Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is it illegal to take pictures on Tarmac after getting off from plane ?

So this happened to me this saturday when I got off a US Airwarys plane through the back door onto the tarmac. Since we we let out by the air hostess, I though it was cool to take pictures off the surroundings from where I got off, but one of the officers nearby started shouting that I couldn't take pictures and it was a federal offence. I got about 5 shots, then I left when I heard him.

EDIT: This was at Boston Logan International on a flight from Ronald Reagan DC

Last edited by photoleet; 10-28-2011 at 01:20 PM.
10-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Afaik it is ok to shoot pics there. The cop was misinformed. To many cops and security guards are trying to trample on our rights.
10-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think so. I took a lot of pictures in several countries in Europe after getting off a plane and nobody ever complained. Sure, the US laws are a bit different, but I think they are even more loose than here. You should be fine until you start taking pictures of something "secret".
10-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #4

Different airports/airlines will have different rules. Sometimes they like to get people inside quickly, to prevent congestion, or delays to the maintenance crews. Had similar experiences in Amsterdam but not really a "not allowed". More a "hurry up". Thing is that if everyone with a camera started taking pics, it would be a delaying factor...

10-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

OP,
Which airport, what city?
10-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
OP,
Which airport, what city?
Boston Logan, OP updated
10-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #7

In the UK it could be seen, as in shopping centres, as photography on private property, which requires the owner's permission. Photography in a public place, no matter what some jumped-up jobsworth might try to tell you, is free and the ACPO have issued guidelines clarifying that to those in their organisations who can read. Key is that the prevention of terrorism legislation is NOT to be used to restrict that freedom and they'd better have a damned good reason for bringing it up.

BFN
David

10-28-2011, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #8
Banned

Welcome to the world without common sense, or the world were the cops get their cookies by busting your balls to show who is boss.
10-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

In Australia I have been prevented from taking photos in Shipping Ports (for an industry related job). This is post 9/11. The yanks have imposed rules on foreign ports if they want to trade with them.

In Aus the basic rule applies
1. It is legal to photograph almost anything unless it is unwillingly rude ie I don't want to have this reply deleted by using the wrong word
2. Any owner or any kind of land manager or person representing a land manager can tell you to leave and you must leave.

So you can't be told you can't photograph in a shopping centre, you can be told to leave and you must - I would think taking more photos is equivalent of not leaving. Same would be true on public land being managed eg a national park.

Interesting a commercial photo would be a photo on the cover of a book or on advertising, but not inside a book.
10-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it may not be illegal, as I believe any illegality etc.. is a function of whether or not you show details of security installations etc. BUT as a weekly traveller, I can tell you that you are definitely disobeying the policy of not using electronic equipment until you are inside the terminal building. THat policy is very clearly restated on every flight I take.
10-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I forgot to mention the Bob rule

Don't take or stop taking photos if someone gets upset. Be over the top apologetic.

However I carry my SLR dangling from my hand down by my leg on wide angle and snap police and military and the odd bouncer. i haven't had my head kicked in yet as I look the other way when I snap. Also do the camera around the neck trick holding the camera to my chest and finger on the button also on wide angle. (that rule is look unobtrusive, the other way and don't get caught.)
10-28-2011, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

How about photograph whoever shouted at you and post their faces online if they were wrong? If photography weren't allowed, put up some signs and let people know. Threatening people afterward is not good.
10-29-2011, 05:25 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
I forgot to mention the Bob rule

Don't take or stop taking photos if someone gets upset. Be over the top apologetic.

However I carry my SLR dangling from my hand down by my leg on wide angle and snap police and military and the odd bouncer. i haven't had my head kicked in yet as I look the other way when I snap. Also do the camera around the neck trick holding the camera to my chest and finger on the button also on wide angle. (that rule is look unobtrusive, the other way and don't get caught.)
Years ago when on holliday in Russia (time when Brezhnev was still ruling the country) i managed to take a lot of pics of russian tanks passing by while we where sitting in a touring bus

I was sitting near the window, looking inside the bus. The fellow sitting beside me was looking outside and told me when to press the winder button on my Pentax MX.
I never have seen a tour operator running that fast from the front of the bus to where the winder sound was coming from, that is, my camera
10-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
it may not be illegal, as I believe any illegality etc.. is a function of whether or not you show details of security installations etc. BUT as a weekly traveller, I can tell you that you are definitely disobeying the policy of not using electronic equipment until you are inside the terminal building. THat policy is very clearly restated on every flight I take.
so if he had been carrying a completely mechanical SLR, it would be OK?

I personally have taken photos out on the tarmac here in savannah, in Houston, Atlanta, Washington Dulles, Narita (Tokyo), Seoul, Manila, and more inter-island philippine flights than I can count and have never been stopped or even ‘hurried along’.

I think most people ignore the warnings given, as I see most people turn on and start using their phones before they even get off the plane, actually pretty much as soon as we touch down, and I have never seen anyone in trouble for it.

im not a weekly traveler but I do my fair share, so I see it a lot.
10-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Again, on the flights I am on they announce that it is ok to use your phone usually once the planed has finished the roll out on the main runway