Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Oh no, those are all wrong ways. The right and imaginable way: Wear it atop your hat. The hat on your head. Yes, that's perfect.
I tried facing the popup flash at me to make it bounce , but kept getting the same shot. An old man looking at the camera not the correct way to hold it I suppose.

10-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Hmmmm, you can use a kit lens on a bright day without a lens hood, as long as the sun is at your back or at an angle that doesn't allow direct light into the lens. You can even shield with your hand with an SLR.

The sin is using a pop up flash at more than 10 feet, it has nothing to do with what the length of the lens is.

So is making up signs of a bad photographer that are less than accurate a sign of being abad photographer? Probably not as bad as not knowing what an aperture is, but hey, if he knew as much as he thought he knew, he wouldn't have said some of those things.
10-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Top Sign of a Bad Photographer?

Bad pictures
10-29-2011, 06:42 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Top Sign of a Bad Photographer?

Bad pictures
Define 'bad'.

10-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #35
Veteran Member

0-10 is 11 numbers.
10-31-2011, 01:35 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Define 'bad'.
Anything I don't like.
10-31-2011, 02:03 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Don From The Radio Quote
0-10 is 11 numbers.
You noticed! But it depends on how many fingers we have. (In hex code, decimal 11 is 0B.) And whether we must remove our shoes to count above 10.

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico:
Define 'bad'.
Anything I don't like.
OK, that eliminates most magazine photos IMHO. The web.image quotient is even higher. Sturgeon's Law: 95% of everything is crap. That's an underestimate for photography.

Almost all photography is bad. Much is very very bad. Yet we look upon it anyway. Are we pervs? Are our visual systems seduced by any flashy trash?

Yes.

10-31-2011, 02:48 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Almost all photography is bad. Much is very very bad.
I have a book STIEGLITZ STEICHEN STRAND put out by the Museum of Modern Art. It's one of those big, over-priced, but well printed, artsy coffee table books. It gave a good and pretty complete survey of these three photographers lifetime work.

Anyway one time I sat down and just looked at each picture quickly just using my gut reaction and asking - "did I like the image?" Note: I did not ask whither I disliked an image but simply what really intuitively grabbed my attention and appealed to me.

Result: 12% of the lifetime work of three of the "greatest masters" of 20th century photography were, to me, "good" images. The rest "bad" or indifferent in my opinion.

CONCLUSION: Anything that I say about a given images says more about me than it does about the objective quality of the image let alone the "art" of the image.
But then, how could it be otherwise?
11-02-2011, 03:50 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Someone who doesn't know what aperture is or what is does let alone how to change it.
What do you mean, I still have the same aperture that came with the camera when I bought it, didn't know they have to be changed?

Greetings
11-02-2011, 05:27 AM   #40
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
another sign of a bad photographer, they show you ALL the images they take, bad, good and awful! Good photographers only show you good stuff!

And I agree,if you don't know your basics of setting exposure, you ain't a photographer, just a user!

regards,
I agree 100% with this - although just to spite me I had a person who was a little unhappy with their disc of 40 images for an hours session and demanded she see all good or bad. Unfortunately she had a lot of sway with people who I also want to impress. Long story short, she now has a disc of 120 images of mostly cack (exc. the 40 expertly edited )! Felt pretty bad about the whole thing, like everyone was on the losing side...

So yeah. Like you said really
11-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #41
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by markos Quote
I agree 100% with this - although just to spite me I had a person who was a little unhappy with their disc of 40 images for an hours session and demanded she see all good or bad. Unfortunately she had a lot of sway with people who I also want to impress. Long story short, she now has a disc of 120 images of mostly cack (exc. the 40 expertly edited )! Felt pretty bad about the whole thing, like everyone was on the losing side...

^^your nicer than me. I'd have said no way. If I felt they werent to the best of my ability I'd reshoot, but no one but me see's my unedited stuff
11-03-2011, 03:22 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by markos Quote

So yeah. Like you said really
I actually disagree, if you just want to show good pictures, you will never ever learn again and stay the same. You need to show also bad pictures so you can get advise on how to make them better.
Furthermore, I have shown a picture at my local (former) photoclub, got lot of praise for it. Showed it to my new local photoclub (due to a move), and they thought it was average. Also entered a contest, was deemed good. So when is a photo good or bad? you don't really know until you show it.

And on what you said about the 40 edited pictures, I had my wedding pictures taken, and they were edited. a month ago I got the negatives of the wedding, and guess what, we found other photo's to be much better suited for us than some of the edited ones.
11-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only mistake you made was to not say that you discarded the rest of the images!

For learning situations, you show people the questionable images. You want feedback to move forward. But with my statement I was relating this to the person that is NOT looking for feedback and really does not have a clue that their images are awful (stuff out of the head, bad focus, distracting elements in the image, etc.). I am certain we have all run into these types of "photographers". Some people start out with an inborn ability, the rest of us have to learn it and we ALL must hone our skills!

Regards,
11-04-2011, 05:37 AM   #44
Pentaxian

The thing is I didn't discard the rest of the images, still have them. Some are good some are average. Buyt for us to put in an album, I like some. But if a family member wants a photo, they again might want another one, because it suits them the best. The only pics that should be descarded are out of focus or moved. Even a distracting object in a photo, could be something meaningfull for someone else, just not to you.
11-07-2011, 02:14 AM   #45

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
#1 -- One who is all bitchy to newbies! If they are good then why should they worry about competition and put others down?
But but but, I only want to help the newbies so they don't make the same mistakes as I did/do - hehe.

Last edited by Falke; 11-08-2011 at 04:02 AM.