Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #1

making a photography web site

I hope this is allowed here.

Where is a good place to make a photography web site?

Blogger?

Word press?

Buying a domain and doing it myself?

10-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I personally find blogger better than word press. I think word press can cost too? Or am I getting confused with another site? Either way blogger is free.

You could buy a domain and get it hosted. I've done that for another company and it came to about $200USD for three years including free domain registration.

The other alternative (depending on what you are wanting it for) is flickr or using gmail's albums. My understanding is that flickr is free up to the first 200 (?) photos, after which if yo want more space it's like $25USD/year. I'm saying all this off the top my head. You'd have to go and look into each of these options to confirm.

Gmail of course is free, but you don't have as much control over the 'look' of your website.

HTH!
10-31-2011, 06:30 AM   #3

Original Poster
both Blogger.com and Wordpress.com are free but you can register a domain at both. I don't know how much Blogger charges I think Word Press is 17/year but it says you can't advertise. Register a NewDomain — Support — WordPress.com
10-31-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
pixelpost

If you decide to buy a web hosting plan and get a domain name, you might want to look at installing Pixelpost to power your site. http://www.pixelpost.org/ It's free.
You should be able to purchase a domain name for $10/yr. Unless you expect a huge amount of traffic, you could find suitable hosting for less than $100/yr. I've used this company's least expensive plan and found their service to be excellent: http://www.varialhosting.com/hosting/shared/

Last edited by johnyates; 10-31-2011 at 09:17 AM.
12-06-2011, 01:16 AM   #5
Forum Member

You could sign up with Free Web Hosting with PHP, MySQL and cPanel, No Ads and install Coppermine on your site: Coppermine Photo Gallery
12-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for your help. I actually went with Wordpress.
12-12-2011, 06:31 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I also used Wordpress, but with the NextGEN and NextGEN Scroll Gallery plugins. Only took a few minutes to set up:

Tippon