Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Apps & Uses for an iPad in the field ?

Not really sure where to post this so I guess here will do for now.

Just bought my wife an iPad 2 last week but she's not a real techie person and I'm using it more than she is (and downloading more apps and buying more Photography magazines) ! I have found an excellent free DoF app too. Anyone got any other photograph related apps to recommend ? Free or paid ?

It's incredibly easy to get photos onto the iPad via a cable to the iMac (as with any other HD - PC connection) however it's not so simple to get shots from an SD card, straight from the camera, onto it (using the extra adapter of course). Uploading from an SD card took ages (the only thing so far that's taken any time at all). Any tips on speeding this up ?

If I can take shots and upload them in the field (I'm thinking of an upcoming tour of NZ/Aus), and maybe add GPS co-ordinates to them, then this means I can then send them to DropBox for back-ups and remote downloading, plus have everything stored on a very small very portable medium enabling me to leave my laptop at home. Has anyone done this ? Any one found any other uses for the iPad and their photography ?

Sorry for the ramble .. just looking for ideas on how to combine this wonderful tool and photography.

11-22-2011, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use FlickStackr to upload to my Flickr account, Flickr still hasn't made an iPad native app.

Snapseed by Nik Software is probably the only editor you will need.

Snapseed

100 cameras in 1 is kind of cool.

100 Cameras in 1

As for transfer speed, are you shooting JPEG only or are you shooting RAW? If you shoot RAW+JPEG it transfers both.
11-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I just got myself 2 eye-fi cards. I bought an Eye-fi Connect X2 2 weeks ago (no geotagging, no public wifi hotspot support, no raw transfer and no adhoc transfer to a laptop when no wifi is present). I set it up to transfer to my android phone while out and about, and when I get home the files on my phone would then sync up to my PC - I was sold!

I just got the Eye-fi X2 Pro 8gb card. There is a seller on ebay and amazon (name is blinq), they sell store returns/refurbs, got it for just under $60 - a great deal! Anyway, the Pro will transfer RAW files, geotag your photos, join a large group of public/national wifi hotspots for free and can create a direct link to your laptop in the absence of wifi. Transferring RAW is great, but would only be useful if you have at least a 32gb Ipad. The app for the ipad/iphone is free, and it also works well. I tried it on my ipod touch and it worked the same as my android phone, with the exception that if the video files aren't compatible, the apple products won't 'hold' the video files for later upload to your PC. Other than that, it'll upload straight to your ipad, and then when on your home network it will also then transfer to your pc. Only thing it doesn't do is delete the files on your android/apple device.

JPEGs transfer in about 15 seconds, raw files about a minute (from the K-5).

I know the Eye-fi cards have been around for a few years now. I always thought it was a neat idea, but with small cards and limited transfer capabilities they seemed too much of a niche product. Being able to combine it with portable devices running android or iOS makes it a much better proposition, definitely worth checking into!

Oh you mentioned geotagging - I only took a couple photos at home, but the tagging was all within about 100ft, not too bad for something using wifi signals to triangulate location.

Last edited by pxpaulx; 11-22-2011 at 09:27 AM.
11-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I like Photosmith for the Lightroom integration, and they keep promising that the next major release will allow two-way importing from Lightroom (so you can import photos from LR3 into the iPad, tag them on the iPad while lying in bed or whatever, then sync them back to LR3 with all the tags). At the moment you can only import from the camera, do the tagging, then sync it to LR3, and as you've discovered importing from the camera to the iPad is a bit rubbish.

Photobuddy for the sunrise and moonrise times, DOF calculator, plus a dozen or so other less-useful calculators (Flash guide number, diffraction, exposure, etc).

The Golden Hour is a golden hour calculator, but has some nice extras e.g. based on your current GPS location it can tell you what angle and direction the sun will be coming in at specific times later in the day.

11-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I use FlickStackr to upload to my Flickr account, Flickr still hasn't made an iPad native app.

Snapseed by Nik Software is probably the only editor you will need.

Snapseed

100 cameras in 1 is kind of cool.

100 Cameras in 1

As for transfer speed, are you shooting JPEG only or are you shooting RAW? If you shoot RAW+JPEG it transfers both.
Excellent ! I've just bought and downloaded Snapseed - it's from NIK so that's comforting and it looks brilliant. Also downloaded 100 Cameras Lite to see if I like it before buying the full program. Thanks !
11-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I know the Eye-fi cards have been around for a few years now. I always thought it was a neat idea, but with small cards and limited transfer capabilities they seemed too much of a niche product. Being able to combine it with portable devices running android or iOS makes it a much better proposition, definitely worth checking into!

Oh you mentioned geotagging - I only took a couple photos at home, but the tagging was all within about 100ft, not too bad for something using wifi signals to triangulate location.
Thanks Paul. I bought an Eye-Fi card about 2 weeks ago (haven't got it working yet - you have to install the update before it will start and with download times so slow here - or their server is - it has timed out multiple times). However there doesn't seem to be any way to get it working on the iPad yet (no software version for it).

Last edited by Frogfish; 11-22-2011 at 10:52 AM.
11-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thoughton Quote
I like Photosmith for the Lightroom integration, and they keep promising that the next major release will allow two-way importing from Lightroom (so you can import photos from LR3 into the iPad, tag them on the iPad while lying in bed or whatever, then sync them back to LR3 with all the tags). At the moment you can only import from the camera, do the tagging, then sync it to LR3, and as you've discovered importing from the camera to the iPad is a bit rubbish.

Photobuddy for the sunrise and moonrise times, DOF calculator, plus a dozen or so other less-useful calculators (Flash guide number, diffraction, exposure, etc).

The Golden Hour is a golden hour calculator, but has some nice extras e.g. based on your current GPS location it can tell you what angle and direction the sun will be coming in at specific times later in the day.
I use A3 so the Photosmith program holds less attraction than for LR3 users. I have just bought and downloaded Photobuddy and The Golden Hour (doesn't seem to have a Blue Hour calculator included though more's the pity). Going to have fun playing with these tomorrow ! Thanks.

11-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Which version of Eye-fi card did you buy? I think only the X2 versions work with the android/ios apps. Here is the page on their website, X2 card versions all work for it, and the app is labelled as ipad/iphone (also works on my ipod touch gen 3).

Eye-Fi iPhone app - upload photos to your computer & the web from 1 app | Eye-Fi
11-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Which version of Eye-fi card did you buy? I think only the X2 versions work with the android/ios apps. Here is the page on their website, X2 card versions all work for it, and the app is labelled as ipad/iphone (also works on my ipod touch gen 3).

Eye-Fi iPhone app - upload photos to your computer & the web from 1 app | Eye-Fi
I bought the 8GB _ Wi-Fi Pro X2

Thanks for that link ! I definitely didn't see that when I bought it - now I should be able to get it working on the iPad. Muchos Gracias Seņor !
11-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #10

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
A great question Frogfish. I love my iPad and was wondering the same thing. I have Photoforge2 on my iPad. I am new to PP and I am not really sure what I am doing - although for the most part I am happy with what I have done with my PC and photoshop. Photoforge2 certainly covers much of what I do in photoshop so I have been happy with it. I don't have Lightroom so I wasn't looking for something that worked with it.
I am looking forward to seeing what others recommend.

bigted
11-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
Forum Member

I've got an Android pad, and I'll be using it with my camera too. Don't know about specific apps, but I'll link it to my phone for the internet, and transfer photos to either show them off on the larger screen, or crop and email them. I've got a bluetooth GPS unit too, so I'll hopefully also be geo-tagging photos. There are apps that allow you to do some basic editing, but I haven't tried any yet
11-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #12

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
I bought Photoforge2 and have been impressed with it (although I am a newbie at pp and don't have a lot of experience doing it). In checking out Snapseed I came across Luminance which was free (due to Thanksgiving) and I am giving it a look as I'll check out (almost) anything when it's free. If I come across anything else I'll post about it.

bigted
11-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #13
mel
Veteran Member

I downloaded on my Android phone this really cool app called The Photographer's Ephemeris. You can enter a location and date and it tells you when the sun and moon rise and set and the angle from a particular point that they do so. You know, for planning light for your location and such. I think it was about $5.