dept. to ask if any parks allow photos at night. Mention that you're a hobbyist rather than a professional (pros often face tougher restrictions and higher fees).
  • If the parks dept. is unhelpful, call politicians who oversee the parks dept. Explain how the all-parks-closed-at-night policy impacts you. Ask for suggestions and assistance.
  • Call the police dept. non-emergency number, or speak to an officer on the street. Don't mention your prior ticket. Let them know you want to take nighttime photos. Do they know any places where you can do so safely and legally?
Almost all parks near me (Long Island, NY) are closed at night. The State Park Dept. issues a $30 stargazing permit that allows access to specific parking lots. Money well-spent.
10-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
krp
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I was hassled by village police and the forest preserve is owned by the county. I've sent them a few emails asking how strict they are about their hours, but haven't received a reply. I guess I'll keep trying. It's not the parking ticket I'm mad about. If it was $75 I might have fought it but it was changed to $25. I just wish people weren't so suspicious of photographers. If I drive awhile I might find a couple parks that stay open later, but the picture above is only a mile from my house, so that would be way more convenient.

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Sorry to hear of the excessive paranoia in your part of the world. Just a note that taking many short exposures and stacking them to get startrails will create a darker sky background. A search here should reveal more on this subject.

Jack
Actually that's what I usually do. It's just difficult with no way to use an intervalometer with the K-x.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Is it not a publicly owned park? If it were private property it would seem to me the officer would need a complaint from the owner in order to make a charge of trespass (though empty threats are cheap).

"Technically" closed means "closed". If you knowingly go into a place you're not supposed to you also accept the risk of some degree of hassle over it.

How did the police manage to "call" you?
The hours could also be interpreted as when the parking lot closes, since that is where the gate is. I know many people walk their dogs through parks at night and I doubt the police go after them. I was using my Dad's car so they called him and then got my number.
10-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Second the astronomy suggestion. They often have viewing nights at places they've reserved, etc.

Also, just go camping (legally) and take pictures. Not suspicious, secluded, and dark.