Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Crossing Lines from Designer to Photographer and Visa Vera

There is a very strong trend that is not abating and that is the ambidexterity and multi disciplinary capacities of several fashion designers to become their own photographers and perhaps creative directors of their own line of clothing, accessories etc.

I think that is great, as it really shows us that if you are creative, it doesn't really matter which tools you employ to express yourself and that the tool is just a means of concretizing the creative experience in to a viable product.

I myself have on occasion been asked to be a consulting creative director for brands as diverse as Lancôme, Dim, Club Med, etc. There are several designers out there that are employing very competent crews to aid in their realizing their visual goals, as would a film director, screen writer or producer. However, this does effectively diminish the possibilities of photographers whom had in the past been employed for their campaigns to seek work elsewhere. That is a tough call indeed!

It is for this reason, I am writing this post to say that I am seriously considering starting up a new line of clothing called "KanareK"…

I would love to get your feedback as well as your feeling regarding the new trend of multi-disciplinary creativity. Do you feel that it is here to stay, or just a trend due to a reaction to the economic malaise we are suffering at this juncture in time?

Let's Talk…

Benjamin Kanarek Blog | Benjamin Kanarek Blog

01-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've seen this going on for a long time in the less main-stream lines.

There are a few "big name" fetish and alternative labels, but the majority are small operations with little to no budget for a "proper" campaign, so many do their own shoots in-house.

I've seen some photographers closely work with an up and coming designer, become heavily involved with that company, then go on to be a distributor or become a full-time part of the company.

Same goes for a lot of the models and lots of mates-rates, bartering and friends being used rather than hiring pro models

With the smaller non main stream designers it's definitely a case of value for money and the lack of a budget to do a full-on campaign with pro models, a stylist, professional hair and make-up, artistic director, photograper and assisstants ......etc. Typicall it's a crew of 3 or 4 at the most and everyone knows everyone.

With the bigger companies I wouldn't be surprised if there's a push from share holders and the financial side of things. It would be getting harder and harder to justify that kind of money to a company board of directors when they can see the same thing (same thing in their eyes) being done by a team of 3 or 4 people on the cheap.