Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DxO Tests NEX-7

DxO scores for the 24MP NEX-7 are up and it posts better numbers than the 16MP NEX-5N. Better DR and color depth and almost identical S/N.

Are Pentax users still opposed to seeing this sensor in the K-5 replacement? I think the 24MP sensor is going to be really strong in a Pentax camera.

I still think we see a Pentax K-5 replacement this spring with the 24MP sensor and the announcement of 2 new lenses.

11-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I just looked at it in comparison with K-5 and A77 and that is a very nice result.

An APS-C K-3 with this sensor would be very good.

I still rather would have a quality improvement per pixel then having 50 % more pixels.
11-29-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
Inactive Account

i like it
11-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I just looked at it in comparison with K-5 and A77 and that is a very nice result.

An APS-C K-3 with this sensor would be very good.

I still rather would have a quality improvement per pixel then having 50 % more pixels.
I agree. I would rather see an improved 16MP sensor, but 24MP has a few advantages if they can keep the IQ the same. I just don't care about the extra large files. Since I usually crop to a 4/3 or 5/4 aspect ratio for final printing the 24MP is nice.

If Pentax can improve the image processing side we could see a K-3 with noticeably better IQ than the K-5.

11-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I agree. I would rather see an improved 16MP sensor, but 24MP has a few advantages if they can keep the IQ the same. I just don't care about the extra large files. Since I usually crop to a 4/3 or 5/4 aspect ratio for final printing the 24MP is nice.

If Pentax can improve the image processing side we could see a K-3 with noticeably better IQ than the K-5.
The new Sony does look good in this test. The extra pixels doesn't mean that much to me. 24MP is getting close to the very good lens output. So I guess the extra pixels will show some IQ improvement if the noise to signal ratio is still good. I especially like ISO 50. Maybe I Pentax can get ISO 25 out of it. My guess is that we will see the 24MP in the next flagship model.

Dave
11-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That is most interesting indeed.
And I was wondering if there was a NEX -X equivalent for the existing 16MP sensor used in the K-5?
If so... we may be able to establish a ratio's to determine the most likely improvements between Pentax and Sony's implementations yes?
11-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That's an interesting result.

A comparison is here:
-> DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

I extrapolated from the A77 results that the Sony 24MP will not score worse than the Sony 16MP sensor and this new DxO result confirms it.

It doesn't have the exact same pixel quality of course (as visible when looking at 100% crops) but when printing or scaling, both will look the same. Except that the 24MP can theorectically resolve 20% more detail.

And whatever Pentax did in the K-5, Sony has still not learned to duplicate the trick: the K-5 is still king in dynamic range and has the higher score overall. Because NEX7 beats NEX5N (same 16MP sensor as K-5 and same mirror-less light path to sensor) in DR, it should have beaten the K-5 too. Kudos to Pentax

However, we don't know if we can apply a NEX7/NEX5N*K-5 ratio to predict a Pentax implementation performance. Whatever trick Pentax used in the K-5, it may be specific to the 16MP sensor.
11-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Whatever trick Pentax used in the K-5, it may be specific to the 16MP sensor.
lets hope not

11-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
Banned

But for the time being we event haven't seen Nikon using it, so maybe this is for Sony only.
11-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I shoot wildlife and I reallllllly hope it is used in the next Pentax camera. I now shoot the 7D and all those pixels really bring in detail. If Pentax uses it in there next camera I will be in heaven. I am also thinking of ordering the nex-7 after some reviews. This is exciting.
11-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
That is most interesting indeed.
And I was wondering if there was a NEX -X equivalent for the existing 16MP sensor used in the K-5?
If so... we may be able to establish a ratio's to determine the most likely improvements between Pentax and Sony's implementations yes?
The NEX-5n uses the same 16MP sensor as the K-5. Assuming the improvement is linear which is is not The 24MP sensor would have a DxO score of 86 if it was in a Pentax camera.

I would like to know how much IQ is effected by being constantly in LiveView for mirror-less cameras. I know on my K-7 heat/noise become an issue if used in LiveView mode for a long period. The sensor in EVIL cameras is always on and always generating heat. This has to effect high ISO shooting over a long period of use.
11-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I expected this, too. This sensor is going to make a helluva splash on the K5 and D300s replacement. I'm betting both will be announced at CES - maybe Nikon first.
11-29-2011, 10:26 PM   #13
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DxO scores for the 24MP NEX-7 are up and it posts better numbers than the 16MP NEX-5N. Better DR and color depth and almost identical S/N.

Are Pentax users still opposed to seeing this sensor in the K-5 replacement? I think the 24MP sensor is going to be really strong in a Pentax camera.

I still think we see a Pentax K-5 replacement this spring with the 24MP sensor and the announcement of 2 new lenses.
A77 is rather noisy in RAW (see various reviews) in spite of DXO tests. I don't think that 24 MP sensor will be strong in Pentax. Maybe not worse than K-5.
But it's more correct to compare K-5 and A77. Anyway, 24 MP APS-C sensor is VERY NOISY in RAW, and it's noisy at ALL ISO.
It looks like old D2X sensor with new NR technologies. It's MP race and trickery of users in modern consumer society.
Attached Images

Last edited by ogl; 11-29-2011 at 10:32 PM.
11-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #14
ogl
Banned

I'd prefer 16 MP FF CCD than 24 MP APS-C CMOS. As for me - DXO tests are like 3D Mark for photo amateurs.

Last edited by ogl; 11-29-2011 at 11:13 PM.
11-29-2011, 11:35 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Moving this to the general photography/ industry section.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: