Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
Forum Member

Trey Ratcliff, the end of the dslr

Just finished watching video on utube titled The Yosemite 2012 Photowalk. It is an interview with Trey Ratcliff about the demise of the dslr and coming "video" camera. Very interesting ideas on the future of photography. Half way through he discusses how people interpret photos etc. Give it a listen, you may learn something.

01-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

A link would help. Otherwise we'll just have to fantasize.

As for the future of photography, it's always volatile and unknowable. Predictions are always fun. Especially TEOTWAKI (the end of the world as we know it) predictions. The SLR is dead! So is the box camera! Except for Holga.
01-04-2012, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
01-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
Brooke Meyer

Thats what they said about Daguerreotypes

Lots of people still do it. Makes using film look like a Point & Shoot. The Daguerreian Society: Daguerreotypes by Charlie Schreiner

01-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I read it on his Blog.
For the thing he does (travel photography and mostly landscapes/places and HDR) it certainly does not matter if its smaller sensor with less options for DOF control and/or EVF/OVF.
Nice points brought up by him of course.
I have a G3 and would agree with him on most points.
01-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #6

The DSLR is dead! Long live the DSLR!
01-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Having done a ton of reading and question asking in search of info to make a sound decision on the purchase of my first dslr, I have come to realize the dslr may not suit my needs best. His comment about the mirrorless camera replacing the dslr for various reasons support my thoughts on the size and programming functions of the dslr. Those are my chief concerns and is what has kept me from making the leap. I am coming around to accepting the extra programming options they put in them, but the size is a real bugger. They are simply too big.

Anyhow, I found it interesting that I felt he was speaking directly to me! Been looking into the Sony Nex series.

01-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I expect to see a generation of mirrorless camera bodies that are usable in the same way as DSLR. Same great taste fewer moving parts.
01-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Lots of people still do it. Makes using film look like a Point & Shoot. The Daguerreian Society: Daguerreotypes by Charlie Schreiner
i did some of these in the mid seventies. part of a fine arts course at the time
fun but not something i want to do again (bromoils on the other hand )
01-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pichur Quote
Having done a ton of reading and question asking in search of info to make a sound decision on the purchase of my first dslr, I have come to realize the dslr may not suit my needs best. His comment about the mirrorless camera replacing the dslr for various reasons support my thoughts on the size and programming functions of the dslr. Those are my chief concerns and is what has kept me from making the leap. I am coming around to accepting the extra programming options they put in them, but the size is a real bugger. They are simply too big.

Anyhow, I found it interesting that I felt he was speaking directly to me! Been looking into the Sony Nex series.
which is absolutely ironic when i look at where he chose to speak about the demise. some of the most famous images ever were shot at yosemite using 8x10 view cameras. many people still go there to shoot large format, and Medium format is very common there .
Milcs are interesting in many ways but not much chance they will be the death of the slr any time soon. Too many pros for one like the feel and balance of a big DSLR (Stick an OS 24-70 2.8,70-200 2.8 , 3002.8 or 400 2.8 on a milc FF body and you'll hate it way too front heavy. What I think Milcs have done is revitalize interest in rangefinder type shooting (though they don't touch a good RF IMO but then an M9 is 7 grand plus another 3-11 grand for the lens)

I'm tempted enough by the new Fuji x-pro that i will likely sell a lot of stuff to get one with a couple of lenses, but I will still have my 6x7 and 1 film SLR and My K7 along with 7-8 lenses . there are times the milc is just not the right tool
01-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I read it on his Blog.
For the thing he does (travel photography and mostly landscapes/places and HDR) it certainly does not matter if its smaller sensor with less options for DOF control and/or EVF/OVF.
Nice points brought up by him of course.
I have a G3 and would agree with him on most points.
until of course you shoot your landscapes with a 645D or a nice large format and then print them LARGE
m4/3 as a serious point shoot for travel meh ok, but why when you can buy the upcoming Fuji.
the only advantage i see is size and that isn't always an advantage. for anything other than size the larger formats win
he has a narrow view of what the market is and is arguing for his vision.
formats have come and gone for years, but the tried and true tend to last (hence the reason the 645D for instance has done so well)
01-05-2012, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pichur Quote
They are simply too big.
For most men, the K5 already is to small. I preferred the look and feel of the K20D over the K5. With the K5 it already starts to become to small to handle. The buttons are so tiny, that they tend to be hard to find.

It frustrated me that people want to make the K5 even smaller! Why? If the product doesn't suit you, buy something else.

I hope it's just a trend... Like the supertiny mobile phones a few years back. The smaller, the cooler it was. Now, it's the other way around again. The bigger smartphone with the bigger screen, the better.

Miniaturisation: OK, but but other cool features in the spaces you saved. Like a solid state harddrive bay, active cooling, standard bluetooth, standard wifi, gps, etc.

Not everybody on the entire planet has the delicate features of the Japanese race.

Last edited by Clavius; 01-05-2012 at 02:32 PM.
01-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
until of course you shoot your landscapes with a 645D or a nice large format and then print them LARGE
m4/3 as a serious point shoot for travel meh ok, but why when you can buy the upcoming Fuji.
the only advantage i see is size and that isn't always an advantage. for anything other than size the larger formats win
he has a narrow view of what the market is and is arguing for his vision.
formats have come and gone for years, but the tried and true tend to last (hence the reason the 645D for instance has done so well)

Indeed, which is why I said his comments is reflective of what he does.
I did forget to add above that he mainly shows off the shots on his webpage (ie. normal viewing sizes) so a smaller file does not affect him.

That said, m4/3 isn't as bad as you say as an enthusiast travel camera.
Folks have done it with good results.
Traveling with my mirrorless pen
In China (Beijing , Shanghai and Xi'an) with the Panasonic GX-1 + pancake zoom

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
For most men, the K5 already is to small. I preferred the look and feel of the K20D over the K5. With the K5 it already starts to become to small to handle. The buttons are so tiny, that they tend to be hard to find.

It frustrated me that people want to make the K5 even smaller! Why? If the product doesn't suit you, buy something else.

I hope it's just a trend... Like the supertiny mobile phones a few years back. The smaller, the cooler it was. Now, it's the other way around again. The bigger smartphone with the bigger screen, the better.

Miniaturisation: OK, but but other cool features in the spaces you saved. Like a solid state harddrive bay, active cooling, standard bluetooth, standard wifi, gps, etc.

Not everybody on the entire planet has the delicate features of the Japanese race.
Actually it can also be argued the other way round. Canikon already makes big cameras, so someone else should make the small one

Speaking of delicate features, smaller hands and all, its not just the Japanese, the whole of East Asia does. That includes 'that one' with 1 billion people and a growing market from their middle class.
01-06-2012, 02:33 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
I expect to see a generation of mirrorless camera bodies that are usable in the same way as DSLR. Same great taste fewer moving parts.
What's so hot about having less moving parts? Everybody is ranting about that.

I'm guessing they're assuming it will guarantee a longer liftime. Sadly, that assumption is not correct. The shutters of mirrorless cameras have proven to last shorter then the ones in DSLRs. (They're using a big spacewaisting mirrorbox, then there's automatically room for a sturdy shutter.)

What do we care about longivity anyway? We sell the camerabodies off to get the latest model before the first real wear and tare start to show.
01-06-2012, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

I always get a kick out of these self styled experts going on about how some product or another is done. Pretzel logic can be used to make any point one cares to make.