Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh buyout of Pentax

I recently overheard a conversation in my local photo dealer the gist of which was as follows:
' Ricoh bought Pentax in order to get its hands on the profitable spectacle lens side of Pentax's business. The camera side has been given just a year to turn around and make a profit. This uncertainty is the reason why many retailers have stopped stocking Pentax gear.'
Has anyone else heard anything similar? Should Pentax users be concened?

11-17-2011, 07:53 AM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Froggy Quote
I recently overheard a conversation in my local photo dealer the gist of which was as follows:
' Ricoh bought Pentax in order to get its hands on the profitable spectacle lens side of Pentax's business. The camera side has been given just a year to turn around and make a profit. This uncertainty is the reason why many retailers have stopped stocking Pentax gear.'
Has anyone else heard anything similar? Should Pentax users be concened?
does pentax even MAKE spectacle lenses???

i think they're confusing hoya with pentax...
11-17-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Like I said to the same thread posted at pentaxuser, seems like salesman rubbish.
11-17-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

He's lying, most likely because he want to push another brand. Why should we be concerned?

11-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm pretty certain the Spectacle side of the business belongs to Hoya. It's always great to hear twits like this. All Ricoh's press releases were about the camera side of the business and how they wanted to grow it lol
When I hear mis-information like this I want to reach over and smack the offending party upside the head. It was i'm sure a sales tactic because they didn't carry Pentax

BTW detritus Pentax Did have a Spectacle division before Hoya
11-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Complete BS. Many smaller retailers stopped carrying Pentax when Hoya raised the minimum stocking levels some years ago. A lot of the older camera stores still resent that as they felt they built the Pentax brand and then got the rug pulled out from under them by Hoya. But that has nothing to do with Ricoh. Your sales person is uninformed or just trying to steer you to a brand he does carry rather than admit he does not have what you want.

One of the most important projects Ricoh needs to undertake is rebuilding the dealer network that was destroyed under Hoya's management. It will be interesting to see how they do.
11-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Unfortunately, I have come to view camera salesmen like politicians...if their mouth is moving, they are lying.
Regards!

11-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Unfortunately, I have come to view camera salesmen like politicians...if their mouth is moving, they are lying.
Regards!
Just Camera Salesmen
11-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #9

They are the 3rd largest seller of DSLRs in Japan, they are profitable. Not everybody has to sell cameras at the Nikon and Canon levels to be successful.
11-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I'm pretty certain the Spectacle side of the business belongs to Hoya.
No, it belongs to Seiko, so it could never have been part of the Ricoh-Hoya deal.
11-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup I'm pretty sure Ricoh only owns the imaging division (aka cameras). If you look at the acquisition price, the $800 million difference has to be accounted for somewhere...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #12
Oog
Forum Member

Froggy has a point though - here in Canada you can't buy a Pentax at Best Buy or Future Shop. You have to go to a photo shop, or London Drugs (imagine that - buying a Pentax at a drug store!). Pentax is trying to do more advertising in North America but there's more work to be done. It makes it harder already when people have the mindset that "I'm a professional because I have a $549 Canikon kit."
11-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup I'm pretty sure Ricoh only owns the imaging division (aka cameras). If you look at the acquisition price, the $800 million difference has to be accounted for somewhere...
I believe that also includes the Pentax sports optics (aka binoculars, scopes etc.) see this web site:
Digital Binoculars - Sport Optics by PENTAX
11-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote

BTW detritus Pentax Did have a Spectacle division before Hoya
and that would be ancient history

saying that pentax still makes spectacles is like saying that sony is still making transistor radios and nokia is still making paper.

anyway, i've heard enough BS from shop salesmen to know when to switch off and leave them to their fantasy.
11-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
No, it belongs to Seiko, so it could never have been part of the Ricoh-Hoya deal.
Exactly. Seiko acquired that division in 2004.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/82355-seiko-pentax-ins...tml#post834349

Talk about salesman BS with the glasses angle.