Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #16

I think I've been guilty of all of those at some time or other.

Anybody want to buy a load of expensive, improperly used, Pentax gear ?

What's an aperture again ? ? ?

10-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #17
Inactive Account

I have one to add... I have talked to two "photographers" lately who were asking me questions. I always ask them "well, let me ask you a question, do you shoot in manual or auto?".... they don't immediately answer, followed by them looking down at their dial, followed by "well, I think".. I stop them right there. If you think you shoot in.... you don't shoot in manual.

that being said I try to be very nice and give them my card, then tell them when they learn to shoot in manual feel free to email me with those questions... the answers will make a lot more sense after you know what an aperture is
10-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mannesty Quote
What's an aperture again ? ? ?
I'm pretty sure the aperture is what you call the clicky button thingy
10-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
another sign of a bad photographer, they show you ALL the images they take, bad, good and awful! Good photographers only show you good stuff!

And I agree,if you don't know your basics of setting exposure, you ain't a photographer, just a user!

regards,

10-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
#2 -- Using pop-up flash with telephoto lens in camera green mode. And hold the camera in a very wrong unimaginable way.
Wait, you mean there's a right and imaginable way to hold the camera when you're using pop-up flash with a telephoto lens in green mode? I've tried holding it by the flash and swinging it over my head, but it doesn't really work.
10-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
another sign of a bad photographer, they show you ALL the images they take, bad, good and awful! Good photographers only show you good stuff!
Actually that's not true I don't think. There is such a thing as overkill, but if you don't show the ones that aren't perfect sometimes how are you going to learn? Of course I like people to show off the good ones, but it's valuable for me to see the not so perfect stuff too. I sometimes learn a lot from their mistakes. Sometimes I make the same mistakes too. I like photographers who aren't always perfect actually, particularly when they aren't ashamed to admit it.
10-25-2011, 03:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
Wait, you mean there's a right and imaginable way to hold the camera when you're using pop-up flash with a telephoto lens in green mode? I've tried holding it by the flash and swinging it over my head, but it doesn't really work.
One Lomographic technique is to drop the camera and see what the shutter snaps when it hits. Or put the shutter on delay and throw the camera+lens+flash into the air. It spins and snaps; you catch it (hopefully). Or buy a large goat, strap the gear to its back, and keep your finger on your wireless remote. Or strap the gear to your leg at about knee level -- an interesting vantage point.

Oh no, those are all wrong ways. The right and imaginable way: Wear it atop your hat. The hat on your head. Yes, that's perfect.

10-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #23
Veteran Member

You missed the point all photographers are BAD we get together and talk endlessly about old gear, new gear, gear we wished we had,bad gear, some-one else's gear, ISO, F stops, apurtures, shutter speeds,fast glass and endless photo's to disinterested people. We must seem strange to non-photographers,but I prefer to think that I'm "BAD".
10-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Chill out. I wasn't targeting you either, or anyone. The truth is, every photographer started from scratch. It is foolish to insult others as bad photographers just because one is more advance now (or so he/she thought).
I think your sarcasm meter is a bit off today
10-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I think your sarcasm meter is a bit off today
I think sure it's not the 1st time.
10-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #26
Pentaxian

# 11 - Inability to count.

10 signs ?, but there's 11 in the list....lol ....ooops, now there's 12.

Mine is picking up a camera.
10-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
# 11 - Inability to count.
That's a Baker's Ten. Or for polydactylic users.

QuoteQuote:
Mine is picking up a camera.
Yeah, that's always a bad sign. The pros just setup the scenario and lighting, and let the working drones do the grunt work of camera-handling. Look through a FOCAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF PHOTOGRAPHY and you'll find more than a few noted 'photographers' who didn't hold cameras themselves. What a gig!
10-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #28
Pentaxian

That's a Baker's Ten. Or for polydactylic users.

QuoteQuote:
Haha, Its funny, it just shows sometimes we all look thru that view finder and miss seeing the obvious flaws in our composition, A person in the background, or rubbish on a beach, gravy dip on the edge of a plate, 11 points of interest instead of the advertised 10.

Yeah, that's always a bad sign. The pros just setup the scenario and lighting, and let the working drones do the grunt work of camera-handling. Look through a FOCAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF PHOTOGRAPHY and you'll find more than a few noted 'photographers' who didn't hold cameras themselves. What a gig!

QuoteQuote:
Yes Yes, I let Ansel do all that tiresome , Clicking and Developing who ha for myself.
10-27-2011, 06:22 AM   #29

One needn't be a fetishist to admire toes and ankles and nicely-articulated metatarsals, eh?

Good one!!! Needed 15 min to be able to stop laughing!!!
10-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guilty on #5. In my defense, I can only say that in addition to frequently being in camera range she's an irresistible subject.