Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2012, 02:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm Sure He'll See It (Tumblr Thief)

I know all the arguments about the futility of trying to meaningfully protect any image one puts up on the internet, so spare me the lectures.

I have noticed that among the Tumblr photo thieves I have one guy who is a regular repeat offender, so since I'm sure he must follow my Flickr stream I thought I'd leave him a little message he would be sure to see:

Will it do any good? Almost certainly not, but I got a laugh out of it.

01-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've done something similar in the past with people who link directly to my pics on my site. Just put a jpg up with snarky text about bandwidth thieves. For some reason they never seem to stay up long.
01-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I know all the arguments about the futility of trying to meaningfully protect any image one puts up on the internet, so spare me the lectures.

I have noticed that among the Tumblr photo thieves I have one guy who is a regular repeat offender, so since I'm sure he must follow my Flickr stream I thought I'd leave him a little message he would be sure to see:

Will it do any good? Almost certainly not, but I got a laugh out of it.

HAHAHA nice Mike
01-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
I've done something similar in the past with people who link directly to my pics on my site. Just put a jpg up with snarky text about bandwidth thieves. For some reason they never seem to stay up long.
That's effective, but I like to have more fun.

I usually put up something not at all appropriate and get a good laugh if the hotlinking site then falls into discussion around the appropriateness of said image which most think was posted by one of their members.

01-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
There are pretty good scripts nowadays that can scramble image names several times a day on a website to avoid bandwidth theft. However, there is nothing whatsoever stopping someone from caching the files and displaying them remotely. Sadly... in short, there's really not much anyone can control the content they place on the the internet these days.
01-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
Banned

tis why I shoot film and keep a portfolio, in a book. its just easier that way, believe it or not. I doubt anyone would want to steal my photos anyway so it may not matter. however, I do enjoy browsing flicker, and any photo that has the active sharing feature with tumblr, I won't hesitate to use it and put them on my tumblr for photo inspiration, but they always get proper credit with link back to their flicker photostream. flowersandjazz.tumblr.com
01-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I don't really mind it too bad when a photo gets picked up by somebody who just randomly stumbled across one and blogs it. But this one particular guy keeps showing up so often that it is quite obvious he watches my stream for stuff to steal for his blog. That he goes by "Don't Reblog Me" is just priceless. He doesn't want people stealing from him what he stole from me? Hey, a**hole.....how about don't blog me in the first damned place?

Putting up an altered image to screw with them doesn't affect Tumblr thieves, as Tumblr facilitates the theft by copying content, renaming it, and hosting it on their servers. Then they want you to jump through hoops if you want them to delete what they have stolen.

They're in bad need of a good lawsuit.