Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is Olympus now "dead" ... ?! If so, who will buy it out ... Pentax/Ricoh, maybe?!

Bonjour,

The "Olympus scandal" is now red hot ...

Who will buy it out if it goes to a "worst case" scenario ... any ideas or info?

BBC News - Olympus warned of possible share delisting

BBC News - Olympus saga to have far-reaching consequences in Japan

Another opportunity for Pentax/Ricoh ... or if you prefer, just Ricoh?

Salut, J

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 11-11-2011 at 12:11 PM.
11-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Hoya for the medical instruments, and hopefully Ricoh for the camera division (it would finally shut up the Pentax will die without a 4/3 camera doomsayers)
11-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Hoya for the medical instruments, and hopefully Ricoh for the camera division (it would finally shut up the Pentax will die without a 4/3 camera doomsayers)
Not totally impossible, but with Q, m4/3th, K and 645 there is a lot of productlines. So I don't think so, but maybe some interesting engeneers to attract. Or some patents about shake reduction or AF.
11-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have had some great Olympus film cameras and glass in the past. When I went digital I was tossing between pentax and Olympus. It always looked that pentax was on more of a shaky ground. I think Olympus SLRs were already vulnerable and they could now be as good as dead. Who would buy an Olympus SLR system? happy I went pentax

11-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #5

I'm just glad Pentax does not have to go thru the same ordeal.
Pentax management have certainly handled tough times with class and integrity that we all can be proud of.
11-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yeah, we may see the imminent breakup of Olympus and Kodak. Who's next? And who picks up the pieces? I don't think Pentax-Ricoh needs nor wants the m4/3 line, not with more GXR mountors forthcoming. And Hoya already took the Pentax proctoscope line, so expect some other (larger) player to grab the butt-cam business -- Samsung? Some big pharma firm? Apple? (Yes, that would be funny ha ha.) I'd like to see Ricoh devour Kodak. I expect to see Panasonic devour much of Olympus. Or maybe Amazon will buy them all. Hay, Carlos Slim could snap them up with pocket change, just to play with. Weirder things have happened.
11-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been looking for the right informal phrase or word to describe the medical gear that gets inserted .... there. "Butt-cam" is perfect. Thanks!
11-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Who knows - Panasonic might want to buy out Olympus to remove another player from the 4/3 market. Or perhaps Nikon wants to buy a factory thats not underwater, so Olympus gets parted out. If i was pentax/Ricoh, i'd go hunting for some of their camera design staff, particularly the ones that work on AF and flash - why reinvent the wheel

11-10-2011, 11:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Olympus also has a strong microscopy side. I wonder who is going to snatch that up, Nikon maybe?
11-11-2011, 04:31 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I've been looking for the right informal phrase or word to describe the medical gear that gets inserted .... there. "Butt-cam" is perfect. Thanks!
Oh no, "Auspuff Cam" is better!

When I was in Germany some years ago I'd fallen in love with a few German words which sounded hilariousto my ears, amongst them was:

Auspuff (pronounced ouspoofff) Auspuff is the end of a cars exhaust - hence the Auspuff Cam.
Ausfahrt (pronounced ousfart) Ausfahrts are the exits off the German Autobahns
Schraubstock (pronounced shroubstok) Schraubstock is a bench vice or in American English, (said to be similar to English english ), bench vise

Greetings
11-11-2011, 05:56 AM   #11

"Butt-cam" or ?

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
If Apple would expand into medical imaging: the new sleek iPEEK. Available in gold, silver, pink and camo with simultaneous iTUNES entertainment and auto-post to Facebook. "Down with BM - Stink for yourself"
11-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zoneV Quote
If Apple would expand into medical imaging: the new sleek iPEEK. Available in gold, silver, pink and camo with simultaneous iTUNES entertainment and auto-post to Facebook. "Down with BM - Stink for yourself"
That would be "Stink Different", wouldn't it?
11-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just reading Bloomberg and there is room for more of this from Japan. KPMG Audits for the U.S. Public Company Accounting Oversight Board showed 2 of 2 companies audited had irregularities
QuoteQuote:
"The deficiencies identified in both of the audits reviewed included deficiencies of such significance that it appeared to the inspection team that the firm did not obtain sufficient competent evidential matter to support its opinion on the issuer's financial statements," the June 2010 report said, without naming the companies. Shortcomings included failing to test revenue properly at both companies. KPMG in a response letter said neither company had to restate its financial reports.

This much is certain: Olympus wasn't one of the two companies. The maker of cameras and endoscopes isn't registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission, although its shares and depository receipts do trade over the counter in the U.S.
some big players on KPMG'S audit list in japan including Ricoh and Panasonic

QuoteQuote:
For what it's worth, here are the U.S.-registered companies audited by KPMG AZSA, according to the firm's 2011 annual report with the board: Orix Corp., MS&AD Insurance Group Holdings Inc., Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group Inc., Ricoh Co., Komatsu Ltd., Makita Corp., Honda Motor Co., Konami Corp., Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corp., NTT Docomo Inc. and Panasonic Corp.
the whole article is

What Olympus-Like Audit Timebombs Lurk in Japan?: The Ticker - Bloomberg
11-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I can't really see any benefit to Ricoh in buying yet another camera company. It would just be extra (tainted) bulk and then they would probably cut some of each work force. I think Pentax alone is more than sufficient.
11-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh is better off pursuing a Sensor company than Olympus
Oly will probably end up with Panasonic they are the logical purchaser. if Oly disappears there is only 1 player in m43 if they keep them open they are just running a dual brand strategy and capturing more market while rationalizing some costs