Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #1

Predictions for Black Friday 2011

This is my first post on the pentax forums and I will soon be a newbie to the Pentax family. I will be purchasing a Pentax K5 around Thanksgiving and was wondering what the community thinks will be the price on or around black Friday? Will the prime lenses go on sale or will they remain the same price through Christmas? Thank you in advance!

10-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I know nothing, I have no industry friends slipping me inside info, so I can only guess. I'll guess that some individual retailers might place some modest price cuts on Pentax gear; but if those sellers are also pushing Canon, then Pentax cuts might be VERY modest. OTOH, Pentax-Ricoh just may decide to make a big splash then. If you see an ad blitz in the next few weeks, great! But probably not. My guess: Don't expect fat discounts on a K5 until a new model is announced sometime next year.

This is a dilemma with consumer electronics. Current stuff will always get cheaper because new, better stuff will obsolete it. Waiting for the best deal on the best gear means waiting forever. I've learned to buy what I want when I want it and can afford it, not to wait for a better deal.
10-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
None of the stores around here carry Pentax so it will not matter. I doubt the price will be much different than what it is now. They will all be pushing the "big" brands.
10-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I know nothing, I have no industry friends slipping me inside info, so I can only guess. I'll guess that some individual retailers might place some modest price cuts on Pentax gear; but if those sellers are also pushing Canon, then Pentax cuts might be VERY modest. OTOH, Pentax-Ricoh just may decide to make a big splash then. If you see an ad blitz in the next few weeks, great! But probably not. My guess: Don't expect fat discounts on a K5 until a new model is announced sometime next year.

This is a dilemma with consumer electronics. Current stuff will always get cheaper because new, better stuff will obsolete it. Waiting for the best deal on the best gear means waiting forever. I've learned to buy what I want when I want it and can afford it, not to wait for a better deal.
I would second this advice. If there is no really good discount on Pentax for black Friday, don't wait any longer... Buy what you can afford. I bought my K-7 about six months before I could have afforded a K-5 and am glad I didn't miss six months with my camera. Hopefully there will be some nice sales for you though, since you can spend more on lenses if you save on the K-5!

10-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I predict an order of a DA15 Ltd from myself.. that's about all I can be assured of. Depending upon sales/discount prices of course..
10-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #6

Original Poster
I am going to purchase the K5 body along with a 70mm prime lens. My target price is $999 (for the body only version) and was wondering if the body only will be offered at that price before Christmas at any authorized retailers? Some Canadian retailers already have it at that price, but I really wanted a USA warranty. I don't need the camera until Christmas and will pay any thing for the lens since it gets fantastic reviews.

Last edited by freewheelin25; 10-28-2011 at 10:23 AM.
10-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
actually i saw it at a Canadian store for $985 the other day. dollar is currently at par but has been bouncing around a lot. a few days back the USD was $1.03 CDN for a day. by on the right day and it's even less.
The international warranty comes in the box from Pentax Canada BTW, and in Canada the camera has a 2 year warranty.
I'd still recommend buying local where you can though. you'll never see good distribution in the US if you don't start supporting at the local level where possible (provided of course there isn't a stupid price variance)

I would be someone will be $950 USD on black Friday given we are already a grand up here. maybe even less

10-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #8

buy.com rakuten points 20% back!!!!!!! in 15 min, one hour Magic sale, 11 am PST. For $1040 you should be able to get it all, 2 diff shipments though, you have to wait 15 days for items shipping to redeem the 20%. but thats a lens, maybe bad and flash as well
10-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #9

Original Poster
How does that program work with the 20% off?
10-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #10

The person I talked with today indicated there would be a 20% back, did not happen is only 7% today. 15 days after an item ships out you will get the points on your account. Still on a $1000 purchase its $70 bucks obviously, 20% is a lot better. But they only do it for an hour it looks like. There are more delails at buy.com, have to check out through buy.com to get the points as well, no google or paypal check out.
10-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The earthquake earlier this year and the present floods in Thailand have affected the camera and electronics industries badly and shortages are everywhere so this year might be the best for Black Friday sales on some items. Pentax came out better than some others. I bought my K10D on Black Friday at Ritz Camera a few years back. They have since gone bankrupt and closed 75% of their stores. There is not a brick and mortar store that sells Pentax between here and NYC, 200 mi to the south. Online merchants offer Black Friday sales too. The best deals are on bundles, usually a camera and multiple lenses and usually a lens that hasn't been selling well. The deal I got was the camera and kit lens at the average going rate but they were throwing in a Sigma 70-300 for free.
11-22-2011, 06:42 AM   #12

Original Poster
Will the big name retailers offer the K5 for $999 on Black Friday? Stay Tuned!
11-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #13
Pentaxian

If they do, I might jump.
11-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'd bet on a KR blowout from what came up ion this thread
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/166053-pentax-k-r-discontinued.html

It's about time the replacement is overdue

hand in hand a K5 price drop would make sense.

I bet Ricoh has a planned big announcement schedule for the new year (we could see MILC, 2 APS-C and a FF all at the same time wouldn't that make a statement in the marketplace!!!)
11-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Eddie, when has Pentax not typically run a 16-18 month product cycle? The K-r is barely over a year old - I'm sure a replacement is coming, but it is anything but overdue.