Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
"You'll have to sign this form"

Her : You are trying to have professional pictures printed so you have to fill this form assuring us you hold the rights to these pictures.

Me : But they are MY pictures!

Her : Then take it as a compliment, and sign at the bottom...

11-16-2011, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Change the scenario just a bit- I take some of your photos in to get them printed and they don't make me sign a form...
11-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice one!
11-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
professional picture
WTF is a "professional picture". :LOL:
Perhaps I have the wrong opinion by my initial reaction is I don't want or need sales clerks enforcing or managing copyright.

11-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
WTF is a "professional picture". :LOL:
Perhaps I have the wrong opinion by my initial reaction is I don't want or need sales clerks enforcing or managing copyright.
I used to work at a photo lab many many years ago, we were told that the lab can get dinged with fines if they get caught duplicating copyrighted image. So it was the labs policy not to print "professional" photos unless it was accompanied with a signed document from the photographer stating that it was ok to duplicate or reprint.
11-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JenniferLeigh Quote
I used to work at a photo lab many many years ago, we were told that the lab can get dinged with fines if they get caught duplicating copyrighted image. So it was the labs policy not to print "professional" photos unless it was accompanied with a signed document from the photographer stating that it was ok to duplicate or reprint.
Problem is how do they determine you didn't take the picture. Duplicating a Print that has a copyright stamped on the back i can see. But a Neg or a digital file they have no means of knowing who took it. (ok the metadata in a digital file could have copyright info in it, but i could also strip that out in as little time as it takes to blink)
As for the old print, i could scan that, clean it up and bring it in for a reprint from a digital file. same issue then.
11-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Problem is how do they determine you didn't take the picture. Duplicating a Print that has a copyright stamped on the back i can see. But a Neg or a digital file they have no means of knowing who took it. (ok the metadata in a digital file could have copyright info in it, but i could also strip that out in as little time as it takes to blink)
As for the old print, i could scan that, clean it up and bring it in for a reprint from a digital file. same issue then.
They make you sign a waiver stating that you are the copyright holder or have permission to print the picture. If you misrepresent yourself, then you are on the hook, not them.

11-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My problem with all this is 1) what exactly is a "professional photo" and once that is defined 2) what qualifications does the clerk have to make that determination. 3) It implies that it's OK to steal non professional photos whatever they may be and 4) it assumes I am dishonest. 5) It's not the printers job to enforce or monitor copyright law.

11-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
5) It's not the printers job to enforce or monitor copyright law.
Uh, yeah it is when we are the ones that will get fined (or in an employees case, most likely fired) for making and selling the copy.
11-17-2011, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
Change the scenario just a bit- I take some of your photos in to get them printed and they don't make me sign a form...
I was not complaining... I just thought it was funny, AND a compliment.

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Problem is how do they determine you didn't take the picture.
If I sign the form, then they're not liable anymore. It,s a few seconds to protect their butts. I assume they had problems in the past, if they're asking for this.
11-17-2011, 07:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Uh, yeah it is when we are the ones that will get fined (or in an employees case, most likely fired) for making and selling the copy.
Ah cool. someone in the biz!

Perhaps you can tell me, are there regulations or legislation in place that stipulate you must do this, or is it strictly a CYA policy?
11-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Not really in "the biz" quite like you think. But I do have to deal with this often, just today as a matter of fact when someone wanted us to copy some WWE material. There is no law requiring us to do anything, other than not copy trademarked or copyrighted material. How we choose to handle that is up to the company. We actually don't require a release (I wish we did), but it's usually fairly easy to tell the difference in our specific case. It's either snapshots, studio shots (of which we have pre-arranged releases for a number of the national studios), or cartoon, movie, etc. characters/logos. The characters and such are an obvious no. Studio shots, I tell them they need a release. Snapshots, we just take them at their word. Anything else I use my discretion.
11-18-2011, 05:53 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
for the record, I'm in Quebec, Canada, so laws are probably different here...
11-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Humpf! So my lab has been dissing me by not requiring me to sign such a statement?
11-18-2011, 07:06 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Boy, I sure am glad we finally have a thread for discussing this!