Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How about: Serious About Photography!

10-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
How about: Serious About Photography!
If they were that serious they would have expanded onto full frame market in the early 2000. I'm still waiting.
10-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AMBIVALENCE Quote
If they were that serious they would have expanded onto full frame market in the early 2000. I'm still waiting.
Pentax success in ASP-C worths something too.
10-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I actually think it's a very good slogan. With Pentax gear you tend to stand out in the crowd of cannons and nikons.

10-28-2011, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #20
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
"Be interesting" is not intended to say something about Pentax, it is intended to say something about the user/customer. At least that's how I read it. Kind of silly that Pentax would create a slogan to say that they should be more interesting, don't you think?

Anyway, I don't care that much about slogans. I'd rather see they don't spend another dime on it, and come up with some new lenses instead.
10-28-2011, 01:48 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Anyway, I don't care that much about slogans. I'd rather see they don't spend another dime on it, and come up with some new lenses instead.
I can't agree more. If Pentax came with (a) brilliant new product(s), they wouldn't even need to advertise. A good product/brand really sells itself. Especially if the smaller amount of advertising results in lower product prices. More bang for the buck!

Here in Holland, Nikon started a very irritating advertising campaign. They're commercials are on about every half hour or so. In every commercialblok in between movies, you'll see the Nikon commercial comming by. This abviously costs a huge amount of money, and it's all calculated in their product prices.
10-28-2011, 02:08 AM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I can't agree more. If Pentax came with (a) brilliant new product(s), they wouldn't even need to advertise. A good product/brand really sells itself. Especially if the smaller amount of advertising results in lower product prices. More bang for the buck!

Here in Holland, Nikon started a very irritating advertising campaign. They're commercials are on about every half hour or so. In every commercialblok in between movies, you'll see the Nikon commercial comming by. This abviously costs a huge amount of money, and it's all calculated in their product prices.
I wouldn't necessarily go that far. I think that, if advertising is what is needed to keep the sales up and - in the long term - keep the company from going bankrupt, then it's understandable, and even fair, if the end-user also has to pay for that. I'm just not terribly interested in slogans themselves, and what makes a "good" slogan. And I think that right now would be a good time to spend more money on developing new lenses, and less on creating a new slogan.

10-28-2011, 02:17 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I can't agree more. If Pentax came with (a) brilliant new product(s), they wouldn't even need to advertise. A good product/brand really sells itself.
"Build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door." Nice idea. Not true. History is littered with great products that weren't marketed and failed, and not-so-great products that WERE marketed and succeeded. Pentax-Ricoh needs great products AND great marketing if they're to gain sales volume.

Some slogans:

Pentax For Your Soul
Have You Shot Your Pentax Today?
Pentax, For Those Who Care
PENTAX: When the others get wet, they die
Pentax Does It Better
10-28-2011, 02:17 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think that's pretty much what Pentax have been doing since the SF series, and have failed miserably.
10-28-2011, 03:39 AM   #25
Veteran Member

The Nikon 1 series is being heavily advertised here in Australia. I wish there were a few billboards advertising the Q.
10-28-2011, 03:48 AM   #26
Veteran Member

What happended to the "If a product needs advertising, it probably is a very sh*tty product."-attitude?

When I wanted to get my first DSLR in 2007, I specifically did NOT want a Nikon, because of the heavy advertising.

But then again... I really am a special case. If I had the money, I'd buy a Leica. I know even less Leica users then Pentax users.
10-28-2011, 04:20 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Every product needs advertising. The more, the better. I had to search A LOT to get to Pentax recommendations.
We need to see more Pentax products on TV shows, movies, outdoors, magazines...
They have to make a funny ad, its a great start.
10-28-2011, 04:58 AM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Every product needs advertising.
Yep.

The more, the better.
Nope. I don't want to pay too much for it when buying something from Pentax. Also, if Pentax spends too much on advertising, that money doesn't go into the product. So where is the substance then? For example, look at Bose. Their products these days are nothing what they used to be. But they sell because they advertise so much. I wouldn't want one though, because there is no substance behind the commercial talk.
10-28-2011, 05:23 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Yep.

Nope. I don't want to pay too much for it when buying something from Pentax. Also, if Pentax spends too much on advertising, that money doesn't go into the product. So where is the substance then? For example, look at Bose. Their products these days are nothing what they used to be. But they sell because they advertise so much. I wouldn't want one though, because there is no substance behind the commercial talk.
If they sell more, they'll make more profit. That will compensate the advertising costs and will make the company more money, that can be invested in developing new technologies.
10-28-2011, 05:28 AM   #30
Inactive Account

If they sell more, they'll make more profit. That will compensate the advertising costs and will make the company more money, that can be invested in developing new technologies.
Yes it can, but Bose isn't doing it, at least not to my knowledge. They build substandard equipment that sells because of the image they have created over the years. It's a pity, but that's the way it is. Not sure if audio and camera equipment can be compared in this regard, but I'd hate to see it happen to Pentax.