Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Images and Copyrights....

I came across a set of interesting posts on the topic of Copyrights. The original poster had sought out a copyright attorney about one of his images being misused. Interesting read - followed up by yet another copyright attorney adding some additional information - as the original poster had apparently received some not perfect legal advice initially.

Anyway - it was an interesting read for me.....

01-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Each country has its own copyright laws. It can affect what you can photograph and how your material can be used. Assume that every country has different laws. Can anyone answer if each State in the US has different copyright laws or if there is one set of laws for the entire USA?
01-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I live in the UK, but I sell images both in US and Canada. Whichever agencie I deal with
always have there own copyright forms to fill in, even though I have my own.
Not once have I been allowed to use my own. It seems some are more stringent than
others in different parts of the states. All though seem to lay down normal guide lines, such as, you need owners consent if there is a reconisable face in the pic. In which case
it pays to carry model release forms at all times. Then there are rules and regulations on trade marks etc etc. But genraly, as long as pic confirms to all stated outlines the photographer has copyright.
01-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Each country has its own copyright laws. It can affect what you can photograph and how your material can be used. Assume that every country has different laws. Can anyone answer if each State in the US has different copyright laws or if there is one set of laws for the entire USA?
As to your question, the US Constitution specifies the copyright, therefore the federal government law prevails over all the states, for the sake of uniformity. Article I, Section 8, Clause 8 of the United States Constitution, is known as the Copyright Clause, empowers the United States Congress:
QuoteQuote:
To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.