Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Supporting a street youth in Peru who wants to be a photographer

Greetings to my fellow Pentaxians. I’d like to take this opportunity to tell you about a young man in Peru who, although living in poverty, has a dream to be a photographer. It’s possibly a crazy dream, but that makes me want to support it that much more.

If this is an inappropriate ask for this Forum, please accept my apologies in advance.

My name is Sean Kelly, and I work in the non-profit sector, in international development. My organization – Cuso, which has been around for 50 years – sends volunteers from Canada & the US to share skills with local organizations in the developing world. I work in communications, and had the opportunity to visit a youth employment centre we support in Peru.

One of the youth I profiled in a series of videos is a young lad named Oswaldo. You can see the short video here:
http://www.youtube.com/cusointernational#p/u/9/o4IlaiThk7E

He is a young father, and is working very hard to provide for his kids. He also has this dream of being a photographer. He is one of us; he is moved to take photos, to really see the world around him.

For a brief time, he had a used film camera that was donated to him. I had donated film and a lens and he used the rolls, but he can’t afford to get it developed.

I have learned that this old film camera is now broken and he can’t afford to get it fixed. I don’t think he should at this point.

So, here’s the point of this message. I’d like to raise funds/solicit donations to give Oswaldo a:

Digital camera
A lens or two
Portable hard drive
A bit of money to develop film

Oswaldo can visit the local youth employment centre to download photos to the portable harddrive. He has taken workshops in entrepreneurial skills, and wants to try to offer low-cost photography services to people in his community.

I am asking the Pentax community if they can help. I am a long-time Pentax shooter – I still shoot film with a Spotmatic, and I also havea digital K-X. Like many of you, I still shoot with old-school lenses (my current fave is a Pentax K 55 f1.8).

I have a nice small Pentax-F 35-70 zoom I can donate, along with some filters, lens cleaner, etc. But I need to get a used DSLR for Oswaldo.

I thought I’d put this out here, because there may be someone with an older DSLR they don’t use, and others who may be able to contribute to a fund to purchase the other things needed.

I know we all get asked to give to charities, so I appreciate your patience with this message. I just want to try to help Oswaldo – he seems pretty committed to his dream.

I have a colleague who can get the camera & supplies to Peru. And for those who can donate, I want to follow Oswaldo’s progress and give you updates. Maybe Oswaldo could create a Flickr account to share his photos.

I am doing this as an individual and photography fan, so I can't offer charitable tax reciepts.

Thank you for your time.

01-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
G'day Sean,

Glad to hear from you and to see that Oswaldo is passionate about starting a business. The video is great. I'm very happy to help out in some way, I don't currently have a lense or body to spare, and the only hard drive I can offer has been wet at some point so I wouldn't be happy having someone's work on it.

If you set up a paypal account etc, I will donate some money.

I imagine that having a high quality printer and paper would be very useful to him and his customers. Do you think the printed image is more relevant there where digital displays are rare?

I'm sure there are plenty of old digital bodies and spare lenses on this forum ready to go to a new home. What kind of lenses do you think he may benefit most from? If you can be specific, then we can get exactly what's needed.

Thanks,
Tim
01-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hi Tim, thanks so much for the offer. I have a paypal account - I can email you the details.

You are right about a printer - I hadn't thought of that. It depends on how much I can raise. It makes a lot of sense though. I'll ask my contacts in Peru how much it would cost to buy one there (to avoid shipping).

As for lenses, I guess I was thinking of a general kit lens or equivalent (such as the Tamron 17-50, used). If money or donations allow, perhaps another lens. A nifty fifty would be nice - old ones are cheap to find.

Thanks to you, and others, for the support. I know when I helped Oswaldo a while back, he was so touched by the thought of photographers from other countries wanting to support a burgeoning photographer like him.

- Sean
02-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Skism,

I haven't received any info from you, would you like to private message me and we can use email from there?

Regards,
Tim