Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New gear day tomorrow!

Going shopping! I found a bunch of Magic Cards from my childhood and collected a few pennies from them today. I'm excited to head down to my local camera store tomorrow and blow some cash.

I've decided I'm going to grab the Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG lens and the APO 2x tele converter. As well as a much needed backpack gear bag from Think Tank.

I also want to get a CSC camera for when the K5 is just too big to bring around (a situation coming up more and more unfortunately)

As a Pentaxian I was originally going to go and get me a Q. But I cannot figure out why I would pay $800 for it, especially when I can get a NEX-5 or a J1 for less money.

I'm so torn between these two cameras.

Sony has burnt me so bad in the past with every product I've purchased from them aside from the PS3. (Tv's, Laptops, stereo equipment, and personal audio equipment), but the APS-C size sensor and fantastic clearance prices are very intriguing.

Nikon I have past experience with in the P&S lines and love them. The ability to use F mount lenses on the camera with an adapter is great, especially since F mounts can be "rigged" to work on my K5 as well.

I know we got a few Sony NEX users on the forums, what do you like/dont' like?

01-07-2012, 11:18 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I'd buy a Fuji X100 or X10 before I'd get a NEX or a Q. The NEX is a great system but I don't like the size of their lenses and LCD only for framing pics.
01-08-2012, 04:37 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So Magic Cards still carry some value?
01-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
So Magic Cards still carry some value?
Surprisingly if you collected in the early 90's yes. But very few. (40 cards = $2000, the rest was junk) I was surprised too. I took BOXES of cards, comics, and other collectibles from my childhood into the local collectible store, and only left -1 box. That one box though got me quite a bit of cash. I have enough for this camera gear and some guitar gear I've been longing for. And the wife doesn't get to argue because I purged old junk!

01-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I ended up grabbing the Nikon J1 and a new backpack bag that holds all my gear with room for more.

I also threw on order a Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro as well as a Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 DG OS tele zoom. I was going to order the 2x Converter as well, but the Tammy is on special right now and I need a Macro lens to round out everything.

So whats next? I finally got a round collection of lenses to use, I got a decent bag, tripod. What other gear should I be focusing on getting now that I think I got my LBA quelled. I have a flash gun but rarely find a place where I can use it or a situation where I have needed it.