Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2012, 06:51 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Kodak files Chapter 11

Former Trailblazer Kodak Files for Chapter 11 | Techland | TIME.com

Just a matter of time until a Chinese company buys the brand name.

01-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
and market some piece of junk that has nothing to do with the brand - see polaroid portable dvd players
01-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
Banned

The company invents the digital camera in 1975 then comes out with the first DSLRs in 1991 and 14mp full frame DSLR in 2002 is now deadmeat because of a lack of vision by it's leaders.

Last edited by jogiba; 01-19-2012 at 07:13 AM.
01-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The company invents the digital camera in 1975 then comes out with the first DSLRs in 1991 and 14mp full frame DSLR in 2002 is now deadmeat because of a lack of vision by it's leaders.
Yep, and they aren't the first company to take such a dramatic fall. Look at Nortel (I sold my moms nortel stock at $110, i feel pretty smug now then people said your nuts )

01-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thread moved to Gen Photo & Industry.

Mike
PF Moderation Team
01-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They have some great patent and they only do licencing with it

they could build some awesome body for cheap ...
01-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Different fame: Fuji & Kodak.
Fuji is growing , Kodak will be gone.
Important difference is corporate culture. Japanese company are looking at long term success, compare to american corporate who think quarter by quarter .
Remember Pentax is Japanese, think dont happen fast, that not their culture

01-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Different fame: Fuji & Kodak.
Fuji is growing , Kodak will be gone.
Important difference is corporate culture. Japanese company are looking at long term success, compare to american corporate who think quarter by quarter .
Remember Pentax is Japanese, think dont happen fast, that not their culture
My uncle used to work for a company that created presentations for Kodak. (That's how I used to get my Ektachrome processing for free) People from Kodak used to show him internal memos lamenting the fact that no matter what they tried, Fuji always had better consumer film. I think Kodak really blew it with Advantix, they should have gone digital then, by the time they realized that (if they ever did) it was too late.

Last edited by boriscleto; 01-19-2012 at 08:35 AM.
01-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
My uncle used to work for a company that created presentation for Kodak. (That's how I used to get my Ektachrome processing for free) People from Kodak used to show him internal memos lamenting the fact that no matter what they tried, Fuji always had better consumer film. I think Kodak really blew it with Advantix, they should have gone digital then, by the time they realized that (if they ever did) it was too late.
i agree to some degree but having been in camera sales then i don't think the market was ready for consumer level digital. Remember Advantix was just part of an apsc consortium pretty much every one participated (and built some interesting stuff) but it was a product without a market and not different enough from the existing Very good Point and Shoots that were around (I would have taken a Pentax WR90 over any of the apsc Point shoots myself.)
01-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I remember I bought my first digital camera (an Olympus... something) in the late 90's, and it lasted all of about 9 months then broke. Considering I paid $300 for it, it soured me on jumping back into digital photography for quite a few years, until I bought a Kodak P&S. I loved that camera, and it was working right up to the day someone stole it from me. One of my 2 explored Flickr images was actually taken with that thing. Kodak's big problem was it never capitalized on its name until it was too late to do anything with it. They were king of the 'cheap' camera for a reason, and they simply couldn't carry that through to the digital age.

EDIT: Here's the shot in question. I'd never even consider attempting this with my DSLR due to the risk of destroying it. My Kodak was cheap enough it was worth the risk.

01-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
EDIT: Here's the shot in question. I'd never even consider attempting this with my DSLR due to the risk of destroying it. My Kodak was cheap enough it was worth the risk.
Please don't tell me that this was taken from the driver's side...although if it was gutsy shot.
01-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Simian Summit Quote
Please don't tell me that this was taken from the driver's side...although if it was gutsy shot.
Drivers side, doing about 20mph or so. The moose decided he wanted to race me.

(from my Flickr desc of the shot)

QuoteQuote:
Some years back I was driving on one of the state roads up in Franklin County here in Maine when I came across a young moose in the road.

I stopped the car, not wanting to hit it, and it kind of looked at me, while I looked at it and I scrambled to get my camera out. (Being a recent Pennsylvania transplant this was an OMG moment)

I flipped the camera to video mode, filmed a while, then decided to leave the moose be and continue on my way. I slowly passed the moose and as I was pulling alongside, it decided it wanted to race me.

Now, I couldn't go too fast (I was afraid it would dart in front of me), but I certainly didn't want to be doing THIS all day either.

So I stopped the car, and the moose stopped running, looked at me like "WELL? I'm not done!" then started running with me again when I started back up.

Needless to say, I managed to capture probably a once-in-a-lifetime photo while trying to figure out how to get past it without one or both of us getting hurt in the process.

For what its worth, we probably paced each other for a good half mile before I managed to get far enough ahead that I felt safe getting back to road speed again.
01-19-2012, 11:33 PM   #13
Inactive Account

In my experience, Kodak point-and-shoot digitals were unimpressive. The pictures rarely looked "good", while my almost 6 yr old Canon produces some great images.
01-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

It is a sad day for the photography world that a icon like Kodak is folding.But I think this is the signs of the times.And you don't keep up with it and start thinking differently,then this will happen more often then not with big and small companies all over the world.By the way out of curiosity,did anyone or anyone you know ever invest in the Kodak Professional DCS Pro Back medium format digital camera,16mp resolution.Back in 2001,the price tag was around the $30000 dollar mark.I've got this article about it back in 2001 out of a old photography mag.Never heard or seen anything about them after this read.For the price I can understand why!!
01-20-2012, 02:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
It is a sad day for the photography world that a icon like Kodak is folding.
Under USA law, Kodak isn't 'folding' but is 'reorganizing' -- canceling debts and contracts and selling-off more assets, etc. Many firms have gone through Chapter 11 re-orgs and emerged fairly intact. Yes, Kodak could still be devoured, but it's not happening now. Yet.