Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #1

Ricoh name in major tennis tournament

The Barclays World Tour Finals in London. Federer and Nadal are in it, so it is big. Ricoh logo very large and the only one on the umpire's chair. Also, when they do the replay it states the camera is Ricoh.

Not a big deal, I guess. Just encouraging to see some prominence for those who might be concerned about their long term solvency.

11-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not seeing the connection with Pentax DSLRs

But yeah, I've seen there logo all over the place at sporting events, the company is huge after all.
11-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Ricoh has been a minor tennis sponsor for long time. I say "minor" cause they seem to sponsor the line call instant replays and they often have their name on the court clock etc, but have yet to see the "Ricoh Open" or some such. (There might be on the women's tour for all I know -- I follow men's tennis pretty closely.) Tennis seems to be big with camera companies -- Olympus is the title sponsor of one of the summer tournaments (where they've been running their PEN commercial for the last couple years) and of course Canon has used top tennis players forever -- Agassi, and more recently Sharapova and Djokovic.
11-27-2011, 04:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh is present at a number of tennis tournaments. It may not be a major sponsor but it's presence is not to be overseen. Here on the only grasscourt tournament in Holland

So the marketing dept of Ricoh has much more money than Pentax. We just hope some of that money will become available for Pentax now and that the Pentax logo start to show up in tennis next year.
Since I like to shoot sports I have no problem to show the Pentax logo in my shots, even more if we as Pentaxians get free tickets for these events. .

12-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Until the signs say PENTAX it doesn't really matter. Outside of the hardcore camera junkies people still don't even know Ricoh owns Pentax.

I was talking with a wedding photog who has no clue about Pentax (literally knew nothing). She is by no means a industry power, but she has been working for 3 years and her business is getting better. I don't think she know anything other than Canon. She was a assistant for a couple that uses Canon, so she started using Canon, and that is all she has ever had in her hands. She has a good eye and does good work. She has zero interest in gear or brands.... I told her to keep it that way. Her 5DII, 85L 24-70L and 2 others in the bag (did not see what they were) are all she owns. She shot 18 wedding this year and her packages start at $2,600. She has 8 weddings already booked for next year.

Brand is really not that important.