Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
How many people here are optimistic for Pentax's future? ^_^

Just want to open a discussion here to see how many of us are loyal and care about Pentax.

We all know Pentax had been through a tough road in the past 10 some years or so. Now this brand is in Ricoh's hand. Based on Minolta/Konica and some more like Yashica etc. Well I'm quite worried about the future of Pentax brand. Ricoh used to have several popular consumer cameras in the film era but can Ricoh save it's own camera business and save Pentax brand? I don't see Ricoh has any interesting innovation in it's whole life for me.

Oh my! I am not on Ricoh side.

Last edited by benhai; 01-31-2012 at 02:04 PM.
01-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Optimal? You mean optimistic, right?

"I don't see Ricoh has any interesting innovation in it's whole life for me. " -- some others might not feel that way. Ricoh definitely has innovation on its side, but perhaps not to you...
01-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #3

I just wish they had presence in India... India is an emerging market and already Canon/Nikon have captured a large share... Make the Pentax noise heard there!
01-31-2012, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm unsure about Pentax's future. I don't see them realistically going head-to-head with Canon & Nikon in pro DSLRs, but I could very easily see Pentax doing quite well in other areas, like mirrorless. At this point in my life, I'm so heavily invested in the Pentax system that I'd lose quite a bit if I were to change systems, so I'm in it for the long haul. For my purposes, I could probably buy a K5 today and it would serve all my needs for the remainder of my life.

01-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Ricoh already goes head to head with Canon in the copier/printer/MFP business, and is doing very well too. Now they bought Pentax, probably to launch an assault on a second front.

So, I'm more optimistic now, then I was when Pentax was under Hoya!
01-31-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by benhai Quote
Just want to open a discussion here to see how many of us are loyal and care about Pentax.

We all know Pentax had been through a tough road in the past 10 some years or so. Now this brand is in Ricoh's hand. Based on Minolta/Konica and some more like Yashica etc. Well I'm quite worried about the future of Pentax brand. Ricoh used to have several popular consumer cameras in the film era but can Ricoh save it's own camera business and save Pentax brand? I don't see Ricoh has any interesting innovation in it's whole life for me.

I could care less about the pentax brand, than a camera being available that I can mount my lenses to.

At this point, although I would have to give up my AF lenses if pentax were no longer available, I can easily see swithing to canon (because a mechanical adaptor exists where infinity focus is possible, and keeping my collections of K and M42 lenses.

But what is the point of speculating. unless you are looking to kill off a market sector, they would be complete idiots to stop making the cameras. I could care less about the name on the front than what is inside and what you can moount to it.
01-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax looks good to me.
I have no reason to switch even though it is pretty easy to do so - I'm sure there'd be a lot of interest in my FA limiteds...

01-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's not about loyalty per se, it's about being invested in a DSLR system. If I had good reason to switch I'd do it in a heartbeat. Every system will have its compromises and for me Pentax is still a good fit. Of course I want Pentax to succeed, and to do so while maintaining its unique good qualities.

Ricoh used to have several popular consumer cameras in the film era
So what -- that era is over; all the manufacturers had to make big adjustments or die. I see no reason for pessimism about the long-term viability of the Pentax brand.
01-31-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I joined last year and I'm loyal. Even if nothing else comes out, I'll go get me a k-5 or two and be set.
01-31-2012, 02:19 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Optimal? You mean optimistic, right?

"I don't see Ricoh has any interesting innovation in it's whole life for me. " -- some others might not feel that way. Ricoh definitely has innovation on its side, but perhaps not to you...
Yes, thanks for correcting my grammar! I disagree with you regarding Ricoh is purely personal. Ricoh is a typical Japanese company that can refine things but nothing exceptional beyond that to me. That's one of the reason why I don't think Ricoh's culture would bring Pentax team the courage to implement things quick and correct. What's more, not many company can merge same type of businesses very well. I had seen too many failures in the semiconductor business. Some companies just bought other company for the market share and sale structure and then get rid the whole team after one year. I wonder what could Ricoh do with Pentax team? The Pentax design team may had already been in depression mode. That's a big job for Ricoh if he really wants to challenge Nikon and Canon in camera business. Things need to be done quick and right.

Last edited by benhai; 01-31-2012 at 02:30 PM.
01-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I see no reason to be pessimistic about the future of Pentax, and I'm an avowed cynic.
01-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I don't see Ricoh has any interesting innovation in it's whole life for me.

I don't understand how you can say that Ricoh is not innovative. They are easily one of the most innovative companies in the business. Their GXR camera is like nothing else out there; with it's lensors, upgradable sensors and lens modules. This is a great idea, and they've got it right with the new M-mount system. Aside from constant innovation, what you will see in the review of a Ricoh is that the controls are very photographically oriented. Photo-centric controls set Ricoh apart from the 4/3 and Fuji competition. You should head over to DP Review for a look at their models, like the GX100 for example:

"The GX100 has several features to set it apart from the majority of 10MP compacts, most interestingly a 3x zoom lens with an unparalleled wideangle capability, covering a range equivalent to 24-72mm on a 35mm camera. This equates to an increase in the diagonal field of view of around 20 degrees field of view compared to the 35 or 36mm short end of most compact camera zooms - that's a huge difference if you're shooting interiors or landscapes. The GX100 is also the world's first digital compact to offer an (optional) removable electronic viewfinder, which slips into the flash hot shoe and tilts upwards through 90 degrees.

Like the GR-D the GX100 offers 'SLR like' control thanks to twin control dials, raw capture (using the 'universal' DNG format) and a high level of customization options. All this, combined with the somber design and finish, is designed to leave potential purchasers in no doubt that this is a serious camera for serious users wanting an alternative to an SLR that they can slip into a jacket pocket. On paper the GX100 offers a uniquely appealing mix of features, so let's find out how well it does in practice, starting as ever with the headline features."

Ricoh are number one in the field of photocopiers and have clearly stated they intend to give Canon a run in the camera business. I am very very stoked about having Ricoh as an owner. They haven't caught a lot of attention from general consumers, but that could change quickly with some new Pentax and Ricoh bodies and lenses.
01-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I see no reason to be pessimistic about the future of Pentax, and I'm an avowed cynic.
Hope this is true
01-31-2012, 02:35 PM   #14

Back in '97, my beloved Apple was dead in the water. Now it is the most valuable company in the world. What changed? Company leadership and vision. They had the talent and resources *just like I believe Pentax does*. I'm optimistic.
01-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Ricoh already goes head to head with Canon in the copier/printer/MFP business, and is doing very well too. Now they bought Pentax, probably to launch an assault on a second front.
I never quite understood why Ricoh purchased Pentax, but I think this is best case scenario. If Ricoh is really motivated to challenge Canon in the photography field, that will mean new toys for me

I am optimistic about the future of Pentax, if only because I dont need much. A new camera every few years, some new lenses once in a while and I'm happy. I'm not about to spend $5,000 on a camera no matter what, so it doesn't matter much to me if they offer one. In fact, I think I benefit from not having a high-end camera from Pentax, as there is no "Pro" market to protect, so all their goodies go in to their prosumer stuff.