Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2011, 06:22 AM   #1
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Is it wrong to finger a seller of fake multicoated filters?

I've looked at a few talks about fake Hoya and B+W filters, but not much said about the sellers. I've been told that it is not easy to confirm that a company knowingly sold fakes, but I think it should still be mentioned somehow... they just keep doing it. I the smart answer is to pay the $$$ for quality... sure, I know and I've currently spent over $350 re-outfitting a few of my important lenses so far.

I'll start things off and if I'm in the wrong for posting, could the moderator delete.

Citiwide of Hong Kong. I purchased a 82mm 1A and packaged HMC and it was crap glass and reflect light very well.

Roxsen of Hong Kong. I purchased a so called 77mm Hoya Pro1 had a poor coat on it and my old genuine HMC block far better, sent it back and it got lost some how, so no refund and they claimed they never had any transaction from me.

10-26-2011, 06:32 AM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
I've looked at a few talks about fake Hoya and B+W filters, but not much said about the sellers. I've been told that it is not easy to confirm that a company knowingly sold fakes, but I think it should still be mentioned somehow... they just keep doing it. I the smart answer is to pay the $$$ for quality... sure, I know and I've currently spent over $350 re-outfitting a few of my important lenses so far.

Citiwide of Hong Kong. I purchased a 82mm 1A and packaged HMC and it was crap glass and reflect light very well.

Roxsen of Hong Kong. I purchased a so called 77mm Hoya Pro1 had a poor coat on it and my old genuine HMC block far better, sent it back and it got lost some how, so no refund and they claimed they never had any transaction from me.
such info is valuable; thank you.
10-26-2011, 07:29 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well... you buy from Hong Kong and expect the real deal?
10-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
Well... you buy from Hong Kong and expect the real deal?
I hoped for good deal as it worked out very well before. I found a seller that had real Pro 1 67mm filter at a good price. Yes, it is a real one... However, the seller changed names and owners. So that dried up.

10-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

that would of course be the issue with buying off the web sometimes. nothing beats being able to pop into a good local store. and most will match any reputable web price
10-26-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
that would of course be the issue with buying off the web sometimes. nothing beats being able to pop into a good local store. and most will match any reputable web price
I have few shops left that carry what I want and many times it is only special order and for a higher cost. I here about some who can still walk a short distance or hop a train and the camera gear heaven is ready to help. I drive out a distance to get to decent selection and otherwise they have high overhead that is past to limited market customers like me and next to no selection with Pentax gear. Thank goodness for B&H and a few others.
10-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I feel sorry for those of you in the US sometimes. I pass 4 well stocked good camera stores on the way home every day and can hit a couple more without any major diversion from my walk home

mind you not that long back the same walk would have had 8 stores, one of them bought out all the others
10-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #8

I feel sorry for those of you in the US sometimes. I pass 4 well stocked good camera stores on the way home every day and can hit a couple more without any major diversion from my walk home

mind you not that long back the same walk would have had 8 stores, one of them bought out all the others
what country has such saturation of photo equipment? sounds awesome. I used to live in Zürich and the photo situation was better than most places in the US but way too expensive. in Chicago it's nearly impossible to find a well-stocked photo store… and impossible to find one stocked with ample Pentax stuff :<

Last edited by capote; 10-26-2011 at 10:30 AM.
10-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Toronto in Canada. We really are spoiled for choice of retailers
in the downtown core on my walk (7km) home I pass Henrys, Downtown Camera, Vistek and Aden Camera(2 locations). just off this walk there are several smaller specialty shops like eight elm photo and harrys pro shop. Aside from that there is also the Big Boxes (Best Buy and Future Shop) but i never buy camera gear from them or any of the other smaller electronics stores that sell tvs more than cameras
Pricing isn't always good mind you for that i shop the web and get price matches. but if i can I buy from the Brick and Mortar to help ensure they stay there
there are also at least 5 pawn shops with a regular assortment of varied quality stock on this walk.

When I was in Barcelona a couple of weeks back just walking to Plaça Reial from where i was staying by the university i also passed several camera stores including one very large pro oriented one that had a huge selection of large format and medium format and leica gear on the top floor (i was drooling but the pricing was way off what i know i can get it for) and even the department stores had the K5 (at stupid pricing)
10-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
Pentaxian

But that is the only advantage of living in the Centre of the Universe. I need to travel 300 km to go to a very well stocked shop (the Camerastore in Calgary) but then there are others nearby.

I have ordered some large format adapters from Hong Kong and recieved the merchandise promptly and the product exceeded my expectations. I ordered from there as they had one item I had not been able to locate elsewhere
10-26-2011, 11:21 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
But that is the only advantage of living in the Centre of the Universe. I need to travel 300 km to go to a very well stocked shop (the Camerastore in Calgary) but then there are others nearby.

I have ordered some large format adapters from Hong Kong and recieved the merchandise promptly and the product exceeded my expectations. I ordered from there as they had one item I had not been able to locate elsewhere
Well there are advantages to a larger city certainly, but I believe montreal and Vancouver also have good retail camera shops. Calgary I don't know as well haven't been there in eons.
Medicine hat is at a disadvantage due to size more than anything else i would think. If I moved to Barrie north of toronto I'd be lucky to have more than a smaller Henry's and the usual big box stores
I too have ordered from hong kong (both my battery grips, some parts for a metz potato masher flash and spare batteries, and lens/body caps) no issues at all. I would be more wary of things like filters which are easily misrepresented and counterfeited and would affect image quality. There are knockoffs of the Cokin filters from Hong Kong that are not accurate for the colours and add a colour cast on the ND filters that i would avoid for instance

As for the Center of the Universe lol, not really at least not for me. I'd rather live in Vancouver or Montreal but the job is here and My house is paid off. Really I'd rather live in Paris or London but haven't convinced the hotel that I'd be an effective purchaser in a market i don't know.
10-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Well there are advantages to a larger city certainly, but I believe montreal and Vancouver also have good retail camera shops. Calgary I don't know as well haven't been there in eons.
Medicine hat is at a disadvantage due to size more than anything else i would think. If I moved to Barrie north of toronto I'd be lucky to have more than a smaller Henry's and the usual big box stores
I too have ordered from hong kong (both my battery grips, some parts for a metz potato masher flash and spare batteries, and lens/body caps) no issues at all. I would be more wary of things like filters which are easily misrepresented and counterfeited and would affect image quality. There are knockoffs of the Cokin filters from Hong Kong that are not accurate for the colours and add a colour cast on the ND filters that i would avoid for instance

As for the Center of the Universe lol, not really at least not for me. I'd rather live in Vancouver or Montreal but the job is here and My house is paid off. Really I'd rather live in Paris or London but haven't convinced the hotel that I'd be an effective purchaser in a market i don't know.

Actaully up until last year I could get 4X5 E6 processed locally so cannot complain too much. There is one place that is more of a photofinishing place that will order in for you just about any gear you want and the price can be very competetive. The Camerastore in Calgary is very good and in Vancouver Beau as well as Leo's and I cannot remember the other one downtown area are all still fine. The local place when I bought my wife her 16-45 some how misplaced the invoice so did not know how much to charge me so I had the lens for about a month until I dropped by when the owner was around to pay for it. Smaller centres have their advantages as well.
10-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Actaully up until last year I could get 4X5 E6 processed locally so cannot complain too much. There is one place that is more of a photofinishing place that will order in for you just about any gear you want and the price can be very competetive. The Camerastore in Calgary is very good and in Vancouver Beau as well as Leo's and I cannot remember the other one downtown area are all still fine. The local place when I bought my wife her 16-45 some how misplaced the invoice so did not know how much to charge me so I had the lens for about a month until I dropped by when the owner was around to pay for it. Smaller centres have their advantages as well.
they do have pluses (lots of jobs is not one which is how I ended up moving)
I lived when younger in Collingwood for a while and skied for a living (if you can call ontario hills skiing) at the beginning of my first season i picked up the gear in november and paid for it in february. then the owner got me sponsorship for the next year.
Medicine Hat is a big city compared to Collingwood in the 70's (population was 11,000 or so at the time)
10-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

China and Hong Kong are not exactly good sources for grey market items any more. Their markets are so flooded with counterfeits its what you are most likely to get. Its whats available to sellers there. It wouldn't surprise me if they one good filter you got was also a counterfeit all be it a better quality one. I have bought many items direct from Hong Kong and China but you have to be prepared for what you are going to get and pay accordingly. Out of hundreds of products I have gotten from such sources, I have only got a single product that actually seemed like it was a genuine product. I'm guessing it was probably sold out the back door of the factory without paying licencing and or royalties. I have gotten plenty of decent and usable stuff though.

If you bought through ebay, I wouldn't have even bothered with a return. I would have just filed a dispute with ebay claiming the item was counterfeit. If you used a traceable method of shipping and its within 45 days, I would still file a dispute.
10-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #15

Photos: Gallery
I live in Arkansas. There is not a Pentax retailer in the state. I live 100 miles from Memphis and there isn't even a Pentax retailer there. I would much rather buy in person, but I don't have any choice.