Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 04:50 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Well, there is still plenty of time to make Tav available at least via the menu (if not via the dial). #Fingerscrossed#

02-03-2012, 04:52 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JanG Quote
Well, there is still plenty of time to make Tav available at least via the menu (if not via the dial). #Fingerscrossed#
How would you use Tav with just one dial?
02-03-2012, 04:55 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Aperture: directly on the dial, shutter speed: press red button and turn dial (or vice versa) - actually not that much of an issue although not as comfortable as with two dials
02-03-2012, 04:56 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Agreed, Tav with one dial is not the real thing. But you could always allow Auto ISO in M mode to get the same functionality.

02-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #20

Agreed, Auto ISO in M would be another good solution.
02-03-2012, 05:11 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I guess and hope the K-02 will have:

- Different design.
- The area between the grip and mount a lot deeper to make the camera look thinner.
- The grip and "mirror house" in other color or material to distinguish it from the back part of the camera
- Flash moved and integrated into the front rather then on the top to make the camera less tall.
- Basicly the same interior except choise between Li-Ion and 2xAA.
- Optional EVF for the flash hot shoe.
- New strap with more subtle design.
- 14 bit DNG
- Sweep panorama

Accessories:
- New ultra thin normal zoom that occupies part of the "mirror house". (IE. Incompatible with dslr)
- New ultra wide or fisheye that occupies part of the "mirror house". (IE. Incompatible with dslr)
- Two or three toy pinhole lids with different focal lengths.
02-03-2012, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #22
Forum Member

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm a lone voice in this, but personally I think it would be super cool if K-02 is better than K-01 and subsequently K-03 better than K-02. Go through the numbers sequentially and everyone will know that 07 is better than 06 and 684 better than 683. Then again, we don't usually get multiple generations of cameras in stores, usually just the current one and whatever stock is left over. The value of that sort of simplicity might be lost. That's more or less all I can think of at the moment.

02-03-2012, 05:21 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
I guess and hope the K-02 will have:
Lots of good suggestions, but I'd prefer to have the EVF integrated in the space-saving way it is done on the NEX-7.
02-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #24
Veteran Member

K-02: Same body as K-01 but FF sensor ... at K-5 MSRP
02-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Love it or hate it, the K-01 is an interesting stepping stone.

I am actually surprised that Pentax chose to introduce it alone, with no similar sister camera, like Nikon and Sony did with their mirrorless introductions.

A "good" and "better" (I'll leave "best" to FF mirrorless!) product range at launch would have reduced the flak greatly, I think.

I would imagine a higher-tier K-0 will be not too far off. Here are my guesses:

- Same overall design as K-01
- Addition of built-in EVF
- Inclusion of TAv mode
- Addition of front control dial
- Less toy-like mode dial
- All black body and dials

If they could also make it WR, that would be the cherry on the cake.

I actually think that will be quite nice.
My gues is that the K-02 will be the same as the K-01 but with an port added below the hotshoe to take the GRX EVF. Most likely after the first or second production run of the K-01. So within 6 months.

I will then expect to see the K-300 (K-r upgrade/replacement) to be announced in May. Will kind of look like the K-01 but with a optical pentamirror. Maybe with a hybrid optical/digital VF) Then a K-30 (K-5 upgrade/replacement) to be announced in August with a pentaprism optical/digital hydrid VF. With the hydrid viewfinders (using either the Pentax pantent or the Samsung transparent OLED) there will not be a need for a true mirrorless EVF model.

Dave
02-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #26
Forum Member

K-02: newer/better sensor, same size; (the Fuji X-Trans or the Exmor on the NEX-7 look nice); same design minus the chimney, a bit wider on the left hand side; EVF.
07-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #27

Lack of viewfinder is a reason that i will never buy K-01. If it have EVF like OMD or NEX7, i will have no doubt to buy it one.

Last edited by RKIT; 07-11-2012 at 07:38 PM.
07-11-2012, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

About the TAv.. the K-01 already allows TAv, just go into M and set auto ISO. The only limitation is the lack of exposure bias.
What I would like to see with this camera is maybe a rangefinder-style viewfinder, even if its basically just a hole that adapts to the zoom (or rather focal length) of your lens.
I have a K-01, the only thing I would like to see is more AF options. Allow a mode that tries to get as much as possible in focus and one for hyperfocal zone focusing. Improve AF algorithms, maybe even add PD AF.
Another thing might be the green button placement, I'm still not used to it. And a swivel screen might be nice, even with limited swivelyness.

Edit: Oh, and of course a great sensor with huge dynamic range and bit depth, but.. well, you know how that goes..

Last edited by Na Horuk; 07-11-2012 at 02:05 PM.
07-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #29
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aheadfordinci Quote
Exmor on the NEX-7 look nice
I've run a few hundred pics through the nex 7, and also done exctensive comparison & contrast between the nex 7 to the K-01. Even though the Pentax K-01 is about 16mp and the nex7 about 25mp... The sensor on the nex7 just doesn't do all that much better.

I've also seen the sensors in the newer Nikons and Canons at about the same mp sensors as the Pentax, and they destroy the results of the nex7.
08-26-2012, 03:44 AM   #30
Forum Member

The K-01 has some glaring faults and some brilliant strengths. Making theK-02 better will be a balancing act.

First it must take KAF2 lenses, but that means it will be as deep as theK-01 and cop all the same criticism of being no smaller than a DSLR. Theback-focus distance determines how thin the camera can be, but not how wide,high or light. Perhaps a pure box design based around the depth limitationcould work; maybe a grip could compact into the unused space inside the body;maybe a “prism” with an EVF and/or flash could? Either would reduce the overallcarry size and keep it near SLR size for use.

All-metal is nice, but the flimsy rubber flaps have completely negated thatfact for most reviewers, leaving a heavy camera with criticisms for buildquality, and it isn’t even waterproof (despite being neon yellow). Compare thatwith what Olympus managed to pack into the OM-D and it looks a bit light onfeatures. A sturdy rubberized ABS (including doors) on stainless-steel withwater proofing like the K-30 would be better all-round and lighter. If theywant something a bit different, how about a grainy leatherette finish?

Ultimately what led me to not buya K-01 and get a K-r instead (wish I’d known the K-30 was coming!) is the lackof a viewfinder OR articulated screen. I’d have settled for either. The chunky uncomfortableergonomics, disconcerting rubber flaps and near-DSLR weight made it ano-brainer. A MILC that big and heavy that is waterproofed, feels sturdy, is comfortableto hold with a best-in-class EVF is worth buying.